euro

On feeling others energy and feelings

Hey everyone! I’ve been a long time lurker on these forums and have repeatedly looked for answers to certain questions I’ve had for a very long time and found few answers to. I was hoping to open the topic of experiencing and feeling *others* energy and emotions, because this is my biggest „problem” and something I often contend against. Perhaps it will be if assistance to others.

Maybe something that amplifies this is my being female, and noticing the forum is primarily male. I was not born with this ability however it came quickly, after about a year of regular practice.

As an adolescent, I felt these emotions very strongly. I would walk in to a room and feel any strong emotions there were. They were overwhelming and exhausting. When I made a personal connection with someone, I would feel their entire emotional state, especially males. For me, it is very easy to feel male *qi* and then emotions if I choose to delve deeper however in the beginning the qi came with the emotions, physically being present in my body and my havinng to „chase” it out. Male energy, in my experience, is much more penetrating and invasive, and predominantly has a burning quality, which has scared me before, for fear of it being evil qi (perhaps someone has experiences relating to the quality of male qi vs negative qi. Perhaps negative qi of that nature is more naturally yang).

When it comes to emotions of women, I’ll typically feel an emotion, more subtle and closer to my own, and it takes me time to notice small things about it that make me realize it is not my own. Perhaps this is the nature of women’s emotions or perhaps because I am a woman the energy is more similar to my own. Typically woman’s energy also is much much more subtle and harder to distinguish than my own, and is felt more as emotion.

I have been living with an elderly female family member, whose heart bleeds emotion (impatience and turmoil) after surviving a life time of strife and hardship, and never having dealt with these emotions. Around her, especially in the mornings if I have not had a chance to ground myself with physical exercise/meditation/prayer, I find myself very impatient and irritated, although these are not my emotions (and she truly makes every effort to disguise them). Recently, I’ve realized the only way to protect myself from these emotions is to fill the heart center with love, perhaps causing the vessel to be filled with a higher feeling and not allowing anything external to enter. I’ve also found „living out of” my dantien to help protect me from others emotions before I realized this, by allowing them all to pass me through. Primarily, unless I focus on this, I live out of my heart center.

These are my experiences. If anyone would like to share their own in the name of self growth, it would be appreciated. I hope perhaps my experiences will help another on their path. Blessings :)

PS. Also, I’ve noticed after many years of meditation I can simply sit around and completely experience the world without thinking ;) makes me a worse conversationalist ;) Anyone else?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome euro!

You've jumped right in with a great post about a huge topic!

For starters, I'm curious what you practiced to develop this ability, as you wrote  "I was not born with this ability however it came quickly, after about a year of regular practice."

For myself, my family never talked about feelings/emotions, and for various reasons we learned (by example) not to notice or respond to most of them.  It's been a long time learning to recognize them consciously in others, even though I clearly respond to them unconsciously. The biggest thing for me is in allowing (like I have a choice, lol) people to just be where they are and letting their emotions just pass though me like wind, no judgement. Obviously, not always easy, but helps to just recognize where they are, what they're feeling, and let that just be ok.  I think getting older has made that easier.

I understand your body takes them on way more than mine ever has, and that's tough for sure.

Several years back I received coaching in a somatic practice called zapchen.  My zapchen coach, Laura Lund, told me that I my energetic tendency was to be very "diffuse": my energy was always extending out from my body in an effort to check up on others.  There´s nothing wrong, I think, with having diffuse energy but it´s nice to have a choice, to be able to be diffuse when that seems appropriate and more concentrated inside myself at other times.  

In order to gain more facility gathering my energy in, Laura gave me the exercise of humming the syllable "AH" into my spine.  I just softly make that sound, over and over again, internally directing the sound into my spine.  

• Like 2

Let me give it to you straight.  What you are describing is a hallucination.  Its a doorway to mental illness.  The feelings you feel are your subconscious reaction to outside stimulus.  Your brain isnt wired properly, and you have started to disassociate your own feelings and placing them on others.  There is no web of energy emanating from living beings.  There is no network to access other beings energy.  You cannot read minds, or emotions, and the thoughts and feelings you have belong only to you.  Dont be fooled by new age hocus pocus, all of that is a lie.  

3 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

Let me give it to you straight.  What you are describing is a hallucination.  Its a doorway to mental illness.  The feelings you feel are your subconscious reaction to outside stimulus.  Your brain isnt wired properly, and you have started to disassociate your own feelings and placing them on others.

I can clearly see that occurring  ..... ' somewhere '

B)

There is no web of energy emanating from living beings.  There is no network to access other beings energy.  You cannot read minds, or emotions, and the thoughts and feelings you have belong only to you.  Dont be fooled by new age hocus pocus, all of that is a lie.  

:D 

There is even a formula  to calculate it ;

image.png.14811ef203c2451c9db666612e46c2f5.png

or if you prefer a simpler way of looking at it ; (using a network that does access and measure another beings energy)  the total energy radiated in one day is about 80   MJ .

[ The megajoule (MJ) is equal to one million (106) joules, or approximately the kinetic energy of a one megagram (tonne) vehicle moving at 161 km/h (100 mph). ]

284px-Human-Infrared.jpg

Its a combination of THREE DIFFERENT TYPES OF ENERGY WE RADIATE .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-body_radiation

Oh yeah , there is also this thing called 'empathy '  ; 

empathy
/ˈɛmpəθi
noun
noun: empathy
  1. the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

" Contemporary researchers often differentiate between two types of empathy: “Affective empathy” refers to the sensations and feelings we get in response to others’ emotions; this can include mirroring what that person is feeling, or just feeling stressed when we detect another’s fear or anxiety. “Cognitive empathy,” sometimes called “perspective taking,” refers to our ability to identify and understand other people’s emotions. Studies suggest that people with autism spectrum disorders have a hard time empathizing."

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/empathy/definition

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

Let me give it to you straight.  What you are describing is a hallucination.  Its a doorway to mental illness.  The feelings you feel are your subconscious reaction to outside stimulus.  Your brain isnt wired properly, and you have started to disassociate your own feelings and placing them on others.  There is no web of energy emanating from living beings.  There is no network to access other beings energy.  You cannot read minds, or emotions, and the thoughts and feelings you have belong only to you.  Dont be fooled by new age hocus pocus, all of that is a lie.  

So certain are you! The human energy field has been measured, but since you are so certain, I won’t bother to provide links. 

BTW, there are several personal attacks in your post!

• Like 2

After the stuff you have posted here , why would anyone  'trust' you .   And particulalry why would anyone trust you to 'look at it your way '  especially when you have clearly outlined the huge mess you have got yourself into FROM looking at things your way ?

:huh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I used to consider myself an empath, that I could feel what others feel, that I could pick up their thoughts and that there was an energy web around us.  Since going insane, I realize all of that was a delusion.  My new mindset is more lonely, I don't feel as involved with my surroundings and people in my life, and it's not magical, but it's sane, and that is better than magic to me.

On 2021-12-03 at 10:51 PM, helpfuldemon said:

There is no web of energy emanating from living beings.  There is no network to access other beings energy.  You cannot read minds, or emotions, and the thoughts and feelings you have belong only to you. 

Interpersonal regulation is a scientific field of study. 

20 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

Yeah I used to consider myself an empath, that I could feel what others feel, that I could pick up their thoughts and that there was an energy web around us.  Since going insane, I realize all of that was a delusion.  My new mindset is more lonely, I don't feel as involved with my surroundings and people in my life, and it's not magical, but it's sane, and that is better than magic to me.

:unsure:

Did you mean  ' since getting better , I realize all of that was a delusion '    ?

On 12/3/2021 at 1:51 PM, helpfuldemon said:

There is no web of energy emanating from living beings.  There is no network to access other beings energy.  You cannot read minds, or emotions, and the thoughts and feelings you have belong only to you.   

A Parable

A person is born and he's more or less OK.  But then, through some fateful accident of life or genetics, he goes what some people might call "crazy.".  He starts to perceive energy emanating from other living beings.  He begins to lose his boundaries and thinks that he can read other people's thoughts or that other people can read his.  This way of thinking makes him very unhappy (but drugs help).  

He gets better and becomes what some people might call "a productive member of society."  But he's still not happy.  So he starts hanging out with spiritual types and joining fringe Taoist forums.  He takes up meditation.  Soon he begins to perceive energy emanating from other beings.  He comes to recognize how wondrously interconnected we are and how this interconnectivity can lead us to commune with each others thoughts, feelings, spirits.  This way of thinking makes him very happy.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just came across this quotation from John O’Donohue that seems related and worthwhile -

Each one of us is alone in the world. It takes great courage to meet the full force of your aloneness. Most of the activity in society is subconsciously designed to quell the voice crying in the wilderness within you. The mystic Thomas a Kempis said that when you go out into the world, you return having lost some of yourself. Until you learn to inhabit your aloneness, the lonely distraction and noise of society will seduce you into false belonging, with which you will only become empty and weary. When you face your aloneness, something begins to happen. Gradually, the sense of bleakness changes into a sense of true belonging. This is a slow and open-ended transition but it is utterly vital in order to come into rhythm with your own individuality. In a sense this is the endless task of finding your true home within your life. It is not narcissistic, for as soon as you rest in the house of your own heart, doors and windows begin to open outwards to the world. No longer on the run from your aloneness, your connections with others become real and creative. You no longer need to covertly scrape affirmation from others or from projects outside yourself. This is slow work; it takes years to bring your mind home.

JOHN O'DONOHUE

Excerpt from the book, Eternal Echoes
Ordering Info: https://johnodonohue.com/store

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think the pain of the awareness that we are essentially alone ever goes away, it is just masked by chosen purpose.  It sounds like the author returns to togetherness after his realization that he is alone, so essentially nothing has changed, he still finds himself among the company of others.  What he seems to be talking about is seeking affirmation from others, not being alone.  One need not seek affirmation to be together with people.  We are still alone in our feelings and thoughts, until we share them, which is what the OP was saying; that they share on an empathic level what other people feel.  This is possible through communication, but it is still only your own feelings that you feel, you don't feel the feelings of others from them, you feel them because you identify your own experiences with the situation that caused the individual to feel those things.  It is a mental illness to think otherwise.  Imagine sitting on public transportation and feeling all the thoughts and emotions of the other passengers.