Associated with the hands and feet.

Vision. Associated with the eyes

Taste.

Associated with the mouth and tongue.

Smell, associated with the nose

And hearing associated with the ears.

But what about the other senses?

The ones beyond the five senses.

And I'm not just talking about the sixth sense; but the ones above.

I've heard. Of about. some people have mentioned even 11 senses; is that true?

And if that's true, what body parts are associated with it.

As we know from synesthesia,  senses do not need to be attached to sense organs e.g. hearing color.  https://www.healthline.com/health/synesthesia

Since senses can exist independently of physical organs, we might consider if senses can exist in non-physical contexts.  Examples include clairaudience, clairvoyance, prophetic dreams, dowsing, telepathy, and perhaps bilocation.

Higher level senses include:  sense of direction, sense of justice, sense of humor, sense of foreboding, etc

It seems that on each sub-plane it is possible to collect substance and form it into a sensory apparatus.   This takes quite a lot of time and effort - usually during meditation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(esotericism)

• Confused 2

Synaesthesia  does not mean that senses do not need to be attached to sense organs .

Actually, I have no idea what that means .

Sight can register heat , hearing can register colour .  Smell can feel .   Also 'wires' can get crossed . Also we are one huge sense organ .

Senses float around sensing things with no apparatus to do that sensing ???  err wot ?

Perhaps you are trying to say a smell can exist without a sense organ to smell it ?

I mean DUDE !  you only had to read the first line of your 'proof reference' that you yourself put up !

" Synesthesia is a neurological condition in which information meant to stimulate one of your senses stimulates several of your senses. " 

( I know some new posters feel the need to go around the threads  and  answer every post with their  'wisdom'  ... but at least READ your own references first ! )

• Like 2

I thought in some oriental traditions that imagination was considered another sense.  Some people have an orientation sense, ie turn them around and they always know the direction they're in.  Which reminds me, animals, particularly birds have a magnetic sense and I believe some people have it too.  Literally traced to a small iron deposit in the front of the head.

Blind people can learn echo location, not that it turns them into Daredevil.   

Looking up 'magnet sense' I found an interesting article on it and other senses- https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/evidence-human-geomagnetic-sense

• Like 1

Imagination can refer to both passive and active experiences.

When I want to see something inwardly, I will usually imagine it until I start to see it.  Then I will look rather than imagine - seeing details that I did not expect and interacting with the players.

The faculty of inner sight can exist on all of the 7 planes and 49 sub-planes, depending upon the accumulation of appropriate substance and the formation of that substance into sense organs.  Mostly that is hard work, but occasionally some refined substance will be shared by another party thus enabling much clearer sight - usually temporary

Imagination can work with other senses too.

Edited by Lairg

Buddhism includes "mind" as the 6th sense. In this case mind is the sense that creates mental objects and stories from the raw phenomena of the other 5 senses.

I would add one other sense or seeing that comes with Wisdom/prajna: "luminosity"/stillness/emptiness - literally seeing the dance of arising and passing, and that none of the seemingly real illusory objects of the world have any intrinsic reality of their own. 

2 hours ago, thelerner said:

I thought in some oriental traditions that imagination was considered another sense.  Some people have an orientation sense, ie turn them around and they always know the direction they're in.  Which reminds me, animals, particularly birds have a magnetic sense and I believe some people have it too.  Literally traced to a small iron deposit in the front of the head.

Blind people can learn echo location, not that it turns them into Daredevil.   

Looking up 'magnet sense' I found an interesting article on it and other senses- https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/evidence-human-geomagnetic-sense

Yep , I posted a little 'paper' on it here years back . Its mostly 'atrophied' in the modern person, the indigenous have it developed more . 

To my surprise, even in NZ I always knew which path to take or which direction to go  (more curious as paths change direction ) I retained the ability from Oz. yet when I returned home it had vanished , and came back several months later .    :huh:

• Like 1

I guess not then .

3 hours ago, Lairg said:

I discovered some time ago that human karma often has a smell - a peculiar tang.

Oh yeah  .... 

Tang-the-retro-orange-drink-mix.jpg

give you bad karma  - look what it did to THAT family !

3 hours ago, Lairg said:

Perhaps police with a "nose for a crime" have a similar faculty

https://www.wordreference.com/EnglishCollocations/a nose for sth

Thats more like 'intuitive process'  - which research has shown , that the most 'intuitive' are those having 'intuitions' within the field they have the most experience in , eg. police with crime , nurses with sickness , old crafty codgers  with .... life .     ;)

15 hours ago, Nungali said:

Yep , I posted a little 'paper' on it here years back . Its mostly 'atrophied' in the modern person, the indigenous have it developed more . 

I read once that it was connected to which one's basic reference frame is. 

People who orient better usually have the four directions as their basic reference, even indoors. 

People who orient worse usually orient with objects (a house, the shape of a table, some geographical object) as their reference.