Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Any interesting Health Hacks to share?

Stuff I do..

Lately after eating, I'll continually rinse out my mouth, ie gargle w/ water, repeatedly (3 or 4 times) til no little bits of food come out.

I assume it's these little bits that turn acidic and hurt mouth health.  Perhaps long rinsing also knocks down some of the acidic nature in the mouth for a little bit.  Anyhow since I've been doing this I've gotten good dental reports.  

I use Sensodyne toothpaste.  Otherwise my teeth are sensitive to hot and cold.  This is controversial but at night after brushing I'll spit out the toothpaste and foam, but not rinse out, ie leave a thin coating on my teeth.  To my mind it strengthens them.

I'll often do Wim Hof breathing, an unique form of body stress that might turn on some good hormones.  Likewise take cold showers  In winter they'll get real.  Why?  Again, a unique form of stress that 'exercising' circulation and releasing some good hormones.  

Tracking my sleep w/ Oura Ring.  It records sleep time and depth.  Heart rate, temperature, movement.. using the data to plot to show how well you sleep.  A nice tool for an insomniac like me.  Best motivator to change something is to keep records of it.

Any unusual health things you do??

Lately I've been playing around with Chinese mugwort as its growing quite profusely in my garden. Seems to be working quite nicely. Not sure if I'm saying this right, but I've managed to hack around a feeling of lethargy after each meal. And I'm a very light eater, like 3 spoons of rice (as a base) for dinner sort of light. So I realised maybe my digestive system is on the wane and some perking up was in order. Apparently the whole plant is edible, and its claimed to have a number of health benefits. The roots are meant to be great as an energy booster as it inhibits the build-up of lactic acid and also the ridding of it. Its also a potent inclusion in most moxibustion treatment. 

Artemisia absinthium, or wormwood, a close relative of mugwort, is used in the production of absinthe. Good stuff when taken in moderation.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this