Owledge

Great source for detailed diet health understanding | Fasting inherently entheogenic?

I've been binging on "Dr. Eric Berg DC" lately and it is an amazing source, and especially after repeated severe disappointments with the medical establishment, i.e. local GPs and such, that make me angry about having to pay health insurance for this deeply and widely flawed system.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3w193M5tYPJqF0Hi-7U-2g

Focus of that channel is on how keto / low-carb, sugar avoidance and intermittent or prolonged fasting can cure most of our typical civilizational ailments; is relatively close to the root of all human problems.

Did you know, for example, that heartburn is often an indicator of having weak stomach acid?

...I found that channel when recently my long binge-on-sugar and overeating phase came to an end when I lost all appetite and went into 4.5 days of fasting and lost 6 kg (likely all that water bound to glucose - losing tissue fluid alone made me look 10 years younger). That phase made me ponder whether fasting, triggering a kind of no-abundance situation and also being a state of lowered reliance on external material sustenance, might, through that, change our mindset because it brings us closer to a subtle, manageable state of existential challenge, basically whether fasting is inherently spiritual in the sense of entheogenic effects.

• Thanks 1

Before keto enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water.

After keto enlightenment: Chop wood, Kerrygold.

Dairy from the land of Ire

is all the rage.

Casein point:

grass fat.

Edited by Owledge
  • Thanks 1

Hey! i feel like I can offer a limited and unique perspective here! After initially "waking up" from cannibis use with a sacred, healing, seeking intention (albeit in a reckless unsupervised way) and going towards spiritual seeking after existensial crises in college at age 19/20 I went vegan. Idk if there is anything instrinsically helpful about vegetarian other than that it helped resolved cognitive dissonance and put me towards a path toward purification via attention to "truth". These things led to mild entheogenic insight on cannibis and gradualy waking up in day to day life. 

Fast forward a little bit: I read a book called the Gracie Diet which recommends eating no more than 3 meals a day with no snacking in between, avoiding all unhealthy foods religiously, and mixing only certain food groups together within a meal. Idk if it was grounded in reality or not but it made me less sleepy after eating, went from having 3-4 bowel movements a day to 1. I didnt notice any profound shift in consciousness that i could attribute to eating a rigid diet but those are the physical effects i observed.

Fast forward another year. I start undertaking austerities, culminating in eating 2 meals a day 5 hours apart consisting of 3 tiny bowls of oatmeal, Ensure, and no additional fluids. Thats technically intermittent fasting. I did this in combination with other "deprivations" of all sorts. The only benefit i discerned was that I pushed myself to new levels of suffering and strength and forbearance. I was also coerced into taking anti psychotics as I was in a psych ward (as a result of a past hospitalization + my wild and wacky austerities). Now i know you only asked about minimalism and fasting, and there may be something to be said for both. However, I didnt feel any "gains" from any of these austerities in and of themselves, it was just a test of faith/will i pursued. Somehow I managed to not feel weak during that time except when I started suffering from low blood pressure Id get dizziness.

To sum up, there may very well be benefit to moderation, intermittent fasting, and even well intentioned and wisely guided asceticisim. However, doing any of these things with the intention to gain access to exalted states of consciousness seems a bit misguided to me at best and a dangerous and slippery slope at worst. I hope you dwell in clairty and follow a middle way unless there is some strange and super compelling reason to go towards the extreme.. The extreme aint no fun