Vajra Fist

Chyawanprash

Recently bought a pot of this from an ayurveda shop. Any bums use this jam regularly and what benefits have you noticed from it?

• Like 3

A decade or so ago, I used chayawanprash for a couple years, just a spoonful or so a day. I loved the stuff! Can't remember what benefits there may have been, but I pretty much stopped it because of the high sugar content. I liked the versions made with honey best... Totally yummy.

• Like 2

Thanks for the nutritional tip @Vajra Fist :)  I've never heard of this before.  Here's some favorable research on its benefits published at nih.gov.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6571565/

According to this, the traditional health benefit claims have merit; but, due to increasing popularity one needs to be cautious of inferior formulations and preparations.

Edited by Daniel
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I used to take it, years ago.  The quality of the brand I used at the time deteriorated taste-wise since then, toward unbearable sweetness.  I just couldn't handle the last jar I bought, so I abandoned it.  If anyone can point me toward a reputable brand that is not overly sweet, I'd give it another try.   

• Like 1

I have been quite curious about chyawanprash, have you noticed some benefitial effects?

I only know about it that one of my friends who studied tibetan medicine and a bit of ayurveda is promoting it quite happily as a way to restore ojas if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Miroku said:

I have been quite curious about chyawanprash, have you noticed some benefitial effects?

I only know about it that one of my friends who studied tibetan medicine and a bit of ayurveda is promoting it quite happily as a way to restore ojas if I remember correctly.

Don't get me wrong, it was utterly delicious. But felt like I was just eating a spoonful of marmalade from the fridge, bit like I did as a hungover student in my 20s. Didn't feel much from it, but then it was only a month or so I stuck with it.

• Like 1

Just now, Vajra Fist said:

Don't get me wrong, it was utterly delicious. But felt like I was just eating a spoonful of marmalade from the fridge, bit like I did as a hungover student in my 20s. Didn't feel much from it, but then it was only a month or so I stuck with it.

Yeah that is the main reason why I have not yet paid the 15 dollars it costs in here. :D But honestly looking at the herbs etc, it could actually be quite high in antioxidants and that itself can be quite benefitial. Nothing a handful of blueberries wouldn't do probably... but still.

I am thinking about buying it because of the antioxidants and high vitaminc C content that would go great with my daily porridge.

3 minutes ago, Miroku said:

Yeah that is the main reason why I have not yet paid the 15 dollars it costs in here. :D But honestly looking at the herbs etc, it could actually be quite high in antioxidants and that itself can be quite benefitial. Nothing a handful of blueberries wouldn't do probably... but still.

I am thinking about buying it because of the antioxidants and high vitaminc C content that would go great with my daily porridge.

Yeah, I would imagine that would be fairly lush with porridge! Definitely wouldn't do any harm either

• Like 1

Sugar free, but sweetened with sorbitol and sucralose.

Nah.

I'll take mine with honey.

Just can't go crazy with it, lol

I just got my small package of Chyawanprash (250g) and quite frankly I love the taste. It reminds me of Czech povidla with its texture, smell and taste although chyawanprash is more bitter than sweet. I will try taking it regularly and lets see if I will get those amazing benefits of replenished ojas and better complexion etc. or if I will just enjoy a daily spoonful of an expensive jam. :D

• Like 1

@Miroku   Curious which brand you got that was "more bitter than sweet."  Sounds like a version I'd like!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheya said:

@Miroku   Curious which brand you got that was "more bitter than sweet."  Sounds like a version I'd like!

Dabur as it is virtually the only one being sold here. :) And it tastes good in black tea too a bit like yogi tea.

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, Taomeow said:

I used to take it, years ago.  The quality of the brand I used at the time deteriorated taste-wise since then, toward unbearable sweetness.  I just couldn't handle the last jar I bought, so I abandoned it.  If anyone can point me toward a reputable brand that is not overly sweet, I'd give it another try.   

https://herbsforever.com/product/chywanprash-capsules/

• Like 1