Hey fellow bums

i posted here several months ago a bit prematurely it seems. I was transitioning from years of asceticism and trying times to gradually reintegrating back into the world. Now the shackles that the I Ching had put on me for years as an expedient means to cultivation have come off, my austerities I was doing (diet, hygiene, letting go of desires in general) seem to be over and done with. As nice as it is to live a normal life again with new eyes and appreciation, I don’t want to rest on my laurels and believe the time is right to seek a genuine teacher who can encourage and guide me on my path. The only prerequisites I’m looking for are someone who is sympathetic to the I Ching path as well as the bodhisattva aspiration. I have little to no experience with internal arts but I think I have progressed extensively through years of non doing, refining my thoughts, attitudes, and conduct, and attempting to devote my life to service. I’d be happy to hear from anyone, teacher or not, but ultimately I hope to be pointed toward expedient and optimal practice tailored to how I am. 

I hope to get feedback from you guys.

thank you,

-Elliot 🙏🏼

1. You need to strengthen yourself. Like a solid pillar of an ancient Egyptian temple which stands the true test of time.

Ask for teachers on this other forum:

https://rumsoakedfist.org/viewforum.php?f=4

For fighting take up Yoga lessons, to heal yourself take up a martial art. ;)

2. You need to eat breakfast like a king, the most important meal of the day and also when the digestive system peaks (7am to midday). Lunch before midday and eat frugally. No dinner i'm afraid. It messes up the whole organ-meridian system.

The Year of the Buffalo is great for this advice I'm giving you.

Good luck :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

While my body is gradually recovering from the asceticism, I'm sure learning the internal energetic arts and disciplines would be of great benefit and am open to doing that, but I want to speak to someone I can have a personal teacher-student/disciple relationship with. Thanks for the feedback Gerard :)

Indeed! But that forum will enable you to contact teachers in your area/country/etc.

I'm not an advocate of online learning. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

I see that makes sense. If the bums don't come through I will give that forum a look. And yes I agree that online learning isn't ideal, but am hoping to open the door through talk and video chat or even meeting up and then seeingwhat opens up from there. I live in NJ very close to NYC btw for anyone reading this and can provide my phone number if interested

Hello @TranquilTurmoil

I sympathize with your desire for a teacher and personal relationship. Please know that, with all the teachers, gurus and sages in the world, who will be able to guide you appropriately? The fact is that all spiritual information is incomplete. And the majority of it is even misguided. Or worse, malicious.

Where can you continue your cultivation, then? Build your foundation on normalcy and sobriety. It sounds like this is the place you are at now. Yaey!

If Tao is Zero (circle), you need to become One (a line) before you can enter the narrow gate. Spiritual strength is developed through cultivating gentleness and softness. In time, and with loads of patience, the strength of one's spirit will feel like jade!

Gathering the Mind

by Sun Buer

Before our body existed,
One energy was already there.
Like jade, more lustrous as it's polished,
Like gold, brighter as it's refined.
Sweep clear the ocean of birth and death,
Stay firm by the door of total mastery.
A particle at the point of open awareness,
The gentle firing is warm.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, rainbowvein said:

Hello @TranquilTurmoil

I sympathize with your desire for a teacher and personal relationship. Please know that, with all the teachers, gurus and sages in the world, who will be able to guide you appropriately? The fact is that all spiritual information is incomplete. And the majority of it is even misguided. Or worse, malicious.

Where can you continue your cultivation, then? Build your foundation on normalcy and sobriety. It sounds like this is the place you are at now. Yaey!

If Tao is Zero (circle), you need to become One (a line) before you can enter the narrow gate. Spiritual strength is developed through cultivating gentleness and softness. In time, and with loads of patience, the strength of one's spirit will feel like jade!

Gathering the Mind

by Sun Buer

Before our body existed,
One energy was already there.
Like jade, more lustrous as it's polished,
Like gold, brighter as it's refined.
Sweep clear the ocean of birth and death,
Stay firm by the door of total mastery.
A particle at the point of open awareness,
The gentle firing is warm.

That’s a beautiful poem! Thank you for the feedback. I’m finally arriving at normalcy and sobriety in my practice besides relying on divination and becoming restless for change and fulfillment. There lies my main hesitancy in seeking a teacher in that my ego could co opt it for its own purposes. However I don’t really have a spiritual practice/routine anymore as far as training goes and I kind of use a methodless method. I think that a teacher could help give me encouragement and the necessary kick in the arse to purge my bad habits and deepen my strength/devotion/connection to the world. 
im not too worried about aligning with a charlatan or malicious teacher because I run everything by the I Ching... and many wise students and teacher emphasize the importance of a teacher/spiritual friend in self cultivation. Regardless there is wisdom in your advice and I appreciate your response! 

• Like 1