Sign in to follow this  
old3bob

not site tech. GFCI breaker related.

Always have qualified electrician involved if you are a diy'er and unsure of electrical issuses!  FYI and per this experience  I'm not a certified or qualified electrician so its on you to do electrical things right:  I was changing out a GFCI outlet device today and had never known that if one gets the line and load sides mixed up that its little green or led (power) indicator light can still come on even though wired incorrectly. (which mine did)  I had never noticed this before because i had never gotten the line and load sides mixed up before and their  little trip and reset buttons had always worked which is of primary concern and should be tested per oem recommendations.  Thought this info might help save some time for a diy'er in making sure the line and load sides are installed right per oem specs.

Edited by old3bob

a couple of more electrical issues I've come across:

1. All LED light bulbs are not created equal!  For instance I've tried generic brands that have burned out faster than the old incandescent bulbs,  and those particular bulbs were advertised to last many years.  

2. Be careful about using LED bulbs that are not designed to be dimmed.

3. LED bulbs may not work correctly with self illuminated light switch's.  They will still light up but the little indicator light switch will not. (like on a 3-way switch circuit)

4. the base of some LED bulbs seem to run much hotter than others, not sure why?

5. The lower wattage usage is a big benefit!  Regardless of what, "you know who" says.

6. I'm still waiting for the prices to come way down for automotive LED replacement bulbs!  (they are sky high)

7. LED work lights (or high wattage flood lights) can't be beat compared to the old dangerously hot running ones !  

8. LED shop lights are very light and will not break like the old long fluorescent ones. (nor hum and flicker or need warming up for full light) 

I get around that problem by having everything 12v dc .  One or two things need 240  v  ac  (like charging cordless tools,) but  small inverter does that .

Most led lights have a conversion from 240 inside them, so I get those and rip out the wiring and wire direct into the 12v system.

I only noticed this recently ;  I can buy 12 v led lights at most stores s they re common for houses now , they have  converter installed somewhere for 12 v ceiling lights  but   SOME  just screw straight into  240 v socket  ..... all the conversion electronics is in each bulb

Whaaat ?   That makes each bulb crazy expensive, and think of the  e-trash that generates .

These ones, about  $1 - $7 each

290cf20b-63b7-4db9-a064-d61e56ba7d27_1.a

But these ones '

maxresdefault.jpg

haave electronic conversion inside each bulb .  12 _ 15  $s  each

• Like 1

not only did vinyl records come back but so did the vacuum tube amps !  (hard to believe)

download.jpg.02345eaebe303a9a9e9bd2bdc607867b.jpg

supposed to sound richer in tone.  (btw some of those have way higher voltage via step up transformers compared to new amps !)

Ha  ... I was going to post some pics of those  in the retro tech thread .

Someone is manufacturing them again ?    apparently for all types of uses , nano versions, outer space versions, in computers ....

I remember as a lad the  B & W telly would go on the blink and  after a call a man would come around in a van and have a case of various tubes  and start pulling apart the tv in the lounge room .

Now ?   Just e-trash it . 

I wonder if Iron Man was ever  vacuum tube powered  ?

JoyUGpCHomWKOiZ2o1Gbg3oYvOtdPHreMFHciXiB

yea, I got that audio  amp picture in the wrong post -- i'd say no biggy though since many are not showing  much interest in either one.

I remember the TV repair guy also, or going down to a store where you could test tubes yourself.  (btw. only 3-4 TV stations to watch way back then along with having to tweak the antenna around with its remote positioner.) 

Sign in to follow this