hermes

Wandering pilgrim

I have always felt called by Daoism ever since reading the DDJ at an early age. Eventually that lead to me working in mainland China for a few years, during which time I visited many important Daoist (and Buddhist) sites including Longhu Shan, Mao Shan, and Hua Shan, though I never did make it to Baiyun Temple (well, I did visit *a* Baiyun in Lanzhou, but not *the* Baiyun in Beijing). I have also been blessed to visit many other holy places of various religious/ethnic affiliations around Asia. However, in my travels I have never really developed a proper practice. Understandably many practitioners there are reticent to bring in outsiders. I also found that in some spaces my presence was unwelcome or at least viewed as an anomaly, also understandably so. And of course in many religious sites in China these days tourism takes precedence over spiritual cultivation (after my first morning at Wudang Shan I barely had enough cash left over to buy lunch). Although I will always be grateful for the blessings I have had to make these pilgrimages, I wish more and more to focus on creating a rigorous practice.

Last Fall I had the misfortune of contracting Covid, and although I missed the more well-known flu-like symptoms, I experienced a catastrophic decline in energy and cognitive ability for about a month. My condition has thankfully improved, but I still deal with lingering symptoms including muscle soreness, fatigue, and “brain fog.” I saw another new user is also going though a similar “long-haul Covid” syndrome. For a few years now I have contemplated death as a spiritual practice. Many cultures around the world have some kind of death practice, but the West has largely abandoned its heritage of *memento mori*. Well, I’m glad I had that preparation because for a few days I really thought I might die. That sort of experience really changes your perspective and sense of priorities. After some recuperation I returned to work, but I made preparations to resign. Even before the pandemic it has been a taxing and toxic work environment, but at least it has provided me a more solid financial foundation to refocus on the things that really matter in life.

I hope to study under a true lineage holder sometime soon, maybe in the US but more likely in Asia, travel restrictions permitting of course. Naturally because of my condition I am properly surveying the various health/energetic practices for the first time (well, I do have a reiki initiation, so I’m not a *complete* newbie). But honestly, I’m a bit disappointed that it seems there is little in the way of “temple Daoism” in the US, at least in terms of what is widely advertised. Qigong and taiqiquan appear to be following a similar trajectory as yoga in that the physical exercises, and to a lesser extent the energetic work, receive most of the attention and other aspects like ethics, scriptural study, and deity devotions go almost completely unmentioned. I hate the idea of holistic spiritual systems getting stripped down for the sake of mass appeal or commercial viability. Hopefully some experienced folks here can chime in and tell me that there is actually a lot of activity going on behind the scenes for those that show the aptitude and commitment, as is almost surely the case in China, albeit for different reasons.

I look forward to cultivating with all of you. In addition to the above I have started reading the classics beyond the “big 3”. Right now I’m in the middle of the Taiping Jing, which to be honest is a bit of a slog, but I’ll share my thoughts on it in the appropriate forum when I finish. I’m also brushing up on my Chinese. Right now I’m learning the traditional forms for characters which I already know. I passed HSK 3 a few years back, and I’ve got my sights set on achieving an upper intermediate level of Mandarin. It would make sense to learn some Hokkien as well if I end up going to SE Asia/Taiwan, but the 8 tones and lack of polished study materials make it intimidating.

I agree to the pinned rules and look forward to learning and conversing.

• Like 1

Well hello hermes,

Thank you for agreeing to the pinned rules, and welcome to the bums. B)

warm regards,

ilu