zerostao

21st century: Problems & Solutions

In the wake of 2020, with its “pandemic” birthing crisis after crisis, 

here is space to look at current humanitarian challenges and to address them outside of political BS consideration. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, zerostao said:

here is space to look at current humanitarian challenges

Plenty.

4 minutes ago, zerostao said:

to address them outside of political BS consideration.

Good luck! :(:ph34r:

• Thanks 1

Well, at least we survived the ice age which in the 1970s "climate experts" and "scientists" had scheduled for right about now.  Whew! 

• Haha 1

Lost hope, lost idealism but plenty of bitching.  My state, Illinois, had quite a few utopian cities created in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  Most didn't last, some were founded by zealots, idiots others by progressive futurists.  I don't see anything like that these days.  No cities going up, in the name of.. whatever. 

Too bad.  Cause telecommuting would make it easier.  We live in malaise.. 

• Like 1

Just wait till AI and robotics takes away 70% of the jobs. The doodoo will hit the proverbial fan then…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dwai said:

Just wait till AI and robotics takes away 70% of the jobs. The doodoo will hit the proverbial fan then…

I put down laughing face, but it might come to pass.  

I'm trying to beat the curve by always being overly courteous to my Alexa smart speaker.

So hopefully, I'll already have one AI friend.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

if Neo saved us once he can do it again, (since he is somehow coming back again)

On 7/8/2021 at 10:54 PM, zerostao said:

In the wake of 2020, with its “pandemic” birthing crisis after crisis, here is space to look at current humanitarian challenges and to address them outside of political BS consideration.

th?id=OIP.eJ-McljuSkyRXim_n4FY1AHaDt&pid=Api&P=0&w=314&h=158

What might a “Humanitarian Grand Challenge” look like?

We have adopted the following definition of humanitarian assistance:

“Humanitarian assistance is generally accepted to mean the aid and action designed to save lives, alleviate suffering and maintain and protect human dignity during and in the aftermath of man-made crises and natural disasters, as well as to prevent and strengthen preparedness for the occurrence of such situations.”

• Like 1

One paradigm shift I'd wish for is our view of- Adoption.  We think of it as younger couples wanting babies.  It's a thriving business, w/ long waiting periods.  I wonder if society would be improved if we enlarged our idea of Adoption.  Your kids are your kids at any age, so why not adopt adults?  Adults who need it.  Food, love, shelter encouragement.  

If middle aged and older couples adopted some needy adults, treated them as if they were their own, we'd have a better society.  Most other solutions are piecemeal; not long or in depth enough.  Some problems only a loving supportive parent can make a dent in. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Your kids are your kids at any age, so why not adopt adults?  Adults who need it.  Food, love, shelter encouragement.  

A great idea but a hard ask.  Lots of prospective adoptive parents want babies so even teenagers face hurdles getting adopted.  Needy adults are, if anything, even less adoptable.  And yet many needy adults are taken care of, often through informal arrangements.  Sometimes families care for needy oldsters.  Sometimes someone starts out not so needy, gets married, becomes needy...and the "in sickness or in health" clause kicks in.  

Some adults are more needy than others but most of us have our needy moments.  I know I do.  Once I was having a hard time walking and a literal little old lady grabbed my arm and helped me across the street.  It can be nice to be adopted, if only for a moment.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

A great idea but a hard ask..  

hmnn maybe it'll have to be more like Adopt an X.. like from the zoo kind of thing.  

Or Sponsor a person from X country.. we need 200 sponsors at $6.95 a month to make a difference in the life of an Urbaneer.  

• Like 1

In my neck of the woods, it is not uncommon to find such "adoptions" strictly informal, like Luke mentions. We don't call them adoptions. No one asks for financial assistance to bring in someone. We don't use language like 'hand outs', we may say give a little helping hand , or a hand up. Often, the person needing a little help, and we face it like this, everyone needs a little helping hand sometime, it's part of life.

A neighbor may ask, who is that staying over at your place here lately? ah, someone who needed a place to stay over for a bit. very usual. Usually, the person just need a little time and space to figure out what they needed to do, composed themselves, and moved on. Sometimes though, you may gain an 'extended family member' or longer term room mate.

When I came up to Richmond, August 2012, I didn't have a vehicle or a place to stay. I was starting off at EKU and at an all night Waffle House, just hanging out, nursing a cup of coffee. The cook was starting conversation with me and the server also. The cook said, he was gonna fix himself something to eat, and offered to fix me breakfast for free. The server said, if I wanted, I could use her couch a couple of days. I declined both offers; a little rude on my part, tbh. Two complete strangers offering a little helping hand to me, when it looked like I might be a little down and out. I wasn't, but it would've been a little easier on me as I transitioned into a new town.

When hospitality is extended, it's better to accept it, really, I've learned. It is almost always a mutually beneficial experience and outcome. There are a few rare exceptions.

Around the holidays, just about every 'stray' has been taken into someone's home. There are some that are hard to reach or hard to coax in, some folks have a lot going on internally (mentally) maybe some trust issues lingering from past experiences somewhere, some tough things going on for some. The Struggle Is Real. We all deal with it in some manner. The struggle is softened some, when folks are there to help folks out. And it is the norm here.

The alternative is, we run the risk of having feral people hanging close by and that isn't really acceptable. 

Sure, the state offers some assistance and whatever, but that's not really the style here. 

I've been meaning to post on the kindness thread, my available free time has tightened up quite a bit, between work, class, my practices,,,new acquaintances,, 

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, zerostao said:

trust

th?id=OIP.2HkV3mLiaLQIOqtd3-Xx2gHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=228&h=153

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement

On 7/18/2021 at 6:18 AM, thelerner said:

So hopefully, I'll already have one AI friend

... constituted in aluminum

th?id=OIP.ZW3nyJFwuwQO32IMkO5XHAHaEE&pid=Api&P=0&w=297&h=164

th?id=OIP.Re01y2QKelgnGRHGQ95e8QHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=259&h=174

th?id=OIP.R-7Ek-qgS4TfoKa8UrtEOwHaD_&pid=Api&P=0&w=287&h=155

th?id=OIP.8Elalk5zuG_zbLVlvq99-gHaDq&pid=Api&P=0&w=304&h=151 th?id=OIP.Qg5VOJtTCyop_j5FTNGg5wHaGA&pid=Api&P=0&w=216&h=176

Please keep it warm...

th?id=OIP.tcjLBG1HZRWGmkRq3OLBrAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

- Anand

here is space to look at current humanitarian challenges and to address them

They are...

th?id=OIP.VFs02MxcQJ58AqeIJ1f3agHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=261&h=175 th?id=OIP.myyXBeseFJDkUbjbiBzGTgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.QpPj_tdnx2XLvdytuNAU9AHaGr&pid=Api&P=0&w=228&h=206 th?id=OIP.ny8G9qlqpsmdgRvMxISvSwHaFL&pid

Yes, no... yes & no to the above?

- Anand

The former is rooted in Ying?

The latter surfaces in Yang?

th?id=OIP.QHoM_ElBlXgr2vZKJYrwsQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

But isn't everything...

th?id=OIP.b_IUdzO9AiJ3MBy-JbNqpAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=193&h=160

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 4:37 PM, thelerner said:

One paradigm shift I'd wish for is our view of- Adoption.  We think of it as younger couples wanting babies.  It's a thriving business, w/ long waiting periods.  I wonder if society would be improved if we enlarged our idea of Adoption.  Your kids are your kids at any age, so why not adopt adults?  Adults who need it.  Food, love, shelter encouragement.  

If middle aged and older couples adopted some needy adults, treated them as if they were their own, we'd have a better society.  Most other solutions are piecemeal; not long or in depth enough.  Some problems only a loving supportive parent can make a dent in.

A friend and mentor of mine has done this multiple times.

He's nearing retirement now, but through my years working with him, I recall him relating memories of five young adults that he brought into his home over the decades, became their dad and adopted as his own.  They're all living full lives, some in other countries.  As he describes it, it was the most natural thing.  In each case he came to know them through the process of life and in each case, he related, there was 'no choice'.  

He saw a need and he knew in his core instantly, he could fill it, so without hesitation he did.

He's one of those rare masters of life, not just of a craft.

• Like 6