dwai

How to cope during pandemics

I write this as someone raised an important point recently — instead of battling over opinions about vaccines, theories about origins of the ongoing pandemic etc, why not share ideas and discuss how we’ve dealt with the prolonged isolation, fear, depression and sorrow that’s been going since the pandemic unfolded early last year?

The sense of unease started for me around November 2019, when I sensed an energetic shift. It’s that feeling you get when something major is going to happen, but you don’t really know what. It’s like waiting for when the other shoe will drop (as that proverb goes)…

Only this got worse with time…From a psychological and spiritual/energetic perspective, there was literally a heavy blanket of fear, depression, sorrow and anger all over North America in 2020.

Maybe due to our internal/esoteric practices, my friends and I have ultra high sensitivity to this. The impact of a massive event like the pandemic brought to the forefront what used to come to me (and my close spiritual friends) intermittently before that — the intensity of emotions and it’s effect on (folks like) myself. I suspect that this is also the case for most bums here. 

Emotions such as extreme sorrow, suicidal thoughts, anger, fear was palpable (like it was in the very air itself). 

So what we did was, we started meditating on a daily basis on group phone calls and video chats in the first few months. It was like we built a safety net which would absorb and transform/disperse the overwhelming influx of psychic energy and emotional discharges in the collective subconscious.

We would meditate together, merge our minds and energies and transmute and elevate our vibrational frequency to progressively higher levels. This was an opportunity for us to see how well our practices prepared us to face such a calamity. My friend’s father  was in an ICU, on a ventilator for over two months, his mother was in and out of the hospital as well, due to Covid infection. Others lost cousins and loved ones. I lost an aunt, and other family friends. We supported each other and provided a combined bulwark of spiritual energy to withstand any onslaught we faced individually.

Here are some takeaways —

• The power of satsangha was made apparent to us 
  • collectively we are stronger than individually in face of adversity 
  • even the most terrible/painful  emotions can be transmuted to bliss/peace through meditation
  • meditation in a group helps us overcome individual limitations 
  • praying for the welfare of the world is also a very spiritually uplifting practice 

Would love to read other stories and perspectives. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As a simple, spontaneously thought out response: I find in trying times whether alone or collectively we are forged in the fire and have no choice but to become strong or break emotionally. In solitude we cultivate willpower, and inner reslience and taking refuge in a collective we cleanse our heart.and become a vessel in a different way.. 

The most terrible and painful emotions and situations, related to with innocence, curiousity, openness, equanimity, etc. are often what can lead us to the most profound transmutations and growth... albeit we have wounds to deal with later on usually in my experience.

Praying for the welfare of the world is the heart of the path... and also not for the faint of heart if we are sincere and devoted. As my psych ward therapist aptly commented to me 2 days ago: "LIfe is not for wussies!" (and she said this in a gentle embrace of cmpassion, empathy, and reluctant detachment.

Namaste my friend. :)

• Like 1

Honestly, I´ve been struggling with pandemic issues lately, particularly around the vaccine.  I´ve decided not to be vaccinated, at least for now.  And I can´t tell you how alone, despairing, hurt and angry I feel to be told, over on Toni´s vaccine thread, that my good faith attempts to care for myself have made me into some sort of public enemy.  Some have even suggested that my decision is tantamount to murder.  When I object to this line of thinking, I´m seen as suffering from "Covid discussion disease."  Apparently I´m not supposed to raise my voice.  I´m supposed to talk in calm dulcet tones as the gathered crowd ties me to a stake and gathers their stones. This whole pandemic business was so much easier for me before the advent of the vaccine.

Is there no space here in this "spiritual" community for someone like me?   

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Honestly, I´ve been struggling with pandemic issues lately, particularly around the vaccine.  I´ve decided not to be vaccinated, at least for now.  And I can´t tell you how alone, despairing, hurt and angry I feel to be told, over on Toni´s vaccine thread, that my good faith attempts to care for myself have made me into some sort of public enemy.  Some have even suggested that my decision is tantamount to murder.  When I object to this line of thinking,.I´m seen as suffering from "Covid discussion disease."  Apparently I´m not supposed to raise my voice.  I´m supposed to talk in calm dulcet tones as the gathered crowd ties me to a stake and gathers their stones. This whole pandemic business was so much easier for me before the advent of the vaccine.

Only people who don’t understand inclusivity and compassion (or even rationality) would exile someone over a serious disagreement of perspective. I personally am pro-vaccine and I have anti-vax friends… there beliefs and stance does upset me tbh, but I wouldn’t look down on them or throw them out bc of it or even try to effort fully persuade them if it didn’t seem beneficial. So while I have never chatted with you and have only read your posts over the months, I think you belong here! At least as much as my rambling and overly sincere/expressive posting does! 🤗😇🙏🏼

Edited by TranquilTurmoil
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Why wouldn’t there be? Spirit doesn’t care about opinions, actions, conflicts etc etc. We all are essentially One Spirit — your True Self is also the True Self of us all. 

Imho, we need to have group meditations — where we can share our awareness without discrimination. That’s the way to transcend conflicts. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dwai said:

Why wouldn’t there be? 

On the ultimate level of Spirit, of course we´re all one.  I dunno, maybe you´re right and the answer is to meditate and settle into that sweet realization.  Still, it´s challenging to feel a sense of sangha when Ralis is telling me I´m (potentially) responsible for thousands of deaths.  You´re suggesting we start a group meditation in a war zone.  A good idea perhaps but not an easy one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

On the ultimate level of Spirit, of course we´re all one.  I dunno, maybe you´re right and the answer is to meditate and settle into that sweet realization.  Still, it´s challenging to feel a sense of sangha when Ralis is telling me I´m (potentially) responsible for thousands of deaths.  You´re suggesting we start a group meditation in a war zone.  A good idea perhaps but not an easy one.

I think mini sanghas within a larger sangha are risky but sometime necessary to cultivate genuine refuge and prevent detrimental chaos? Take refuge in those you feel comfortable with, forgive and disengage/separate from conflict situations that aren’t ready to be solved, and only try to build bridges when the time comes maybe…

I see how that’s challenging on a public forum, but as tempting and seductive it may be to try to present ones case to others either skillfully or in argument… sooner or later you have to retreat from toxic conversations and dynamics lest it sour your spirit.

*Prays for the discernment to practice what I preach 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

Is there really a war going on? Or is it just a conflict within the confines of our own minds?

If the war is in the mind, then the solution also can be found in the mind itself, right? 

For the poisons of anger, distrust and conflict, the antidote is only love. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dwai said:

Is there really a war going on? 

Yes, there really is a war.  Now, it´s true of course that I could choose not to engage.  I could shut my laptop down and go for a walk, make a chicken and broccoli stir-fry, or doodle.  I could even choose to -- gasp! -- meditate.  Within the confines of my own mind, there´s always the option of stepping through the golden door marked "peace.".  But outside, there is a war.  It´s happening.  Not a figment of my imagination.  Ralis really did imply that I might be killing thousands.  There are real people making  real accusations.  I could choose not to pay them any mind but I can´t meditate them away.

Edited by liminal_luke

27 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Yes, there really is a war.  Now, it´s true of course that I could choose not to engage.  I could shut my laptop down and go for a walk, make a chicken and broccoli stir-fry, or doodle.  I could even choose to -- gasp! -- meditate.  Within the confines of my own mind, there´s always the option of stepping through the golden door marked "peace.".  But outside, there is a war.  It´s happening.  Not a figment of my imagination.  Ralis really did imply that I might be killing thousands.  There are real people making  real accusations.  I could choose not to pay them any mind but I can´t meditate them away.

It’s just one person’s opinion. Why take it so seriously?  Take precautions and wait it out until you can take a well educated, delineated decision. History of vaccinations has always been like that. It has taken decades to achieve immunization for the majority. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Honestly, I´ve been struggling with pandemic issues lately, particularly around the vaccine.  I´ve decided not to be vaccinated, at least for now.  And I can´t tell you how alone, despairing, hurt and angry I feel to be told, over on Toni´s vaccine thread, that my good faith attempts to care for myself have made me into some sort of public enemy.  Some have even suggested that my decision is tantamount to murder.  When I object to this line of thinking, I´m seen as suffering from "Covid discussion disease."  Apparently I´m not supposed to raise my voice.  I´m supposed to talk in calm dulcet tones as the gathered crowd ties me to a stake and gathers their stones. This whole pandemic business was so much easier for me before the advent of the vaccine.

I've been trying to share my own response to the pandemic and the conflicts arising from the various facets of it.

Anything I share is about me, and I acknowledge it may also unintentionally cause you or others some pain.

This is the nature of this unprecedented situation we face.

If we choose to engage each other in discussing it from our different perspectives we are guaranteed some discomfort, as long as we identify with our position and its consequences. That is very real but also only a part of the truth.

I've also been hoping to encourage a turning away from that identification - the one who grasps at information, the emotions, the thoughts, the pain, and towards a Refuge.

I genuinely believe that is the only way forward for me, inward through the pain and towards the spacious clarity and warmth of being.

My practices and sangha have been a life raft for me, particularly early in the pandemic when I was very exposed and feeling very vulnerable, in the absence of any protection (no matter whether that "protection" proves to be adequate and benign - only time will tell).

I can only speak for myself as a member (and moderator), but if I haven't made it clear already, unequivocally...

YES!  (yes, there is a place for someone like you in this spiritual community)

This is a tough subject to discuss and a tough subject for each of us as individuals to navigate for many different reasons.

My hope is that we can come together here as a community and learn how to offer each other support and respect, even when we disagree. If we can't, then why are we even here? We certainly would not qualify as genuine seekers and practitioners if we're unwilling to go in that direction, as far as I'm concerned. That is the kind of environment I am unapologetically working towards fostering here. Choosing to eschew the vaccine out of genuine personal health concerns in the present situation and still taking reasonable precautions to protect ourselves and those around us is NOT lacking in compassion, IMO. Seeing and feeling your sincerity and inner struggle on the topic and being unable or unwilling to be understanding and supportive most certainly IS lacking in both empathy and compassion. We can't expect everyone here to be willing or able to act with empathy and compassion, regardless of which side of this argument we are on. On the other hand, we can hopefully help everyone to see this in themselves and give them the opportunity to grow from the experience, you and me included.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, @steve.  I do feel your warmth and friendship and it´s much appreciated.  Psychologist Rick Hanson says that the brain is like Velcro for negative experiences and Teflon for positive ones.  That´s certainly been my experience: I know there´s a lot of good feeling towards me here but my brain hones in on the negative.  

I think you´ve made some good points in the discussion.  For starters, Covid is dangerous.  It doesn´t make sense to examine the potential risks of the available vaccines with an electron microscope while turning a blind eye to the potential benefits.  I appreciate your openness in saying that, while the vaccines appear to be mostly safe, there´s no 100% guarantee.  For what it´s worth, everything I think about the vaccines could be completely wrong.  I´m not a scientist, not a doctor, not even an avid health research hobbyist. If I do anything well, in my own not very humble opinion, it´s assess other people´s research skills.  That´s what I´ve done here, listened for the voice that felt most trustworthy.  In particular, I found the video Cheya posted from Dr. Peter McCullough about the lack of attention to early ambulatory treatment convincing.  He wasn´t addressing the vaccine issue per se but I went away from that video thinking there´s more going on with this whole Covid thing than meets the eye. Time will tell if my ideas about all this prove correct.  (Let´s hope not.)

What´s going on here on the forum likely wouldn´t bother me so much if it didn´t mirror dynamics in my in-person life.  All of my friends are advocates for vaccination.  My mom, whom I haven´t seen in over a year, doesn´t want me to visit because I haven´t been vaccinated.  I understand and respect her position: she thinks a visit could endanger her or her partner or me.  Still, it stings a little.  

Anyway, I´m rambling.  Suffice it to say that I appreciate your wisdom -- who we are isn´t a vaccine decision -- and most of all your friendship.

Waving from across the great Covid cultural divide,

Luke

• Like 6

Well, thanks for that 'ramble'   , it explains your  sensitivity here on the forum as it is also a problem in your 'real life' .

I am not vaccinated, dont plan to be soon, but may change my mind   in the future  ( I think I got that from your posts too ? )  . However, I am in an opposite situations where few around me are vaccinated and , at the moment , in my area no one is infected . So if I do decide to get vaccinated, I would be the odd one out  here .

• Like 2

Back to the topic, I would offer , specifically to  some people in my country, to GET REAL !  I feel its time for a bit of hard arseness .  I saw a woman on the news , who they made a big deal about , crying and being distressed, because of a lock down,  that her and  hubby  would miss and their kids would miss their first  ......

ski holiday . 

I have watched similar complaints and bawling because a holiday was cancelled, a boat trip could not be taken and a whole list of other  minor inconveniences  that rich people are wailing about .   

I was sitting at an outdoor cafe in town with a small group on the weekend, and all of a sudden  one of them ( who is healthy, family healthy, no covid in sight in the area, can travel  around the  state - except areas of Sydney - as they want, has only minor inconvenience, still has a job and income , erupt  angrily at our table and burst out " I am sick of this,  when is it going to end ,   friggin this , friggen that etc . blah blah ! "

Aussies, get a grip !  My advise for you to be able to cope is  .... fer Gawds sake , dont you realise how bad it actually is out there for others in other places  ? And how good you got it here ?   Its just a little lockdown .

... and speaking of that  ..... it seems Indonesia is having a disaster , apparently they went into lockdown too late. At the moment Australia ( and others ) are pumping tons of equipment  there ; respirators, masks, vaccine , etc

Thats another way to cope .... by helping others that have it worse than you do .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Thats another way to cope .... by helping others that have it worse than you do .

Well said! 

26 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Back to the topic, I would offer , specifically to  some people in my country, to GET REAL !  I feel its time for a bit of hard arseness .  I saw a woman on the news , who they made a big deal about , crying and being distressed, because of a lock down,  that her and  hubby  would miss and their kids would miss their first  ......

ski holiday . 

I have watched similar complaints and bawling because a holiday was cancelled, a boat trip could not be taken and a whole list of other  minor inconveniences  that rich people are wailing about .  

In the good ole' USA it's all about the hair...

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/6/10/21285542/hair-cut-protest-lockdown-culture-war

• Like 1