Apech

Caduceus - staff of Hermes

5 minutes ago, manitou said:

aah!  a clue!  there is NO eye contact.  <_<

There's a difference between normal love making and tantric love making.  :)

One thing that interests me is the fact that Hermes was a psychopomp and so a traveller between worlds - and the god of 'merch' - merchantile skills - exchange and so on.  We live in a duality and yet search for the non-dual.  When snake eyes meet snake eyes then there is recognition ... mind rests in mind ... awareness in awareness ... 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Apech said:

One thing that interests me is the fact that Hermes was a psychopomp and so a traveller between worlds - and the god of 'merch' - merchantile skills - exchange and so on.  We live in a duality and yet search for the non-dual.  When snake eyes meet snake eyes then there is recognition ... mind rests in mind ... awareness in awareness ... 

LJoXjlNg.jpg

• Like 2

Wow.  that's beautiful.  I am going to do a painting of that, maybe zoomed even further.

Edited by manitou

On 8/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Apech said:

If you consistently find yourself looking at the back of her head, you may be doing it wrong.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, manitou said:

Wow.  that's beautiful.  I am going to do a painting of that, maybe zoomed even further.

Deleted  ... ( I  will PM you instead )

Edited by Nungali

Referring to the OP, the way the serpent heads are shown from the side makes each of them resemble a single human eye. ;)

The Hermes staff ending in a pair of eyes also seems in keeping with its attribution to the planets in their respective signs in the zodiac. On top of this scheme you find the Sun and the Moon, which are traditionally considered analogous to the eyes.

571cf4ac820f3de1fdb8a260c6da392f.jpg

This is basically an abbreviated version of the latter from an alchemical book:

caduceus-sun-and-moon.jpg

This view essentially regards the caduceus as a Hermetic equivalent to the shushumna, with ida and pingala being represented by the two serpents. 

d8d074d95b971bfd17ec3e5f4232e327.jpg

Now if the serpent heads are meant to represent eyes, then perhaps their "beards" should be seen in connection with a feature which the Eye of Horus is often depicted with.

images-2.png

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

Referring to the OP, the way the serpent heads are shown from the side makes each of them resemble a single human eye. ;)

The Hermes staff ending in a pair of eyes also seems in keeping with its attribution to the planets in their respective signs in the zodiac. On top of this scheme you find the Sun and the Moon, which are traditionally considered analogous to the eyes.

571cf4ac820f3de1fdb8a260c6da392f.jpg

This is basically an abbreviated version of the latter from an alchemical book:

caduceus-sun-and-moon.jpg

This view essentially regards the caduceus as a Hermetic equivalent to the shushumna, with ida and pingala being represented by the two serpents. 

d8d074d95b971bfd17ec3e5f4232e327.jpg

Now if the serpent heads are meant to represent eyes, then perhaps their "beards" should be seen in connection with a feature which the Eye of Horus is often depicted with.

images-2.png

That's more or less where I was heading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Apech said:

That's more or less where I was heading.

It's like somebody jumped into your joke with a punch line  :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, silent thunder said:

That's so's they can both watch NASCAR

The voice of one who figured that out long ago?

Just adding to what Michael and 3Bob and others have said, on the heads/eyes facing each other — why this is always the case on the caduceus (but maybe not always shown as such in the yogic illustrations) is Hermes role is the reconciler and the mediator in wars, trade negotiations and relationships of various kinds.

He embodies the ’solution of antinomies’, especially between male and female (e.g. Two of Cups in Tarot), and the copulation of the snakes is the "secret intercourse”.

Here is Hermes talking to Asclepius (he of the one-snaked staff):

"And if you (Asclepius) wish to see the reality of this mystery, then you should see the wonderful representation of the intercourse that takes place between the male and the female. For when the semen reaches the climax, it leaps forth. In that moment, the female receives the strength of the male; the male, for his part, receives the strength of the female, while the semen does this.

Therefore, the mystery of intercourse is performed in secret, in order that the two sexes might not disgrace themselves in front of many who do not experience that reality. For each of them (the sexes) contributes its (own part in) begetting. For if it happens in the presence of those who do not understand the reality, (it is) laughable and unbelievable. And, moreover, they are holy mysteries, of both words and deeds, because not only are they not heard, but also they are not seen."

http://gnosis.org/naghamm/asclep.html

• Like 4

On 9/10/2021 at 9:10 AM, Cueball said:

He embodies the ’solution of antinomies’, especially between male and female (e.g. Two of Cups in Tarot), and the copulation of the snakes is the "secret intercourse”.

It seems like there are the two physical / psychic, the normal and the tantric.  He is no doubt talking about tantra here. 

But there is another type of intercourse between partners that happens after years together, if the fit is right, the two really do become as one.  When the usual old things no longer bother you, when there emerges a new and gentle kindness toward each other - there is not a day I can remember in particular when this joining started to occur.  But all I know is that one day I looked back and I could see how beautifully intertwined our souls were, and even though we were both getting old and wearing glasses and gimping around most of the time, sometimes I could just take one look at that face, and my heart would melt, even after 35 years.  The love; the true, all embracing, shining love was stronger at the end than at the beginning.  Probably because we went through many hells together.  But we stayed.

• Like 4

On 8/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, Apech said:

Why are the snakes looking at each other?  and what does that mean?

Suggestions please.

According to my extensive research . The snakes are Chi, mana, kundalini ect. But i think you know that. But i think its actually the path the chi takes the vagus nerve. How it loops and spirals is identical to the picture. I have lots of research on why the snakes are actually the vagus nerve but can't tell you off top of my head. Cultivation is all about manipulating you body and mastering it. So ofcourse the means mastering your nervous system. Alot of cultivation phenomena comes from this  like hearing a dragons roar ect cuz vagus connects to the ears. Isn't the nervous system how body sends messages in the form of electromagnetic energy(chi)? Sorry i'm not some top biologist i'm in the process of learning these things too. Hope this helps a little. Good luck and God bless!

On 9/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, ThreeLeaf said:

Alot of cultivation phenomena comes from this  like hearing a dragons roar ect cuz vagus connects to the ears. Isn't the nervous system how body sends messages in the form of electromagnetic energy(chi)? 

Dragons roaring.  That's incredible.  That's it exactly.

I became kundalini active, spontaneously, about 20 years ago.  It was nothing I was trying for.

But the K descended on me with a HUGE roar, it sounded like a train was running on a track one foot from my bedroom.  It was the loudest noise I think I've ever heard, and it was debilitating for a few moments.  I quickly looked outside and there was certainly no train or cyclone happening at the moment. 

Aaah.  But there was a big dragon!

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Apech said:

When snake eyes meet snake eyes then there is recognition ... mind rests in mind ... awareness in awareness ... 

Yes!  I missed this before, @Apech.  To gaze into someone's eyes is difficult if you are filled with secrets.   If you have guilts, if you are not honest. 

To decide to gaze into another eyes is to open yourself to the release of fears, I've found!  You can almost feel the layers of obstruction falling away.  Not a comfortable beginning - but as you say, when the separations are gone, mind rests in mind.

Recognition!  It recognizes Itself!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, manitou said:

Yes!  I missed this before, @Apech.  To gaze into someone's eyes is difficult if you are filled with secrets.   If you have guilts, if you are not honest. 

To decide to gaze into another eyes is to open yourself to the release of fears, I've found!  You can almost feel the layers of obstruction falling away.  Not a comfortable beginning - but as you say, when the separations are gone, mind rests in mind.

Recognition!  It recognizes Itself!

I saw a rad doco on psychopaths , it tracked  their development back to certain childhood traits . A precursor to many of them was the inability to meet eye to eye .  Kids with these traits developing where experimented on with a gentle and continual  insistence on eye contact . They didnt like it , avoided it , at first got angry , but then as they did more of it , you could see them 'melt' into it , start to show a different look in their eyes , softer and kinder , and then their indicative  traits started to go away and they started developing as normal kids .

[ Psychopathy is defined as a mental (antisocial) disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and antisocial behavior, shows a lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, expresses extreme egocentricity, and demonstrates a failure to learn from experience and other behaviors associated with the condition.]

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I saw a rad doco on psychopaths , it tracked  their development back to certain childhood traits . A precursor to many of them was the inability to meet eye to eye .  Kids with these traits developing where experimented on with a gentle and continual  insistence on eye contact . They didnt like it , avoided it , at first got angry , but then as they did more of it , you could see them 'melt' into it , start to show a different look in their eyes , softer and kinder , and then their indicative  traits started to go away and they started developing as normal kids .

[ Psychopathy is defined as a mental (antisocial) disorder in which an individual manifests amoral and antisocial behavior, shows a lack of ability to love or establish meaningful personal relationships, expresses extreme egocentricity, and demonstrates a failure to learn from experience and other behaviors associated with the condition.]

i_see_snake_eyes_by_klaymortia.jpg?token