steve

Current Events Discussion

hey

climate change!

earth the new venus

we're all going die

I’m a pretty open hearted individual, plus I’ve been Astro gliding and eating terrapins in the Astro realm, if possible would you guys see fit to hear my 2 cents from time to time ?

• Like 2

A curious barrier.  

I am just wondering why the default mode is "blocked" rather than simply "read only"?

Personally Im highly doubtful I would wish to reply to anything, but I am curious as to why such basic curiosity is also unwelcome?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Invisible Acropolis said:

I am just wondering why the default mode is "blocked" rather than simply "read only"?

Politics, "Current Events", provides a huge whole additional topic area to get into intense conflict about.  (Sometimes it's smooth sailing, other times not.)  Staff decided to make the whole area invisible to members by default, so members can focus on what this site is about: internal arts cultivation.  If it were "read only" then all the political posts would still show up in everyone's "unread content" list.  This way is much cleaner.  :)

• Like 3

It would be hard to overstate the poisonous charms of the current event section; my own experience is something of a cautionary tale.  -_-

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Invisible Acropolis said:

So fragile!   

As they say, "Truth withstands debate."

Truth withstands everything always!

On 12/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, Trunk said:
On 12/14/2022 at 8:04 AM, Invisible Acropolis said:

Politics, "Current Events", provides a huge whole additional topic area to get into intense conflict about.  (Sometimes it's smooth sailing, other times not.)  Staff decided to make the whole area invisible to members by default, so members can focus on what this site is about: internal arts cultivation.  If it were "read only" then all the political posts would still show up in everyone's "unread content" list.  This way is much cleaner.  :)

Actually it was specifically my idea and was hidden for this reason:

On 10/10/2017 at 12:29 PM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

Off Grid developed from threads that appeared in Off Topic and General Discussion, and was an attempt to provide both a place where these could be explored by members who wished to do so, and to prevent any of these explorations from becoming a public soap box which could attract people to the Dao Bums for political and not spiritual reasons, which was beginning to happen.

I even came up with the name Off Grid to emphasis that it was off the internet Grid.  It was created because the 2016 Presidential election was living nightmare for us on Staff, and we collectively hoped that things would cool down after the election and that mere two months suspentions for one of the worst offenders would help, frankly I had pushed for a permanent ban, but was outvoted.  When he returned early in January 2017 he came back with Pizza Gate, which resulted in his being suspended for sixth months, I still couldn't get him banned, and those people with long enough memories may remember how roundly criticized we were for the six months that he got.

Off Grid was my idea for at least keeping such junk as Pizza Gate from attracting trolls to Dao Bums with the idea of using it to promote such nonsense in spiritual circles using Dao Buns as a platform.  When he returned from his ban he started in again with posts that I now recognize as proto Qanon, posts of a type which began with Pizza Gate.  Except for one post on the astrology of an Eclipse cycle, the only reason I read, or posted anything in Off Grid were when my moderator duties required it.  I was particularly disappointed with the direction Off Grid took, and none of us on staff were at all happy with it, But Dawei and I were particularly concerned since its toxicity was spreading out into Dao Bums and continuously talked about what we could do, but felt hamstrung by Sean's stated policies, something which Sean even mentions in his first return post.   Dawei pleaded with Sean for two years to come and take a look at what was happening, when he finally did his response, while extreme, was merited by the circumstances, much like the emergency amputation of a gangrenous limb which endangers the whole body.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

ZYD

• Like 2

On 15/12/2022 at 10:08 AM, Kojiro said:

Truth withstands everything always!

In my experience, this is not true; on the contrary,  truth is fragile and needs to be protected. To thrive, every system needs to set boundaries. E.g. see the demise of the Dao Bums’ spin-off site OD, it failed miserably (as did, as far as I know, the OD spin-offs by starjumper and pegasus).

Edited by Cobie

May i have Access too?... Just want some News and thoughts that are less biased... I hope

Edited by Phantalor
  • Like 1

If, in a weak moment, I ask for access do not grant it. 

The world is too much with me and political opinions are like appendixes**; I have one, it doesn't do me much good and I don't care to look at yours.  

** are also  narrow, finger-shaped pouch that projects out from the colon, that only are only noticed when they get inflamed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3