zerostao

Cultivating a State of Kindness

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

According to Chinese medicine, the element of Metal is associated with the lungs, the large intestine,  and the skin.  Metal is a badass no-nonsense element that knows quality, values refinement, embraces elegance, an element that will shit out bogus imitations with the easy assurance of a Sotherby´s assessor rejecting a fake Ming Dynasty vase.  (Auction this?  Oh please, honey...)  Like a sword, metal cuts.  (The lungs saying yes to oxygen and no to carbon dioxide.)  Metal establishes an exquisitely flexible border between what´s me and what isn´t me.  (Skin.)  Metal lets go of what´s not needed.  (Large intestines.)

Metal is a polished mirror, unerringly reflecting what´s put in front of it.  Metal is a pristine mountain lake with water so clear you can see way, way down, all the way to the bottom.  Metal is the physical embodiment of perfect knowing.  And, according to my Taoist teachers, Metal is kind.

It might seem odd that an element connected with swords and cutting would also be associated with kindness, an emotional upwelling that leads to actions commonly thought of as soft and gentle.  Perhaps we misunderstand kindness.  What if kindness was hard like a diamond and sharp like a knife?  What if kindness had nothing to whatsoever to do with bleeding hearts?  What if kindness was proud, unapologetic, self-assured?  I think kindness sees the other exactly as she is.  There can be something tough and unmerciful about that kind of accurate perception and yet, so often, it´s exactly what we need.

outstanding!

a dozen years ago. I think it was  Chris Matsuo that  mentioned a sword for killing and a sword for healing.

there is the 'murder of crows" and the "kindness of ravens"

i expect Kindness has a great deal to teach us. 

• Thanks 1

Very welcome topic. I do believe that kindness is the thread that keeps me moving forward on this darkened road. If I find myself thinking unkind thoughts toward people, normally for me it's a sign I've lost the thread, and need to reassess things.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Today I was sitting at the local lake by myself as I have been doing as of late, waving to strangers passing by (to very mixed results). A lady with headphones on past by that I casually waved to, and to my surprise she took off her headphones and engaged me. She said, "Evan?" and I thought oh... that's weird. I politely told her my name wasnt Evan and that I didnt think we had met before. With enthusiasm and conviction she had reassured me that we had. Turns out she was a neighbor of a close family friend who we had bumped into a few months ago on a chance occurence and while I was quite furry and bearded back then she happened to recognize me with my new look and struck up a conversation.

There was no breakthrough but there was a shared experience of genuine humanity, concern and sincerity in a 15 min chat. It was uplifting and it brought me good vibes for the rest of my stay in nature. "A Spoonful weighs a Ton" :) 

As far as energetics go, I think our mental/energetic/emotional make up directly influences are ability to experience genuine love from the heart. In the period of a few weeks I went from years of having a wide open heart to feeling emotionally drained, frustrated and unable to emotionally connect in the way I had been enjoying before (both painfully and pleasurably). I have also noticed that when we are in a state of vulnerability (as long as we arent totally overcome with fear) we can plumb the depths of compassion and concern for others. But when we are dealing with difficult emotions like anger or anxiety, it becomes harder to tap into the wondrous well of Kindness, such is my experience

Edited by TranquilTurmoil
  • Like 2

On 23/07/2021 at 11:27 PM, zerostao said:

It is kind of you to notice nungali/

sending warm vibes of kindness your way.

enjoy!

Ah,  I made it through to the few that get selective kindness  ....now I can post music  videos here without you hiding  them . 

let's see now  .......  hang on a minute  ......   I got about 25 of them .....

Spoiler

:D

Posted (edited)
On 24/07/2021 at 3:55 AM, zerostao said:

outstanding!

a dozen years ago. I think it was  Chris Matsuo that  mentioned a sword for killing and a sword for healing.

there is the 'murder of crows" and the "kindness of ravens"

i expect Kindness has a great deal to teach us. 

Murder of crows .... yes.

But

'An UNkindness of ravens '    ( or a 'conspiracy of ravens ' )  .... I should know, its my totem          ;) 

feeaff_bccc2f61b4f94e59a8635ac75d09fa8e~

(Australian blue -eyed rainforest raven .)

Spoiler
Why is a group of ravens called a conspiracy?

A group of ravens is called an "unkindness" or "conspiracy," which seems fitting, since ravens are traditionally considered creepy; in fact, seeing many of them in one place can induce Hitchcockian "The Birds"-like flashbacks in even the least ornithophobic (those people with a fear of birds).

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 1

Feel free to pm them to me and I will think them over.

folks can receive kindness and not necessarily gain privileges, eh?

I didn’t see where I added more bums to the list, hm I will check and see if I overlooked that. 

about the ravens, I defer to your expertise.

well done, nungali

I wonder if any bums decided to become secret agents of kindness?!

If so, you earn more merit by keeping your anonymity. secret agents.

A kinder world takes all of us.  No worries---kindness is contagious. 

https://kindness.org/

I know some of you bums have superpowers. One of mine, yes , i said , "one of" :) one of mine is calmness. 

This thread will grant you another superpower!!! (if you do your part)

Dare to be Radical!! Be kind.

an agent of kindness is an agent of change.

have ya'll ever heard that idiom> "ain't karma a bitch?" or "karma is a MF"

I bet you've heard it or something close.

ya know it is true; what goes around comes around. And karma can be your best friend.

• Like 1

training video for ya'll Secret Agents of Kindness---and reveals a benefit, actually, benefits

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zerostao said:

Secret Agents of Kindness (I)

th?id=OIP.uhmeTxPI8WwEp_xHG1nZrAHaFP&pid=Api&P=0&w=224&h=159

Kindness is POSITIVE ENERGY...

sent out but forgotten?

- Anand

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 2:20 AM, silent thunder said:

610ece380a882_kindnesssprinklethatshiteverywhere.jpg.80133003374bf23bb255216ee9dafe2b.jpg

KINDNESS. IT DOESN'T COST A DIME.

IT FERTILISES EVERYWHERE.

- Anand

• Like 1

"He's na heavy. He's mi brither."

Spoiler

Arthur Clarke vocals, Elton John piano.

That's all for today. it's Monday, eh

I tend towards introversion and don´t generally engage strangers in conversation.  Lately though, I´ve been thinking about the value of social connection  -- and realizing I need more of it.  So I´ve started a new practice I call the Buenos Dias Walk.  As I take my morning walk each day, I make a point to say "buenos dias" to at least 3 people.  (I´m starting easy, with 3, but intend to build up to 10.)  So far it´s been surprisingly easy and effective.  Today I passed a guy rummaging through a trash can for plastic bottles I imagine he intends to recycle for money.  I said my buenos dias and he asked me if I´d like to buy a bag of new clothing for 30 pesos (about $1.50),  I didn´t.  But as I turned around the other way I thought why not give him a few pesos.  He was busy trying to sell the clothes to someone else but I stopped him and gave him 10 pesos.  A minute later he ran after me on the street to give me a sweatshirt.  He didn´t have to give me that sweatshirt: it was a pure act of kindness.  None of this would of happened if I hadn´t been going on my Buenos Dias Walk.  I felt good.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Buenos Dias Walk

Hi Jesse,

Best on a Sunday morning...

2e9fe7561e058ad9389855a581edc726.gif

Kindly take a bow for your kind act.

- Anand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:42 PM, liminal_luke said:

I tend towards introversion and don´t generally engage strangers in conversation.  Lately though, I´ve been thinking about the value of social connection  -- and realizing I need more of it.  So I´ve started a new practice I call the Buenos Dias Walk.  As I take my morning walk each day, I make a point to say "buenos dias" to at least 3 people.  (I´m starting easy, with 3, but intend to build up to 10.)  So far it´s been surprisingly easy and effective.  Today I passed a guy rummaging through a trash can for plastic bottles I imagine he intends to recycle for money.  I said my buenos dias and he asked me if I´d like to buy a bag of new clothing for 30 pesos (about $1.50),  I didn´t.  But as I turned around the other way I thought why not give him a few pesos.  He was busy trying to sell the clothes to someone else but I stopped him and gave him 10 pesos.  A minute later he ran after me on the street to give me a sweatshirt.  He didn´t have to give me that sweatshirt: it was a pure act of kindness.  None of this would of happened if I hadn´t been going on my Buenos Dias Walk.  I felt good.

This is the kind of thing this thread is about. You end the post saying that you felt good. You can bet the guy felt good too.

Well done.

Limahong mentions Sunday mornings. There does seem to be something about a Sunday morning; my bagua was almost always best on Sunday mornings.

And my "It's Monday. eh" did not mean to imply that we can be slack with our kindness on Monday's: it is always a good idea to get something accomplished early on any day and also early in the week. This way, one has already earned a sense of accomplishment for the day and/or the week and from there continue adding accomplishments. Getting any day or week off to a kind start lays a foundation that can be further built upon.

Kindness is a Virtue and helps to acquire Merit.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, zerostao said:

There does seem to be something about a Sunday morning; my bagua was almost always best on Sunday mornings.

She ruined it for me...  Every time I hear or say "Good morning" on a Sunday morning, this pops up in my head now -- even if I use all my willpower to refrain from parroting the line, the intonation, the facial expression, the non sequitur...  

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2021 at 12:43 AM, liminal_luke said:

It might seem odd that an element connected with swords and cutting would also be associated with kindness, an emotional upwelling that leads to actions commonly thought of as soft and gentle.

Hi Jesse,

giphy.gif-

- Anand

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2021 at 3:31 AM, zerostao said:

Observing children, one could think that kindness is inherent in humans. One should think kindness is inherent in humans.

Yes ~

like the rainbow in the chakras...

afaa98b66a03ad8c53474c3e499e2208.gif

th?id=OIP.JacW_DEtxS2LA0wojvFAxwHaEo&pid=Api&P=0&w=257&h=162

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Like 2

Reaching the hard to reach. Reach out with a little kindness. It may not work; but it wont hurt to try. And it may work.

I sense that our little network of secret agents of kindness are doing some undercover work out there. Under the cover of kindness.

Here is an award for your efforts. Merit pay, if you will.

Kindness is an expression of optimism, eh?

Kindness could lead you to a new friendship (s)

Do you know that a little optimism. kindness, friendships, empathy, and mindfulness will lead to healthy longevity.

WALTER J. Growing Young: How Friendship, Optimism, and Kindness Can Help You Live to 100. Discover. 2020;41(5):24. Accessed August 19, 2021  ebscohost

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zerostao said:

Never underestimate the power of Kindness.

th?id=OIP.D2lCLKK9oEUsYwToaliWIQHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=286&h=162

- Anand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zerostao said:

Reaching the hard to reach. Reach out with a little kindness. It may not work; but it wont hurt to try. And it may work.

th?id=OIP.NxvJUg5gAgjBIcuQetetUwHaG5&pid=Api&P=0&w=183&h=171 

th?id=OIP.yFJPRaXtX2suuP_NkTamUgHaB7&pid=Api&P=0&w=501&h=131

"We reach out because we find greater meaning in a life that is shared"

(sowtheheart.com)  

th?id=OIP.UlgAjUv9RH-WXbi7t3UGJgHaE7&pid=Api&P=0&w=270&h=181 

th?id=OIP.pwSU9BYrnXDbafAlDlrKKQHaF1&pid=Api&P=0&w=201&h=159

- Anand

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Kindness as a language the deaf could hear and the blind could see.

Kindness is a sound... sight... rooted in Nature?

It is natural to be kind?

th?id=OIP.nrdyEaJkwLbwkUjepUSAhQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

"Kindness is a trait many people consider key....

to being a 'good person,' but it can be taken for granted.

The importance of being kind often becomes clearer...

when we experience kindness from another person."

(GoodTherapy.org)

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Like 1

Cultivating a State of Kindness

to eliminate...

On 8/16/2021 at 9:13 PM, zerostao said:

The Dangers of "Othering"

let us take the baton from