zerostao

The Dangers of "Othering"

Recommended Posts

Well, those finer distinctions are not in my field of specialty, tbh, I don’t have a particular field of specialty. None the less, including all is the idea. 
Some most likely will fall through the gaps, unfortunately. despite best intentioned efforts,
taking upmost care to avoid that from happening is key,

because, at least for some, it will make the difference between living worlds together or living worlds apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An insidious form of othering occurs (is occurring,  continues) when a group thinks they know what's best for others. This goes against our "one another" ideal.

The group that has convinced itself it knows better, uses this as a pretext to exercise/rationalize power over another group. This rapidly crosses over into hellish outcomes. Examples of these can be found throughout history and continues on through contemporary times. 

Think twice before you open the box. 

Spoiler

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zerostao said:

The group that has convinced itself it knows better, uses this as a pretext to exercise/rationalize power over another group.

 

Hi zerostao,

 

In the Tao there is no absolute power

 

Nor is power permanent

2e2bc12b01dd7375b60d441ec29e77de.gif

Believing that something is absolute/permanent is just a pretext

th?id=OIP.lyev8lkNtwvlNbHhh_89qgHaEj&pid=Api&P=0&w=278&h=172

 

 

- Anand

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Limahong said:

 

Hi zerostao,

 

In the Tao there is no absolute power

 

Nor is power permanent

2e2bc12b01dd7375b60d441ec29e77de.gif

Believing that something is absolute/permanent is just a pretext

th?id=OIP.lyev8lkNtwvlNbHhh_89qgHaEj&pid=Api&P=0&w=278&h=172

 

 

- Anand

 

 

Right, I get it. I post it. 

power has different connotations among differently different folks. Not other, just different.

The power I posted about in the post you just quoted, isn't power at all. Don't fall for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zerostao said:

The power I posted about in the post you just quoted, isn't power at all. Don't fall for it.

 

Good morning zerostao,

 

You have indicated ~ "Think twice before you open the box.

 

I did not fall for anything as I have made it a point not to...

 

Reveal hidden contents

 

Why? No transparency

 

Please enlighten

 

- Anand

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 9/30/2021 at 5:39 PM, Limahong said:

 

Good morning zerostao,

 

You have indicated ~ "Think twice before you open the box.

 

I did not fall for anything as I have made it a point not to...

 

Reveal hidden contents

 

Why? No transparency

 

Please enlighten

 

- Anand

 

Inside the box is a dire prediction concerning the future made seventy one years ago by a fellow that many think was spot on with his prediction. Although, it was written as a parody. This particular parody has lost any comic effect it may have once had.

However, it also mentions the solution to avoid such a bleak horrific outcome.

 

In times like these, the times we are living now, requires vigilance by us all to keep would be tyrants from gaining any foothold.

Further "powers" should not be bestowed  to any seeking "power". PERIOD.

 

again, I have used the word power in a particular connotation and not in its correct usage. 

because when a power grabber seeks to add powers, perhaps, that is when, they, should become "other"

 

 

Edited by zerostao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, zerostao said:

I have used the word power in a particular connotation and not in its correct usage. 

because when a power grabber seeks to add powers, perhaps, that is when, they, should become "other".

 

WOW!

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zerostao said:

because when a power grabber seeks to add powers, perhaps, that is when, they, should become "other"

 

 

 

Recently thinking it might be my greatest challenge to not think even this. After all, I think that in some way we are memes, and the power grabbers were just dealt the other-y hand, seen, of course, from my point of view.

 

I think of Hanna Arendt, who said of Nazi butcher Adolf Eichmann: "Don’t think monster, think functionary; don’t think mass murderer, think organization man."

 

But which would we chose, an organized machine or a warm blooded murderer?

 

If the Nazis, in a Sauronesque way, were evil, they were so openly and honestly. Today demons act through lies and narcosis, ironically at very fast, modern pace.  Their machine is faceless and precisely because of this it cannot be hated, and hate must be turned somewhere, just as otherness, and so we turn it at each other. It is brilliant scheme.

 

If I other anyone, it is those that I perceive, in flaring moments, to be ones "who are told things". I suppose because I believe no one is ever told anything, but simply tells himself.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Filosofy said:

If I other anyone, it is those that I perceive, in flaring moments, to be ones "who are told things". I suppose because I believe no one is ever told anything, but simply tells himself.

 

Hi Filosofy,

 

Thank you

 

Interesting to note that 'other' has been used as a verb ~ philosophically

 

I suppose because I believe no one is ever told anything, but simply tells himself

 

th?id=OIP.Z3VL568OtEtDp0Y0Ed2UugHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=272&h=154

 

He is telling ~ but what are the others listening to?

 

- Anand

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2021 at 8:23 PM, zerostao said:

The group that has convinced itself it knows better, uses this as a pretext to exercise/rationalize power over another group.

 

Hi zerostao,

 

Real power that can (re)solve a problem  is not a pretext.

 

Yes/no?

 

- Anand

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Limahong said:

 

Hi zerostao,

 

Real power that can (re)solve a problem  is not a pretext.

 

Yes/no?

 

- Anand

 

 

it is not.

sometimes, real power is subtle, finer, hardly recognized.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, zerostao said:

sometimes, real power is subtle, finer, hardly recognized

 

 

th?id=OIP.4YZnx5uCppsL4fphiJrS2QHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

real power is subtle, finer, hardly recognized

 

 

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I think we are talking about two different things.

“Power” that is used to threaten or extort or intimidate, is not actually power at all.

Te is power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Limahong said:

real power is subtle, finer, hardly recognized

 

 

Here my inclination is towards energy and its transformation

 

Energy is multi-faceted ~ with many edges

 

- Anand

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Limahong said:

Energy is multi-faceted ~ with many edges

 

Positive energy is power imbued in ~

Kindness... Knowledge... Trust... Friendship... Greetings

(Happy New Year, I Love You,  G'day Mate...)?

 

Positive energy flows freely from one to the other?

 

th?id=OIP.kQDL5tbU_oY7EL6DV77eAQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=156&h=155

 

519fcd42ce395f804c000000.gif

 

- Anand

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites