Sign in to follow this  
rocala

Hard Times and Spiritual Insight

I have started to read ' The Elements of Shamanism' by Neville Drury. He quotes one source as saying "the Shamanistic calling may come during some great misfortune, dangerous illness, sudden loss of family" etc.

A little later I returned to a book previously started, Sangharakshita's 'The Buddha's Noble Eightfold Path'. Referring to the "Path of Vision" (usually known as right understanding). The author states that "it arises for some as a result of personal tragedy, bereavement or loss."

I was struck by the obvious similarity of the statements and I wonder how widely if at all, it is recognized. Are there similar references in other traditions?

Edited by rocala
forgotten word
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, rocala said:

Are there similar references in other traditions?

Everywhere. Have you ever heard of Christianity, the Gospel and Passion of Christ, Christian martyrs, and the persecution of the early Church?

Wanting to do away with suffering is the usual reason why people enter the spiritual path. Later on it's mature spiritual wisdom when the practitioner realizes how enriching their personal hardships can be and that there's nothing to worry or wail about.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, virtue said:

Have you ever heard of Christianity

Yes, around the same time that I was learning good manners.

21 minutes ago, virtue said:

Wanting to do away with suffering is the usual reason why people enter the spiritual path.

Not really what I was referring to. I think that the writers had something akin to a flash of insight in mind.

20 hours ago, virtue said:

Everywhere. Have you ever heard of Christianity, the Gospel and Passion of Christ, Christian martyrs, and the persecution of the early Church?

Wanting to do away with suffering is the usual reason why people enter the spiritual path. Later on it's mature spiritual wisdom when the practitioner realizes how enriching their personal hardships can be and that there's nothing to worry or wail about.

any particular book you can recommend? thanks.

Edited by liberale.ironikerin
thanks.

31 minutes ago, rocala said:

Not really what I was referring to. I think that the writers had something akin to a flash of insight in mind.

Sorry, but I disagree and there's enough tangent to the topic to warrant an off-hand comment. The turning of heart is well to be examined from different perspectives.

18 minutes ago, liberale.ironikerin said:

any particular book you can recommend? 

The Holy Bible, New Testament in particular.

Liu Yousheng's magnificent book: Let the Radiant Yang Shine Forth: Lectures on Virtue

Books by Wang Fengyi are also excellent.

• Like 1

My own path towards spirituality grew out of trauma. Something is often needed to shake one out of the complacency of our samsaric, self-centered existence. 

• Like 3

The concept of the 'Dark Midnight of the Soul' runs through many cultures.  Go deep, quiet the mind enough and you might get to a pretty dark, nihilistic place.  As if you were heading towards 'enlightenment' but took a wrong turn.. everything sucks and there's no reason or meaning in anything.  

Death and tragedy can trip people into the state to.  Some require mental hospitalization, others fall back to normal, a few find it a necessary step on the way to enlightenment. 

A lesser drama is once you've got the mind quiet for longer periods, the negativity (shit) comes out..louder.  Quiet the 1,000 thoughts and the ones that remain hit harder and be way more disturbing.  I've found without a positive direction, the mind drifts in a negative direction.  

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this