zerostao

Cultivating a State of Kindness

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

Observing children, one could think that kindness is inherent in humans. One should think kindness is inherent in humans. This concept was held to be true during the Renaissance, even after all that humanity had endured to reach that apex of human achievement: The Renaissance knew that humans were inherently good and kind.

This is a key difference between the Renaissance Humanists and 20th century Existentialists.

Plato knew it. Plato’s theory of forms or doctrine of ideas: common ideals are Truth, Kindness, Beauty.

Nietzsche knew it. The most curative herbs and agents in human intercourse are Kindness and Love.

To be Bona Fide; bona fides, all parties act in good faith, honor system, and with kindness. To make one’s bones, for equality, honor system, good faith, kindness.

At King Arthur’s Round Table, one of the Knightly Virtues is Kindness.

Mark Twain thought of kindness as a language the deaf could hear and the blind could see.

Paul of Tarsus lists kindness as one of the nine traits of Spiritual Fruits. One of the most riveting moments I experienced on this forum was when I was reading a thread about seeking powers or siddhis, and @ShaktiMama posted paraphrasing Corinthians 13. I ain’t no bible thumper and she wasn’t either, but ShaktiMama gave those power seekers a glimpse of what True Power was that day.

What are you growing in your garden? What seeds do you sow?

During our troubled challenging times, there are those among us, living breathing humans, some famous, some unknown that do the good work, spreading kindness.

This thread’s ideal is to shine light on the ideal of kindness. We can name the famous and we can let the anonymous remain so.

Feel free to post, share, question, answer, anything related to kindness---with one exception---

Do not post music videos. You are free to request a relevant music video and the spinner may oblige, may not. There is a method to my madness. I have a specific direction in mind, I realize TDB has a collective mind of its own that I very much appreciate and respect that. Still, I kindly ask posters to adhere. And if you ignore this request, realize, I can hide posts at will. heheh

Most welcome are references to non western mention of kindness in philosophical or spiritual context.

A few members that are free to choose to ignore my restriction request are:

@ilumairen, because once at my request she kindly posted a music video on my behalf when I was technically hobbled. Incidentally, that video posted was Try a Little Kindness. How cool is that?

@thelerner, because I have seen him pay it forward on several occasions.

@Limahong, just because. although I reserve the right to change my mind.

@sean. Because, I mean, you know,,

Spoiler

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Kindness is a gentle morning rain.

Kindness is a light touch

that makes the Other feel better,

and reminds you

the Other isn't much different than yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, thelerner said:

that makes the Other feel better,

this words reminded me of an experience. Last night I felt very happy and giving - kindness! I think.... my body felt light. Especially chest. Excitement normally feels like expansion in chest, like its hard to contain in chest. 

Does being tired and or feeling body as heavy make it harder to be kind?

Is kindness an (physiological/energetic) emotion?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jaba said:

this words reminded me of an experience. Last night I felt very happy and giving - kindness! I think.... my body felt light. Especially chest. Excitement normally feels like expansion in chest, like its hard to contain in chest. 

Does being tired and or feeling body as heavy make it harder to be kind?

Jaba, thank you for sharing your lightness experience from last night and for the excellent questions.

Interesting that thelerner refers to kindness as a light touch.

I think, ( i am no expert, and  i start threads on topics, so i may learn more about it) i think most accept kindness as an emotion.

words describing the emotions of happy and joy and often mentioned with happiness.

I like how you bring energetics into the discussion early on. This is something I'm intrigued about and hoping to explore in more detail/

I do want to share a couple of quick links that may help us going forward or may provide a light touch to the thread, starting off.

https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/kindness-quotes

a thought just popped into my mind on how kind and kin; maybe kindness and kinship ?? just a poke in the dark, really. but i will look into origins of the words.

Oxford Dictionary says that kindness is a noun.

One thing I want to share and had on my mind when thinking of starting this thread: this notion of taking my kindness for weakness.

that strikes me as utterly absurd. How could kindness come from weakness? No way that it could.

I suppose that the more acts of kindness one achieves the stronger they become.

I said two links..so, not a link but if one has a way to access this short article,,,

Ginsberg, D. (2018). Secret Agents of Kindness. Education Digest, 83(6), 48–51.

ah ok, the link

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2021 at 3:31 AM, zerostao said:

Try a Little Kindness. How cool is that? (I)

th?id=OIP.naNh3Z3L1-tMl3OgKa5dUgHaKd&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

"Then How?"

Kindness in the New Normal

"This crisis has been tough, but it has also brought out the best in us. We’ve witnessed many acts of kindness and generosity from individuals and ground-up movements alike in the past months. We’ve also seen many do their part, from essential workers keeping us going to ordinary citizens respecting the measures to keep everyone safe. Let’s continue to acknowledge and appreciate all these efforts!

The way we live, work and play are different now. But in the new normal, kindness can still prevail with just a few simple adjustments to our lifestyle. Let this fun poster series show you how – save them, print them, and most of all, follow them! With more graciousness, consideration and empathy on top of our continued social responsibility, we can emerge stronger and more united than ever."

BLESSINGS TO ALL...

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for your prompt response Limahong. 

and you as well thelerner.

was gonna edit, will save for a future post, instead.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaba said:

This reminds me.  In meditation as watching thoughts (& not get carried away w/ them) gets easier, that it's harder to track emotions.  Like thoughts are the icy rock of a comet and thoughts are the much larger, ephemeral tail.  Subtle but huge, because they do affect our physiology, our mood points our thoughts and focus in certain directions.  

• Thanks 1

I would agree that kindness is a fundamental quality of human nature.

Unfortunately, my observation is that it is actively and efficiently conditioned out of us from the earliest times, replaced with uncertainty and an addiction to the approval of others.

I studied with a Daoist master for about 12 years. While I made some very profound discoveries and observed powerful changes in myself, I could not find the context to foster these changes. It felt like something important was lacking.

I eventually connected with my current teacher and in our first private meeting received a non-verbal transmission of kindness and compassion from him that opened my heart. In an instant I understood the context and meaning of everything I'd previously experienced and had a direction to go in that has served me ever since. It revolutionized my relationship with my work and help dramatically in my family relationships.

I believe kindness is a fairly accurate way to assess spiritual growth. 

It is an expression of empathy

In the early stages of the spiritual path, it needs to be practiced and nurtured, even when it is awkward and unnatural.

In mature stages, it becomes effortless and unconditional.

For me there is little in life that is more valuable and beautiful than simple kindness - to other people, to all sentient creatures, to our Mother Earth, and to ourselves.

I was very tempted to post a music video just because I was asked not to...

I am sometimes like that.

Instead, I decided to be kind.

:D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Try a Little Kindness. How cool is that? (II)

• Thanks 1

Goodness is born naturally when purity of the heart (Boddhi) has been cultivated Without humility there is not even a small trace of goodness.

• Thanks 1

" I realize TDB has a collective mind of its own that I very much appreciate and respect that. Still, I kindly ask posters to adhere. And if you ignore this request, realize, I can hide posts at will. heheh "

In a thread started by you about 'kindness'  ... NOT in you pp , you will delete  'at will '  ? ? ?  Oh, thats right, you are a moderator .

:) 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Limahong said:

I certainly saw this one coming !

Out of 'selective kindness' Limi , you shall not be censored .

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Nungali said:

" I realize TDB has a collective mind of its own that I very much appreciate and respect that. Still, I kindly ask posters to adhere. And if you ignore this request, realize, I can hide posts at will. heheh "

In a thread started by you about 'kindness'  ... NOT in you pp , you will delete  'at will '  ? ? ?  Oh, thats right, you are a moderator .

:) 

:lol:

I didn’t say delete, I said hide. I do have mod powers and could move the thread to my ppf

watch how I do it, check back in Five minutes

Edited by zerostao

9 hours ago, steve said:

Unfortunately, my observation is that it is actively and efficiently conditioned out of us from the earliest times, replaced with uncertainty and an addiction to the approval of others.

I studied with a Daoist master for about 12 years. While I made some very profound discoveries and observed powerful changes in myself, I could not find the context to foster these changes. It felt like something important was lacking.

I eventually connected with my current teacher and in our first private meeting received a non-verbal transmission of kindness and compassion from him that opened my heart. In an instant I understood the context and meaning of everything I'd previously experienced and had a direction to go in that has served me ever since. It revolutionized my relationship with my work and help dramatically in my family relationships.

I believe kindness is a fairly accurate way to assess spiritual growth. 

It is an expression of empathy

In the early stages of the spiritual path, it needs to be practiced and nurtured, even when it is awkward and unnatural.

In mature stages, it becomes effortless and unconditional.

For me there is little in life that is more valuable and beautiful than simple kindness - to other people, to all sentient creatures, to our Mother Earth, and to ourselves.

I was very tempted to post a music video just because I was asked not to...

I am sometimes like that.

Instead, I decided to be kind.

Kindness is fundamental? Put people in certain kinds of stress and that goes out the window. History is replete with human horror. 

19 minutes ago, ralis said:

Kindness is fundamental? Put people in certain kinds of stress and that goes out the window. History is replete with human horror. 

And this thread explores if cultivating kindness is a remedy to the horrors. Well, that’s but one aspect of it.

The energetics is another aspect.

btw it’s a good night for moon qigong here.

I shall return

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zerostao said:

:lol:

I didn’t say delete, I said hide. I do have mod powers and could move the thread to my ppf

watch how I do it, check back in Five minutes

and from our non moderator perspective , same thing   = 'cannot be read'

Did your 'mod powers' * move your mucic thread to PP  too?    (and thank goodness  someone did ! ) 

*  In that your Mod powers seemed to consist of locking it , unlocking it and posting in it , then locking it again .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

Out of 'selective kindness'...

Hi Nun,

Kindness is borderless.

It embraces you, me and all.

Keep safe and well.

- Anand

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ralis said:

“Ethics and morals are not priorities before food and shelter for the hungry and the homeless.” - Mao “I killed people en masse in the Great Leap Forward and then killed my culture in the Cultural Revolution” Zedong

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

to understand without a doubt that you are seen and understood deep down by another's non-judgmental understanding fosters a great communication and knowing that includes kindness and more... 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ralis said:

20 hours ago, steve said:

Unfortunately, my observation is that it is actively and efficiently conditioned out of us from the earliest times

Selective quotations often distort the intended meaning...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nungali said:

and from our non moderator perspective , same thing   = 'cannot be read'

Did your 'mod powers' * move your mucic thread to PP  too?    (and thank goodness  someone did ! ) 

*  In that your Mod powers seemed to consist of locking it , unlocking it and posting in it , then locking it again .

It is kind of you to notice nungali/

sending warm vibes of kindness your way.

enjoy!

• Like 1

Try a Little Kindness. How cool is that? (III)

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I hope this thread stays in the General Discussion or the Rabbit Hole.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

According to Chinese medicine, the element of Metal is associated with the lungs, the large intestine,  and the skin.  Metal is a badass no-nonsense element that knows quality, values refinement, embraces elegance, an element that will shit out bogus imitations with the easy assurance of a Sotherby´s assessor rejecting a fake Ming Dynasty vase.  (Auction this?  Oh please, honey...)  Like a sword, metal cuts.  (The lungs saying yes to oxygen and no to carbon dioxide.)  Metal establishes an exquisitely flexible border between what´s me and what isn´t me.  (Skin.)  Metal lets go of what´s not needed.  (Large intestines.)

Metal is a polished mirror, unerringly reflecting what´s put in front of it.  Metal is a pristine mountain lake with water so clear you can see way, way down, all the way to the bottom.  Metal is the physical embodiment of perfect knowing.  And, according to my Taoist teachers, Metal is kind.

It might seem odd that an element connected with swords and cutting would also be associated with kindness, an emotional upwelling that leads to actions commonly thought of as soft and gentle.  Perhaps we misunderstand kindness.  What if kindness was hard like a diamond and sharp like a knife?  What if kindness had nothing whatsoever to do with bleeding hearts?  What if kindness was proud, unapologetic, self-assured?  I think kindness sees the other exactly as she is.  There can be something tough and unmerciful about that kind of accurate perception and yet, so often, it´s exactly what we need.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I got a nice compliment yesterday.  An older neighbor said when my sons walked near him, they smiled and said hello.  That I had raised gentlemen.  Simple reflexive kindnesses, little things, small politeness's are the lubricant of civilization.  A greeting, a few kind words, being willing to lend a hand, so important to building the world we want to live in.  

I experienced much about kindness at various Burning Mans, where there's a gift economy.  People and camps were wonderful about sharing.  Also from Haitians, I some time w/ during a hurricane.  Wonderful at warmth, caring and sharing during a trying time.

• Like 2