anshino23

Wonderful interview with Ian Baker

A few comments on this great interview.

Buddhism has always adapted to new cultural context and accepted good innovations through the Mahasiddha masters' enlightened vision. Tantric methods aren't quintessentially Buddhist, but such training can make life and spiritual progress easier and more satisfying. You can see in the interview that in the Buddhist context energetic phenomena don't usually progress as predominately and physically as in Daoism whose adherents have made physical cultivation into highly sophisticated arts.

Then what are the essentials of Buddhism? Development of wisdom, all-inclusive heart (Bodhichitta), and meditative insight. The last in particular isn't featured in any other spiritual tradition that I know of.

Another remark, based on the interview:

Spoiler

Western cultivation crazies have got it entirely wrong: the copper wire goes into the penis, not the anus.

• Like 2

I like that he is open to so-called heresy (i.e. innovation in practice based on observed truths).

Nonetheless, his stated appreciation and great respect for David Verdesi is somewhat concerning.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, virtue said:

Then what are the essentials of Buddhism? Development of wisdom, all-inclusive heart (Bodhichitta), and meditative insight. The last in particular isn't featured in any other spiritual tradition that I know of.

This interesting.  I don't know of any other spiritual tradition that has it either, but I know of two other places where extreme emphasis is placed on peeling through personality to get to the awaiting inner realization.   Freemasonry (Scottish rites) and the 12 steps of recovery.