Hannes

How did the year of the pandemic change you?

@liminal_luke

These are some very interesting questions and I like to answer them from my perspective and invite others to invite those from theirs. 

I´m not a fan of the question this thread poses. Did you get the vaccine?  can be such a polarizing question.  It´s a question that nudges us towards dividing up into groups rather than coming together.  Here are some other questions I like better...

What has been most difficult for you about the pandemic?

What have you learned about yourself during the pandemic?

How have you maintained connections with other people during the pandemic?

How have you taken care of yourself during the pandemic?  

The feeling that the world has changed forever. Like the feeling after 9/11 but even stronger. We all seemed isolated and the feeling of freedom was lost. I also missed going to clients, both being in a different place and talking to people.
Being with my wife for 24/7 was also hard. After a while the lines blur where I end and she begins. 

That I want to help people more. I aided a lot of people with filling in their PUA. It got me to think of getting a law degree and made me go back to school to get my Bachelor degree.
Although it was already an ongoing process, I finally realized I am an artist in nature. 

I also learned that I neglected the fact that I am an introvert and need alone time to recharge and accomplish things.
I further learned how "busy" hectic society is, and that is not healthy or productive.

I froze my ass of in my backyard in this Chicago winter, but we still had people over. I also connected to people by helping them with paperwork.
I still talked to people, only outside instead of inside. I used my phone more.

I started college, walked in nature and had the time to rethink my life. I would say that for us the pandemic had a huge silver lining.
I made a home office in the basement and realized I needed this secluded space for years.

I also shifted my goals from what society considers successful to what my soul considers fruitful.

I also see a shift in the people around me. A change in priorities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great observations, @Hannes.  Thanks!

I wish I could say I spent the pandemic mastering the art of sourdough bread baking, finally reading Tolstoy, or familiarizing myself with Damo Mitchell´s approach to the microcosmic orbit.  I haven´t been, shall we say, a pandemic superstar.  But the pandemic isn´t over quite yet -- despite the recent uptick in plane travel, indoor dining, and cheerful social reunions -- and perhaps there´s still time for me to learn a thing or two.  I´ve been wrestling lately with an interesting (to me, anyway) psychological dilemma: can I sustain a feeling of emotional connection with loved ones who disagree with me about important issues?  And when I say important issues I mean, in particular, Covid vaccination.  Most people tend to affiliate with others along cognitively aligned tribal lines.  People who like or dislike Trump, for instance, tend to stick together in likeminded groups.  It can be challenging to feel warm and fuzzy towards those we strongly disagree with.  This is one of the emotional maturity challenges of the moment: loving (and allowing ourselves to feel loved by) the many folks who´ve made a choice about Covid vaccination different from our own.  This is the growing edge I find myself edging up on today. 

• Like 4

Lack of socializing.  My usual haunts weren't available, the coffee shops, restaurants, plays, music.. all canceled.  I got a VR game system (Oculus) and lived a more virtual life.

I've understood meditation better, thanks to more practice and the Waking Up app.  Seeing it more holistically as getting in touch with the truer self.  

I tried but it was harder.  I think of myself as middle of the road as far as protection but others were much stricter and largely quarantined themselves.  

Picked up a couple of health habits.  From the top, teeth- rinsing my mouth out several times a day til no little bits of food come out.  Also spitting out the toothpaste at night but not rinsing it out, so a little more film stays in my mouth overnight.  From the bottom I've been putting foot powder on my feet after showers.  It dries and keeps them from itching during the night. I've let the middle pretty much go to rot.

Had a good AM program lifting kettlebells that was going well, til I quit it due to an aching shoulder.  More meditation.  

Having 1 or 2 small coffee and one green tea a day.  Taking vitamin D.  

Fighting unsuccessfully the Covid 15#'s but back on track now.  Been hanging out w/ some 72 year olds who are amazing examples of health and fitness.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, thelerner said:

whoops double post.

Edited by thelerner

On 6/20/2021 at 1:48 PM, Hannes said:

I've answered these a few days ago in a different thread. I think the answers will change and deepen by the day, I think the fact that we are well into the second year now will color my answers to all of these. I like these questions and wonder if you have come across similar ones that we can add.