Dev

Your opinion on Damos neigong?

I was advised to be skeptical of fluff and Damo adding his own things into his practices, but I've also been told that he knows what he's talking about. I'd like to hear any anecdotal experiences about Damos academy/books/resources, whether you found it to be good, if you hit any glass ceilings with his methods, if he's credible, reliable, and as knowledgeable as he seems. How accurate is the theory that he presents in his books? Or if you are knowledgeable of neigong theory, whats your opinion on his work and information? Which parts of his theory are credible, which parts aren't? Any and all anecdotes and opinions are appreciated :) 

A good rule of thumb for any teacher: 

"By the fruits, ye shall be known." 

Observe his students versus what he claims he imparts. Do this for any teacher you encounter and their students. 

More importantly, see if they're having fun, are healthy, joyful, and supportive.

This should help you before narrowing down the inevitable discussion for and against Damo specifically. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

A good rule of thumb for any teacher: 

"By the fruits, ye shall be known." 

Observe his students versus what he claims he imparts. Do this for any teacher you encounter and their students. 

More importantly, see if they're having fun, are healthy, joyful, and supportive.

This should help you before narrowing down the inevitable discussion for and against Damo specifically. 

Great tip, thanks :) 

Damo's teachings, in terms of his later book's and (often free) video's, are a great place to start on your path, particularly as they give an accessible introduction to the systems he prefers. He is originally a martial artist from North Wales, hence talks and teaches in a very specific and Western style, which is great for folks who have little or no exposure to Asian language and culture, but does not suit the modern 'Woo Woo', self help, new age spirituality style.   

All decent teachers get criticized, both rightly and wrongly, but it will be some time before that would be an issue - opinions vary, as they say. In Damo's case this relates mainly to his diluted theoretical explanations, more acceptable to a 'mainstream' Western audience, and his practical interpretation, even condensation of physical methods that he has found work for him. Of late he has largely removed most of what some would call Western 'fluff' from his published teaching, as it's evolved a lot over the last few years, referencing the classic cannon far more in his later materials.

Hope that helps.            

• Like 3

I've found a lot of value in Damo's Comprehensive Guide to Neigong. I'm still trying to wrap my head around White Moon on Mountain Peak but I'm hoping this Martial Man course will help me decipher it a bit better.

• Like 3

I found his style wuji to be counterproductive for me. But this is how with any teacher - it is useless to gather anecdotal evidence, what matters is your personal experience, not somebody else's. His courses are very accessible, just try them at a nominal cost and judge yourself.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2021 at 8:11 AM, Chainer said:

In Damo's case this relates mainly to his diluted theoretical explanations, more acceptable to a 'mainstream' Western audience, and his practical interpretation, even condensation of physical methods that he has found work for him.       

Have you ever taken one of Damo's courses? He explains things in a manner and depth unlike anyone I have ever witnessed...the depth at which he is able to speak on topics usually summarized or not explained by other teachers (many of which simply dont know)

You'd be extremely hard pressed to find anyone who can discuss these things at such lengths

• Like 4

On 06/09/2021 at 12:20 PM, Dev said:

I was advised to be skeptical of fluff and Damo adding his own things into his practices, but I've also been told that he knows what he's talking about. I'd like to hear any anecdotal experiences about Damos academy/books/resources, whether you found it to be good, if you hit any glass ceilings with his methods, if he's credible, reliable, and as knowledgeable as he seems. How accurate is the theory that he presents in his books? Or if you are knowledgeable of neigong theory, whats your opinion on his work and information? Which parts of his theory are credible, which parts aren't? Any and all anecdotes and opinions are appreciated :) 

1. There is no "fluff".... In addition to practical instruction...Damo often lectures around topics at length, and it's because of that most of his students understand the mechanics of the processes to a very high degree..both theoretically and experientially 

2. He is absolutely credible....His methods are Quanzhen/Longmen as posted on his website....he teaches the foundational methods needed to get everything going which I know a few other Longmen teachers do not teach....any practice is almost pointless without strong foundations....a hard reality to accept for many....but one better accepted early on

3. His information is sound....you need not worry about that

• Like 7

I've only recently found his youtube channel. I haven't taken any of his courses or read any books or articles, but I've listened to a bunch of his "chats" on youtube. I don't hear anything wrong or unreasonable. Seems worth checking out for sure. 

• Like 1

On 06.09.2021 at 2:22 PM, Earl Grey said:

Exactly. Bullseye.

It is comical to me that some people instead of discussing actual fruits of practice, refer to read some book. Read this and you will understand what you gonna get in 20 years of practice...

Like no, a book is just paper with words. Nothing that is written there is even real, unlike actual produce of teaching = students.
A short talk/discussion on practice with a student/practitioner of any teaching is usually enough to make conclusions.

Edited by XianGong
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, Dev said:

any anecdotal experiences about Damos academy/books/resources, whether you found it to be good, if you hit any glass ceilings with his methods, if he's credible, reliable, and as knowledgeable as he seems. 

Did you sign up for any of his online courses or his Internal Arts Academy?

The problem is not the material. It is the temptation to read the material, and believe you've achieved or absorbed it merely by reading it. 

Damo gives several warnings and makes clear the time frames involved for laying foundations, advises that you should find a credible teacher, advises that you should not practice if taking substances or mentally ill, but this will not stop people from skipping steps and laying a bad foundation. 

Better to read Damo's material in an academic sense, or as a reference point; take seriously his forewarnings, use the basic exercises like sung breathing ; and then spend your limited time and energy to find a good teacher.  Practice, forget the material, and remember when it becomes relevant again through experience in your practice. 

Edited by ordoabchao

On 4/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, ordoabchao said:

The problem is not the material. It is the temptation to read the material, and believe you've achieved or absorbed it merely by reading it. 

Damo gives several warnings and makes clear the time frames involved for laying foundations, advises that you should find a credible teacher, advises that you should not practice if taking substances or mentally ill, but this will not stop people from skipping steps and laying a bad foundation. 

Better to read Damo's material in an academic sense, or as a reference point; take seriously his forewarnings, use the basic exercises like sung breathing ; and then spend your limited time and energy to find a good teacher.  Practice, forget the material, and remember when it becomes relevant again through experience in your practice. 

Agreed. Though, as a former member of the academy, if your goal is to reach the highest stages of practice, find an in-person teacher. Damo has too many public students, and his lineage is seated Neidan, a bit different from the more direct Neidan lineages. Look for any teacher who knows the methods for Ming Gong. Replenishing the pre-heaven substances and laying foundations. These teachers will take you far. Damo is a good jumping off-point for anyone who has never felt Qi. There are many other teachers though if you are willing to travel and search

• Thanks 1