Okay,

I need some input. I have no access to a teacher (I might get to go to the Wudang seminar in Atlanta this summer,) but right now I'm on my own. I've been trying to learn inner alchemy, and I've been reading books for a year and several months. I haven't started anything yet because I wanted to really know what I was getting into before starting. But I think I've figured out a whole system.

Tell me what you think (tell me any flaws you see because that's why I'm putting this on here!)

I'm working on the foundation right now by reading and rereading the Tao Te Ching and the Tao Hsuen Pien.

Then I'm going in the direction of the Northern School of Quanzhen, and cultivate my mind first using the Secret of the Golden Flower (Cleary's version)

Then I'm going to cultivate the body with Taijiquan and a type of Qigong.

Does this sound like a total system? I would appreciate info especially from those of you who are initiates in any system (but particularly Quanzhen.) If I could become an initiate I would, but this is going to have to do for now :) Thanks for your help.

Okay,

I need some input. I have no access to a teacher (I might get to go to the Wudang seminar in Atlanta this summer,) but right now I'm on my own. I've been trying to learn inner alchemy, and I've been reading books for a year and several months. I haven't started anything yet because I wanted to really know what I was getting into before starting. But I think I've figured out a whole system.

Tell me what you think (tell me any flaws you see because that's why I'm putting this on here!)

I'm working on the foundation right now by reading and rereading the Tao Te Ching and the Tao Hsuen Pien.

Then I'm going in the direction of the Northern School of Quanzhen, and cultivate my mind first using the Secret of the Golden Flower (Cleary's version)

Does this sound like a total system? I would appreciate info especially from those of you who are initiates in any system (but particularly Quanzhen.) If I could become an initiate I would, but this is going to have to do for now :) Thanks for your help.

Greetings Wu Liu,

Since the outlet of translated Daoists texts is limited in English, begin with meditation, for all things come from that. Also know that Quan Zhen Dao is a culmination of three cultivation schools and takes into consideration the spiritual, philosophical and religious aspects of them as one whol system, not separate pieces. QUan Zhen Dao is made of Daoist cultivation, Confucian cultivation and Buddhist cultivation. All three schools of education are considered to be essential methods with the function of leading on to live harmoniously on the cycle of birth and death, transcending the mundane human experience by being reborn in the heavens, and or leaving the cycle of birth and death altogether. Which one is the Daoist, Confucian and Buddhist teachings in that sentence...can you guess? lol

It would be good to understand the foundation of each school of education and then integrate their teachings in your own life. This is cultivation of Quan Zhen Dao. Then you have meditation and Qi Gong, and from there various other methods which change the mind and body, help in realizing true wisdom, ending the afflictions.

There is a lot in Quan Zhen Dao one will not get unless they are with a teacher, yet you can do just as fine with simply meditating daily. Cultivating patience, compassion and wisdom, stilling the mind through the detaching of desires and thoughts as well as personal views. If you are able to get Daoist, Buddhist and COnfucian texts on virtue and moral, and cultivation of mind and energy, that is good. Other than that, if you can't, getting someone who is familiar with Quan Zhen Dao teachings, and the three pillars of its foundation would be the best way to go.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Greetings Wu Liu,

Since the outlet of translated Daoists texts is limited in English, begin with meditation, for all things come from that. Also know that Quan Zhen Dao is a culmination of three cultivation schools and takes into consideration the spiritual, philosophical and religious aspects of them as one whol system, not separate pieces. QUan Zhen Dao is made of Daoist cultivation, Confucian cultivation and Buddhist cultivation. All three schools of education are considered to be essential methods with the function of leading on to live harmoniously on the cycle of birth and death, transcending the mundane human experience by being reborn in the heavens, and or leaving the cycle of birth and death altogether. Which one is the Daoist, Confucian and Buddhist teachings in that sentence...can you guess? lol

It would be good to understand the foundation of each school of education and then integrate their teachings in your own life. This is cultivation of Quan Zhen Dao. Then you have meditation and Qi Gong, and from there various other methods which change the mind and body, help in realizing true wisdom, ending the afflictions.

There is a lot in Quan Zhen Dao one will not get unless they are with a teacher, yet you can do just as fine with simply meditating daily. Cultivating patience, compassion and wisdom, stilling the mind through the detaching of desires and thoughts as well as personal views. If you are able to get Daoist, Buddhist and COnfucian texts on virtue and moral, and cultivation of mind and energy, that is good. Other than that, if you can't, getting someone who is familiar with Quan Zhen Dao teachings, and the three pillars of its foundation would be the best way to go.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

My plan is to read and understand classics on virtue. And once I understand them, I can incorporate their teachings into my everyday life. That's the foundation. I know that I have a long way to go even with this stage. Lets just say I'm not the greatest model of Buddhist detachment... But I hope that practices like the Golden Flower method will help me empty my mind and remove such desires and attachments, which is why I chose it for the next stage. I've read it multiple times but I'm waiting for that strong foundation before I begin to practice it. If I do it correctly, I should have a totally fresh outlook and state of mind. Then my aim is to cultivate my body. I hope to use Qigong from the White Could Monastery to heal and strengthen my body. The only reason I'm sticking to the Quanzhen system is because I don't want to mix practices from different systems for fear of conflicting teachings/practices. It's not that I'm affiliating myself to this system.

But my question is, do you think (not just Lin, but anybody) that this would comprise a full system? That is:

-Moral and philosophical foundation implemented into everyday life (Daoist, Buddhist, Confucian)

-Right meditation to still the mind (Golden Flower; end desire and random thoughts)

-Exercises to keep the body healthy (develop Qi and Jing)

I just don't want to start a practice and miss something important. I'm afraid I'll even come out worse in the end. Thanks for your input, Lin. I'll take it to heart.

Peace.

Thanks Lin,

My plan is to read and understand classics on virtue. And once I understand them, I can incorporate their teachings into my everyday life. That's the foundation. I know that I have a long way to go even with this stage. Lets just say I'm not the greatest model of Buddhist detachment... But I hope that practices like the Golden Flower method will help me empty my mind and remove such desires and attachments, which is why I chose it for the next stage. I've read it multiple times but I'm waiting for that strong foundation before I begin to practice it. If I do it correctly, I should have a totally fresh outlook and state of mind. Then my aim is to cultivate my body. I hope to use Qigong from the White Could Monastery to heal and strengthen my body. The only reason I'm sticking to the Quanzhen system is because I don't want to mix practices from different systems for fear of conflicting teachings/practices. It's not that I'm affiliating myself to this system.

But my question is, do you think (not just Lin, but anybody) that this would comprise a full system? That is:

-Moral and philosophical foundation implemented into everyday life (Daoist, Buddhist, Confucian)

-Right meditation to still the mind (Golden Flower; end desire and random thoughts)

I just don't want to start a practice and miss something important. I'm afraid I'll even come out worse in the end. Thanks for your input, Lin. I'll take it to heart.

Peace.

Your idea of a complete system of cultivation doesn't sound bad. Of course there is more

within the workings of it.

What makes a practice complete, is that it will never come to its end. Meaning, you will always evolve in the method, not get stuck.

Virtue and moral for the mind and relating with those in the world, as well as to create good outcomes which assist you in your cultivation; making it easier for you to cultivate.

Practices which emphasize healthy living, limber and firm body, light and clean body will lead to heightening your sensitivity to things as well as clear the path for good wisdom. Methods like Nei Gong / Qi Gong, Yoga (but not the commercially fashioned practices), Taiji Quan, Meditation, Buddha Name recitation, Sutra studies, etc...

Study the classics to realize the already paved out path in the road, yet walk that path by integrating the teachings into your own life as to make that road lined with green trees, wonderful air, beautiful flowers and a great atmosphere others want to be around.

Cultivation is fo r you only, but the merits and virtue gained from you efforts are for every one else. That means only you can cultivate, but it is only when in the presence of others you realize the strengths you hold, and therefore use them to help others live a wholesome life.

When around others, they are your teachers, and when they are around you, you are theirs. It is such that any situation we encounter is simply that of our own making, and our experience of it is based on the views we hold of them.

This is why meditation is first and foremost. It is to develop concentration, "enter stillness", see the original mind and end all discriminating thoughts. The out come is inevitable, its the effort that you put into it which develops your strengths. Abilities aren't the sign of the end, they are only a sign of progress which points in the direction of more effort needed to be utilized.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Your idea of a complete system of cultivation doesn't sound bad. Of course there is more

within the workings of it.

What makes a practice complete, is that it will never come to its end. Meaning, you will always evolve in the method, not get stuck.

Virtue and moral for the mind and relating with those in the world, as well as to create good outcomes which assist you in your cultivation; making it easier for you to cultivate.

Practices which emphasize healthy living, limber and firm body, light and clean body will lead to heightening your sensitivity to things as well as clear the path for good wisdom. Methods like Nei Gong / Qi Gong, Yoga (but not the commercially fashioned practices), Taiji Quan, Meditation, Buddha Name recitation, Sutra studies, etc...

Study the classics to realize the already paved out path in the road, yet walk that path by integrating the teachings into your own life as to make that road lined with green trees, wonderful air, beautiful flowers and a great atmosphere others want to be around.

Cultivation is fo r you only, but the merits and virtue gained from you efforts are for every one else. That means only you can cultivate, but it is only when in the presence of others you realize the strengths you hold, and therefore use them to help others live a wholesome life.

When around others, they are your teachers, and when they are around you, you are theirs. It is such that any situation we encounter is simply that of our own making, and our experience of it is based on the views we hold of them.

This is why meditation is first and foremost. It is to develop concentration, "enter stillness", see the original mind and end all discriminating thoughts. The out come is inevitable, its the effort that you put into it which develops your strengths. Abilities aren't the sign of the end, they are only a sign of progress which points in the direction of more effort needed to be utilized.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Lin,

You're a very helpful man. I appreciate your words, and later if I run into trouble or have questions, I hope you don't mind if I turn to you for advice. Thanks again for your help. Peace.

if you understand some of it - it would.

if you dont understand any of it - it would not.

most people dont.

Lin,

You're a very helpful man. I appreciate your words, and later if I run into trouble or have questions, I hope you don't mind if I turn to you for advice. Thanks again for your help. Peace.

I appreciate your trust and acknowledge your sincerity. There are many great beings on this

forum with much insight into many things. It wouldn't hurt to ask a few questions generally to the forum members :)

You are are more than welcome to ask all that you wish to me in email as and when you see fit.

[email protected]

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

In reference to dual cultivation in the Daoist school, its not 100% necessary to do. You can if you have the opportunity and feel to use that method, but over all, its not really necessary to move forward in one's cultivation.

Masturbation shouldn't even be sought as a method to gather energy at the lower areas in order to raise up to the crown. This would bring the mind to the mundane, and cause turbid energy to manifest, thus planting in the mind thoughts of lust and desire. This would be counter productive int he long run.

Breathing down to the Dan Tian is what one wants in order to heat up the lower areas, yet being able to breath to the kidneys, and expand the whole abdomen, front back, and sideways is very very important for clearing the dampness around the organs, and freeing up the path for clear Qi to Ascend, and turbid Qi to descend.

Turning the light inwards to see the original mind is very important regardless of the methods one practices. It is neither inferior, or superior. It simply is inevitable if one is going to go forward properly.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Wu Liu,

My suggestion is to start with meditation and then go to the seminar in atlanta. That is with my Master. I was initiated into the Wudang Longmen Nei Dan Pai (Inner Elixir Schoo) several year ago under Master Chen. Whatever you decide however, you should follow the guidance of a teacher. I only mention my Master because you brought that up.

Also you need to know that Taoism is about following your "tao"or way. So after you get a foundation from a teacher you still need to listen to your inner self and nature for guidance.

Tao Bless,

Wudangspirit

Okay,

Wu Liu,

My suggestion is to start with meditation and then go to the seminar in atlanta. That is with my Master. I was initiated into the Wudang Longmen Nei Dan Pai (Inner Elixir Schoo) several year ago under Master Chen. Whatever you decide however, you should follow the guidance of a teacher. I only mention my Master because you brought that up.

Also you need to know that Taoism is about following your "tao"or way. So after you get a foundation from a teacher you still need to listen to your inner self and nature for guidance.

Tao Bless,

Wudangspirit

If I am able to go to Atlanta this summer, that will be great. There are several courses being offered on different days:

- Friday evening, June 13 - Taoist Philosophy & Wudang Meditation

- Saturday, June 14 - Wudang QiGong

- Sunday, June 15 - Wudang Tai Chi 52 Movements

- Monday, June 16 - Tai Chi Intensive (10 hours)

- Tuesday, June 17 - Teacher & Certification Training (10 hrs)

- Wednesday, June 18 - Friday, June 20 - The Master Within Intensive

Which do you recommend? I am interested in San Feng Taijiquan, so perhaps that one. I would do the Master Within because I've heard it's really good, but I don't have $800 right now. :(

I would recommend going the the Master Within Intensive. This will give you your foundation. The others are great however if you could only pick one I'd do the intensive this will encompass a lot of things you are talking about.

Wudangspiirt

If I am able to go to Atlanta this summer, that will be great. There are several courses being offered on different days:

- Friday evening, June 13 - Taoist Philosophy & Wudang Meditation

- Saturday, June 14 - Wudang QiGong

- Sunday, June 15 - Wudang Tai Chi 52 Movements

- Monday, June 16 - Tai Chi Intensive (10 hours)

- Tuesday, June 17 - Teacher & Certification Training (10 hrs)

- Wednesday, June 18 - Friday, June 20 - The Master Within Intensive

Which do you recommend? I am interested in San Feng Taijiquan, so perhaps that one. I would do the Master Within because I've heard it's really good, but I don't have $800 right now. :(

I will most likely be at a couple of Atlanta workshops as I am just down the street from them and was interested in seeing Master Chen. Actually, was going to see about dropping in on Master Chen's student's class this week if possible.

The Master Within workshop sounds interesting but $800 for 3 days is a little steep for me right now, plus I am already practicing another system(Kunlun).

Cam

I will most likely be at a couple of Atlanta workshops as I am just down the street from them and was interested in seeing Master Chen. Actually, was going to see about dropping in on Master Chen's student's class this week if possible.

The Master Within workshop sounds interesting but $800 for 3 days is a little steep for me right now, plus I am already practicing another system(Kunlun).

Cam

Hi! It's great to know that I'm not the only person in Georgia who's practicing Taoism. Do you know of anyone else down here?