Toni

Are negative emotions the cause of sickness?

I read somewhere else that according to TCM negative emotions are generally the reason why the body gets sick. What is your view on that point?

I have always wondered why a previously healthy body then can develop something like a cancer or whatever other sickness without apparent reason. I think it is a very important question that science should address, as it could prevent a lot of suffering.

Edited by Toni

1 hour ago, Toni said:

I think it is a very important question that science should address, 

Science is adressing that question, from various angles. 

7 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Yes, it is true, but it is still something quite minority, that don't go to the general public

2 hours ago, Toni said:

I read somewhere else that according to TCM negative emotions are generally the reason why the body gets sick. 

Negative emotions correllate to physiological states where regenerative functions are downplayed because the mind prioritizes preparance for another kind of action. 

The result is, among other things, dysregulation in autonomic functions and malfunction in the immune system. 

13 minutes ago, Toni said:

Yes, it is true, but it is still something quite minority, that don't go to the general public

Do you think people want to know? 

There are so many things about stress and diet that are general knowledge, but knowing and changeing ones habits are not the same. 

Many people care about their diet, at least in Europe, bc they know its importance for health. Very few care about emotions bc they don't understand its effects

1 hour ago, Cleansox said:

Yes, recently I was reading recent research that impacting emotions from childhood, including negative ones like fear, being ignored, etc Remain in the bodily 'structure' and especially the gut flora into adulthood. 

So problem with "negative emotions" lies not in your immediate neighbours disturbance but rather emotions become a habit. Rather than actions which are the building blocks of the external world, emotions and thought patterns become the building blocks on the internal world - they mould your personality and arguably even "karma". 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toni said:

Many people care about their diet, at least in Europe, bc they know its importance for health. Very few care about emotions bc they don't understand its effects

At a population level, we are fatter than ever. Despite everyone knows that it is harmful. ☹️

2 hours ago, Jaba said:

Yes, recently I was reading recent research that impacting emotions from childhood, including negative ones like fear, being ignored, etc Remain in the bodily 'structure' and especially the gut flora into adulthood. 

And create vulnerability for disease as adults. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

And create vulnerability for disease as adults. 

It is important then to focus on improving our emotions and our thoughts

Yes, mental health issues are on the rise, and that correllates with lower quality of life, more somatic diseasey, and shorter life expectancy. 

7 hours ago, Toni said:

I read somewhere else that according to TCM negative emotions are generally the reason why the body gets sick. What is your view on that point?

It seems to me that illness and negative emotions are symptoms of imbalance, whereas physical and mental health are a sign of greater imbalance. I wouldn't say that negative emotions cause illness--- that is likely due to a number of causes, such as poor nutrition, air quality, lack of sleep, the presence of viruses, brain chemistry etc. But certainly negative emotions will make one more susceptible to these things. 

The problem is, you cannot just alter your emotions like you can your diet. It takes a lot of disciplined work over a long period of time in connection with a proper source of teachings. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Toni said:

I read somewhere else that according to TCM negative emotions are generally the reason why the body gets sick.

You read, better experience it so you know then what exactly is going on.

OK here we go:

1. Diet. No. 1 reason

2. Lifestyle. 2nd biggest reason

3. Disharmony between Yin & Yang. Too much of either will make you sick. Linked to reason no. 2

4. Disharmony between the 5 Forces/ Elements

5. Jing depletion > weak Qi = sickness. Ageing is a result of this. Unavoidable as we all physically die at one point.

6. Emotions including mental factors (lust, anger, hatred, resentment...)

7. Feng Shui. Living in the wrong geographical location will shorten your lifespan. Enter your details for a basic free Ba Zi/Four Pillars of Destiny consultation which will tell you about it:

https://www.geomancy.net/content/products-services/ba-zi-analysis/about-ba-zi/free-ba-zi

You can get away with some of the unfavourable directions if you happen to live in one of them but not with the Death & Disaster zones. Move away/migrate immediately.

Cancer linked to either excess Yang /heat and or excessive dampness.

Note: I forgot to add: EXCESSIVE THINKING and BROODING. Too much mental activity which is associated with the Wood force weakens the Spleen/Earth force (digestive system and production of the vital force) and a weak Spleen in turn brings imbalance to all of the internal organs.

If you want to live a long and healthy life strengthen/regulate the Earth.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

On 14/05/2021 at 5:56 PM, Toni said:

1. have always wondered why a previously healthy body then can develop something like a cancer or whatever other sickness without apparent reason. 2. I think it is a very important question that TAOIST science should address, as it could prevent a lot of suffering.

1. What's lying deep beneath and can manifest anytime usually triggered by the energy of the particular animal ruling a year; eg. this year's Metal Buffalo in relation to your own energetic make-up (Ba Zi) is not visible on the outside (physical appearance) since it operates like an embryo (Buddhism talks about the seeds of karma).

2. It already did, 2,600 BCE.

FYI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huangdi_Neijing

YOU ARE THE CAUSE OF YOUR OWN SUFFERING.

Note: I didn't read the entire opening post, so here's my insight! :)

Edited by Gerard

On 5/14/2021 at 3:56 PM, Toni said:

Hi Toni,

What is TCM?

Is it rooted in the philosophy of Taoism?

To perceive TCM better ~ we must understand its philosophy better?

On 5/15/2021 at 8:47 AM, Gerard said:

If you want to live a long and healthy life strengthen/regulate the Earth.

Hi Gerard,

Strengthen/regulate this...?

9cee8f290f7d3d6e0afeebf064ed9217.gif

- Anand

10 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Toni,

What is TCM?

Is it rooted in the philosophy of Taoism?

To perceive TCM better ~ we must understand its philosophy better?

Hi Gerard,

9cee8f290f7d3d6e0afeebf064ed9217.gif

- Anand

Hey

And what is taoism?

Do we know what is this philosophy called daoism?

6 minutes ago, Toni said:

Hey

And what is taoism?

Good  '?'s

In the Bön tradition, negative emotions are considered a major cause of illness and the 3 root poisons are the cause of negative emotions. 

• Like 1

Hi Gerard,

No. The Earth as the Earth force in your 5 Force/Element energetics which we all beings have. It corresponds to the digestive and processing system of the human body (Stomach-Yang & Spleen-Yin).

This is a Taoist forum OP. I think you should go get help elsewhere if you are seeking different answers. 

Lurking in forums isn't going to help at all.

19 minutes ago, steve said:

In the Bön tradition, negative emotions are considered a major cause of illness and the 3 root poisons are the cause of negative emotions.

Hi steve,

What are the 3?

Are they more rooted in the yin dimension of Taoism?

- Anand

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

The Earth as the Earth force in your 5 Force/Element energetics which we all beings have.

th?id=OIP.Hb4OrVXTKfTRyzQN9G3BYwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=182&h=161

Yes/no?

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement

8 hours ago, Toni said:

Hey

And what is taoism?

Well, during the last few millennia, groups of people loosely speaking about the Dao have published a severe amount of books and images containing philosophical and practical guides for posterity. 

A small amount of that is translated into european languages, and some of the basic elements, like yin and yang, do seem to have made it into a vague common knowledge in western societies as well. 

14 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi steve,

What are the 3?

- Anand

Aversion, attachment, and ignorance are the 3 root poisons in Bön.

I’m not one to mix paradigms so much, not do I find much value in categorizing things as yin or yang in a static way so I’ll pass on addressing the second question.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Limahong said:

Interesting question. Per some Taoist teachings, yin and yang emerge as a result of fundamental imbalance--- similarly with Buddhism. 

2 hours ago, steve said:

Aversion, attachment, and ignorance are the 3 root poisons in Bön.

Human-made systems and nature-made systems don't seem to be on the same page though.  

In nature, aversion is a built-in survival mechanism that works even on the level of unicellular organisms.  Aversion to noxious stimuli is observed, e.g., in amoebae -- if you put a bunch of them in a dish with clean water, they will swim all over it minding their business, but if you add a drop of ink to one side of the dish, they will start swimming frantically to the other side, and as the ink expands and spreads, they will all crowd to the last remaining area of clear water.  And when that's gone, they will die.  In humans, aversion is built into our physiology in many ways that bypass our conscious mind and rely on our conscious body to make decisions about what to accept and what to reject -- e.g. the vomiting reflex (primarily to expel ingested or endogenic poison, and in the case of a horrible scene, emotional and mental poison), spontaneous abortion of a compromised non-viable fetus, and so on.    

Attachment is a built-in mechanism of caring for the young in all species whose young are born dependent on parents.  Sharks and reptiles don't have attachments because their young are born ready to survive on their own.  Birds and all mammals do because it is imprinted in them toward survival of the individual and the species.  In humans, likewise, attachment is secured by our physiology, in the form of, e.g., 'love hormones' -- oxytocin (which healthy women and healthy men close to them release in response to the presence of their baby), pheromones (in species reproducing sexually, they help target the most compatible candidates) and so on.   

Ignorance is in the eye of the beholder.  :) 

I believe repressed emotions are the root of sickness -- but not just negative.  Repressed positive emotions can do as much damage, if not more.  Love is healthy.  Early deprivation of love is deadly.  Institutionalized abandoned infants tend to not survive past 6 months of age if they are adequately cared for in terms of food, physically adequate accommodations and hygiene but aren't held, caressed and interacted with in an attached, loving way.  Beyond this extreme, a plethora of deficient positive emotions born of love deprivation early in life sets the stage for a lifetime of health impairment, emotional, mental and, yes, physical too.  It's all connected.      

• Like 5