Nungali

Retro Tech

On 6/25/2021 at 2:47 PM, Nungali said:

Just for fun

trike style reminds me of thunderdome ...(filmed in your home country)

(with mercy for Master Blaster)

Edited by old3bob

'Trike style ' ?   Here we call that a motor cycle with a sidecar  ( although ours are much smaller  :)  ) .

A trike here is

pic0035.jpg

Uggghhhh  .... the horror .

Or even worse  , though I guess you still get to lean on it

tilting-motor-trike.jpg '

[  friend told me ; " never join the 'Old Bastards Club' , its ride a few km, pull over and wait for the trikes to catch up , ride a few km, pull over and wait for the trikes to catch up  .... and so on .

.... back to retro tech ;

righto, sidecar it is...and your latest additions are interesting but they must be hard to ride and I don't see much in the way of brakes on them which must have also made for an interesting ride ;-)

from the movie "The worlds  fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins,

download.jpg.75a0a6d1ef06417690e8c6dac8b0e0bb.jpg

and Burt Munro that it was based on.

img-1536033839-9345-10657-3116304801_dbd194e677__aWxvdmVrZWxseQo_CropResizeWzUwMCxudWxsLDg1LCJqcGciXQ.jpg.9aaf4ebd5acb3360ca2147a38fd58d4b.jpg

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

Great movie .     :)

'Whats that you got on there ?"

" Racing tyre .  It was a normal tyre but I cut the tread off . "

"What with ? "

"  a  bread knife . "

He broke the land speed record for under 1000cc  - 184.087 mph (296.2593 km/h ...  with unofficial top speed of 205.67 mph  ) his record still stands

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR93F82ySoigWTnNafHrCP       images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUhR5J0aNnvtFVRe7XkOo

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nungali said:

Crystal radio

220px-Vintage_Arrow_Germanium_Crystal_Ra

Reveal hidden contents

300px-CrystalRadio.jpg

il_570xN.1990999381_6emg.jpg

had a different one of those as a kid. :)  (from Radio shack) 

• Like 1

_ _ . , _ _ _ ,  _  _ _ , _ ..  :  _ . . , . _ , _ . _ _

(improvised with commas for a pause and colon for a space)

download.jpg.04747f2cbc8feecf9d0ff8922ba5d405.jpg

il_794xN.1227657168_j17x.thumb.jpg.3f2e9acdab34d32828cf951641527125.jpg

Edited by old3bob
touch up
  • Like 1

more speakers meant hearing loss after awhile,  I'm at about 50% loss in making out some peoples voices! (without any proof of a vaccine causing it ;-)

download.jpg.cb7212e95d0e23269855f49e4dd8210a.jpg

its amazing how far speaker technology has come in about 25 & 50 year periods!

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

this was a fairly modern camera (Nikon FG which we still have)  back in its day but even then one had to or should  know some settings and operations for it besides auto:

images.jpg.895ddc1159c83f6759e718128654473d.jpg

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nungali said:

Steampunks heaven

beautiful old tech, and looks to  have been rebuilt with a lot of TLC !  The original company does not look to have been cheap-ass at all!

Bornholm_Rundt_2012_(2012-07-08),_by_Klu

Citroen DS

The worlds first mass produced front wheel drive , four wheel independent suspension, uni-body construction ( omitting a separate chassis, and instead using the body of the car itself as its main load-bearing structure) - in 1934 !  In 1954 they produced the world's first hydro-pneumatic self-levelling suspension .  A year later disc brakes and in 1967, swivelling headlights that turned with the steering .

single hydraulic system activated the power steering , suspension and brakes ( fully powered and not power assisted ), the gear shift shift   ( with actuating pistons in the gearbox to shift the gears in the transmission which also operated an internal clutch automatically ( so no clutch pedal )   and  aerodynamic design  .    

Hydro pneumatic  relies on the combined  abilities of gas to compress and absorb force , while liquid does not and supplies direct transmission of force .

230px-Susp_hydrp.jpg

Blue: Nitrogen gas; Gold: Hydraulic fluid under pressure from engine-driven pump

This results in ;  the car maintains a constant ride height above the road, regardless of passenger and cargo load and despite the very soft suspension. Smooth and comfortable ride  and is often compared to riding on a magic carpet , or gliding . These vehicles shared the distinguishing feature of rising to operating ride height  when the engine was turned on, like a "mechanical camel" . A lever or switch beside the driver's seat allowed the driver to adjust the height of the car; this height adjustability allows for the clearing of obstacles, fording shallow (slow-moving) streams and changing tyres.

I have always wanted one ;   lift up the car for the long rough driveway out of the farm , medium height for the rough road to town, then lowest for the highway . 

The problem was ..... you need to live in France  , or have a local Citroen mechanic handy .

citroen-hydropneumatic-suspension-explai

• Like 1

if you had one of these in 56 you just plowed the road as needed with its big bumper ;-)  (Btw. lots of room in the trunks of such old tanks to hide people in for lower entry costs at drive in movies)

download.jpg.0f3774cd234b8db22f52ac00bd9b16c3.jpg

2 hours ago, old3bob said:

if you had one of these in 56 you just plowed the road as needed with its big bumper ;-)  (Btw. lots of room in the trunks of such old tanks to hide people in for lower entry costs at drive in movies)

download.jpg.0f3774cd234b8db22f52ac00bd9b16c3.jpg

I passed a mid 50's Belair on my way back from errands this morning.  White on Blue.  Absolute Perfection.

Love California for the myriad amazing classic cars still on the road.

• Like 1

Not sure of any numbers but drive in movies have had some comeback because of covid...

download.jpg.c0ac2062fbb6e06f75fa8e6ad5f74520.jpg

download.jpg.5943f7bb122f5cf9ed6f33207a0c93a4.jpg

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:07 PM, silent thunder said:

I passed a mid 50's Belair on my way back from errands this morning.  White on Blue.  Absolute Perfection.

Love California for the myriad amazing classic cars still on the road.

I once had an old 58 beater Plymouth (in southern Calif.) and remember how the rich guys in Porches and such would get out of the way when I had to make sudden turns with it since they had a lot more to loose. LOL.

Where I live now one sometimes sees old restored power wagons!  (besides and unlike modern 70k Cadillac like trucks)

download.jpg.5ef7f09402e8db585e55d2b4f273d5f5.jpg

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, old3bob said:

Not sure of any numbers but drive in movies have had some comeback because of covid...

download.jpg.c0ac2062fbb6e06f75fa8e6ad5f74520.jpg

download.jpg.5943f7bb122f5cf9ed6f33207a0c93a4.jpg

My father would take us ... always on the look out for cheap family entertainment .

I remember, as a 20+ youth  living at  ' Western Flat'  ( aka west and flat )  South Australia ... we got so GD bored that we would drive 200km to a drive in movie and 200km back after it .   It was a small screen in a paddock, privately run, only fitted about 30 cars. Occasionally a cow would wander in front of the screen and the cars would honk horns and flask headlights at it . The cow would stand thee  dumbly staring, with half the movie  projected on to it , until someone got out and chased it away  :)

Yaahoo ... we off to the drive in movies .... yay

3540.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Consolidated PBY Catalina

What a way to tour the Great Barrier Reef ;  flying view excellent , land anywhere  and you have instant houseboat accommodation ., 

3.jpg   flyingyacht37.jpeg

catalina1.jpg  97bca48b6d9d73456b08ee46e4d75436.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0rlv-3CJyR5amau0XGbA

The concept was popular for a time

even .....   wait for it  .....

Nuclear powered sea planes

1-UaDajC2X8A8racBA8yr11g-970x350.jpeg

The Air Force’s atom-plane test efforts involved a highly-modified B-36 bomber with a reactor in its stern bomb bay and a 12-ton lead-and-rubber capsule for the crew.  ...  a Pratt & Whitney liquid-metal-cooled reactor, a heat exchanger and some serious plumbing to run superheated (radioactive) air into special P&W gas turbines. The “hot” gas would replace gas heated by jet fuel once the big plane reached cruising altitude.  Four jet engines would get the seaplane airborne while two nuclear turbojets would take over during cruise.

• Like 1

What we thought robots of the future would look like

c0453882-800px-wm.jpg

( apparently it was important that one  head/ring/ antenna  was vertical and the other horizontal ,,, even though they circles  :)  )

The ideal companion

7bd9567c-7758-4314-bab8-11197ab6a96f_1.7

...  what they ended up looking like

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 1