Bhathen

Exercise related to....

Am not sure the kind of practice these exercises are based on? Does not seem to be like yoga.

Updating the details about the exercise:

From Plum village:

These mindful movements are not practiced in order to attain a goal like fitness or health, but to experience happiness, joy, and connectedness, right away, while performing them.

According to Thich Nhat Hanh, “The ancestral teacher who first taught these movements was a British educator, sociologist, and philosopher by the name of Herbert Spencer. He was quite an unusual philosopher, because he was not so much interested in speaking but in practicing what he spoke about.

“About 60 years ago, I learnt about the Ten Mindfulness Movements of Herbert Spencer. After that I embellished them in five ways:

➛ Making the movements more soft and flowing
➛ Adding mindful breathing 
➛ Making the movements follow successively, one upon the other
➛ Making them a practice of mindfulness. For Spencer, [they] were simply physical exercises to promote health
➛ Practising the mindfulness movements not [in order] to have health and happiness in the future, but to have happiness here and now, right while we are doing them.

Edited by Bhathen
Updating the details

33 minutes ago, manitou said:

Yes.  I do know what it is.  They are slow motion burpees.

Hearing of burpees for the first time.

"burpees are basically a combination of three individual strength moves: a plank, a push-up, and a squat."

" The burpee, a squat thrust with an additional stand between reps, is a full body exercise used in strength training. "

The above exercises don't seem to include planks, push-ups or squats though it is seems to be a full-body routine.

:lol:

I'm so sorry, Bhathen.  It was a joke, a very bad one apparently.  Burpees was something they used to make us do in gym class in school.  You're right, he's missing the squats....

(but they are doing slow motion jumping jacks)

Edited by manitou

20 hours ago, manitou said:

It was a joke, a very bad one apparently

@manitou, u just told it to the wrong person .... it usually takes me ages to understand some of them. :)

The above exercise has been practiced for about 30 years in Master Thich Naht Hanh's monastery. They have two more - Ba Dua Jin and staff work based on Qigong. Came across this light and relaxed routine ... just want to make sure it was not qigong or something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manitou said:

Why is it important that it is not qigong based, just out of curiosity?  Are you giving a class?

I had injured my knee muscle or nerve while doing the exercises advised by the physiotherapist. Over the last two months, there has been no improvement from therapy, resulting in a significant loss of energy. Tried acupuncture once and am now waiting for it to heal on its own. Joint-loosening type of exercises have been good for now but the above exercise feels better.

Qigong appears to be incompatible with my practice or it might be that one of them amplifies the other by a thousand times. Began practicing qigong for health reasons and experience taught me that it was a universe unto itself. It was the reason for me joining the wonderful TDB community and has led to a deeper understanding in many aspects.

Edited by Bhathen
Still need to learn to smoothen my wordings.
  • Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 5:11 PM, Bhathen said:

Am not sure the kind of practice these exercises are based on? Does not seem to be like yoga.

Looks like a form of qigong to me :)

• Thanks 1

The 'Ten Mindful Movements' are apparently derived from Yoga and Tai Chi:

https://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Movements-Ten-Exercises-Well-Being/dp/1888375795/

The video reminded me of the Eight-form Moving Meditation introduced by the late Chan Master Sheng Yen in Taiwan.

There seems to be a long tradition of Chan and Zen masters introducing exercises for the benefit of their students, who spend long periods sitting. These appear to be adapted from warmup exercises, calisthenics and qigong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bhathen said:

Still need to learn to smoothen my wordings.

That's pretty funny....

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

@Shevek  Thank you for sharing the video...looks like the simple routines taught to me by a yoga cum holistic teacher seems to be related to the video you shared as well as this one:

• Like 1