Sign in to follow this  
C T

Light of the Golden Sun - a Bon gift

These teachings, like Dzogchen and Zen, are too simple for most people to believe enough to just practice. Practice means repetition with no expectation of benefit. Daniel Brown's Dzogchen/Bon translations are a fine example, or anything by Dogen.

Most will needs detailed intricate practices, which are fine if that is what is needed. There is always hope that some will believe that the solution is much more simple. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, stirling said:

These teachings, like Dzogchen and Zen, are too simple for most people to believe enough to just practice.

This is echoed in Mahamudra with the Four Faults of Natural Awareness:

So close you can't see it

So deep you can't fathom it

So simple you can't believe it

So good you can't accept it

Taken from here: https://www.naturalawareness.net/mahamudra

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For people interested in or having a heart connection to Bön, this is another wonderful video.

It follows Khenpo Gelek Jinpa, currently Khenpo at Shenten Dargye Ling Bön center in France, as he explores the roots of Bön and the Zhangzhung kingdom in the Mustang district of Nepal. Khenpo-la gives regular teachings at Shenten Dargye Ling, often accessible online since the onset of the Covid pandemic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, stirling said:

These teachings, like Dzogchen and Zen, are too simple for most people to believe enough to just practice. Practice means repetition with no expectation of benefit. Daniel Brown's Dzogchen/Bon translations are a fine example, or anything by Dogen.

Most will needs detailed intricate practices, which are fine if that is what is needed. There is always hope that some will believe that the solution is much more simple. 

Simple, but not necessarily easy. One of my teachers used to be a bit bemused at modern Westerners who think we can accomplish in our spare time (some even in a weekend) what it took the old masters many years in isolated retreat, despite the stress and distraction of modern living. 

I think there is something in the modern Western mentality that thinks we can easily achieve whatever, but it generally tends to lead to a watering down of the practice and fruit (presuming folks even get the base correct, which in IME is trickier than supposed).

But I guess we'll find out--- the older generation of Western students should be about to go rainbow. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, stirling said:

These teachings, like Dzogchen and Zen, are too simple for most people to believe enough to just practice.

11 hours ago, rex said:

So close you can't see it

So deep you can't fathom it

So simple you can't believe it

So good you can't accept it

5 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

Simple, but not necessarily easy.

“The logic is simple. The problem is doing it. The amazing thing is that often there is such a lack of trust in openness.”

~ TWR

• Like 2

6 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

But I guess we'll find out--- the older generation of Western students should be about to go rainbow. :lol:

The last Jalus in a Bönpo was Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen in 1934. It’s exceedingly rare, even among the great yogis of the Himalayas. It is better to consider it a myth for most Westerners, I would say. I certainly don’t miss the DaoBums rainbow wars!

😴

27E3E644-C471-4B5F-8EC1-6879B7FE4799.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 30. 5. 2021 at 3:24 AM, steve said:

The last Jalus in a Bönpo was Shardza Tashi Gyaltsen in 1934. It’s exceedingly rare, even among the great yogis of the Himalayas. It is better to consider it a myth for most Westerners, I would say. I certainly don’t miss the DaoBums rainbow wars!

😴

27E3E644-C471-4B5F-8EC1-6879B7FE4799.jpeg

It is enough to be born gay/queer to have a rainbow body. :P 

But yes, unfortunately unless we really devote ourselves to intensive practice in retreat or are just really lucky with being with a teacher and living a very simple life, then it is really out of reach. Anyone who spends time on forums is for sure not a rainbow body level of a yogi. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sign in to follow this