dontknwmucboutanythng

Looking for tips on reducing pride/ego.

1 hour ago, silent thunder said:

There are no static things, at least I've never perceived one.  

While innocently curmudgeoning through my morning, I read your post and am reminded once again (as I often am when reading your posts, st) of the fluid nature of reality.  English has it´s limitations but there´s much we can do to avoid undue reification.  We can, for instance, strike the word "antivaccer" from our vocabulary.  This word takes an intellectual point of view and converts it, needlessly, erroneously, into a static identity.  There is no such thing as an antivaccer and no such thing as a vaccer either.  There are just people stumbling through life the best they know how.

petpeeving out,

Luke

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, liminal_luke said:

While innocently curmudgeoning through my morning, I read your post and am reminded once again (as I often am when reading your posts, st) of the fluid nature of reality.  English has it´s limitations but there´s much we can do to avoid undue reification.  We can, for instance, strike the word "antivaccer" from our vocabulary.  This word takes an intellectual point of view and converts it, needlessly, erroneously, into a static identity.  There is no such thing as an antivaccer and no such thing as a vaccer either.  There are just people stumbling through life the best they know how.

petpeeving out,

Luke

Apologies for the laughter, but I find both your curmudgeoning and petpeeving rather delightful on this breezy afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Yes English, with its built in premise of nouns that cause verbs has been problematic for me since middle school.  How utterly absurd it is, this notion that a static thing, could somehow be the cause of a process.

Hi Creighton,

I was an English problematic child since primary school...

th?id=OIP.DiqbUkiDJM14e3sJARk1PgHaGA&pid=Api&P=0&w=205&h=167

2 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

English has it´s limitations but there´s much we can do to avoid undue reification.  We can, for instance, strike the word "antivaccer" from our vocabulary.  This word takes an intellectual point of view and converts it, needlessly, erroneously, into a static identity.

Hi Jesse,

Your posting has caused me some mental paralysis...but not linked to blood clot

I thought "antivaccer" is synonymous  with "antivaccination" as with...

Egoistic <=> egocentric, bombastic, narcissistic... (and static?)

1 hour ago, ilumairen said:

Apologies for the laughter, but I find both your curmudgeoning and petpeeving rather delightful on this breezy afternoon.

Hi ilumairen,

It is no laughing matter

I will go for my vaccination tomorrow

As I am going on vacation...

Everyone ~ keep well and safe

- Anand

7 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi ilumairen,

It is no laughing matter

I will go for my vaccination tomorrow

As I am going on vacation...

And I will not be. In this, my personal stance is a hard pass on vaccination.

Enjoy your vacation.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Your posting has caused me some mental paralysis...but not linked to blood clot

Bums react in various ways to my posts but, to my knowledge, my ramblings have yet to induce a blood clot. Rarely, people have reported headaches from overly enthusiastic face palming. Still, I disavow responsibility because, say it with me now, correlation is not causation.  Call me biased but I consider my writings to have an acceptable side effect profile.  Let us hope I can keep my thrombosis-free streak going! 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 2

Let us hope I can keep my thrombosis-free streak going! 

thrombosis ~ synonymous with thrombone?

Socially distancing ~ of course.

Egoists like trumpets?

trumpet-player-blowing-horn-stock-illustration__x75034179.jpg

Edited by Limahong
Correction
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Bums react in various ways to my posts but, to my knowledge, my ramblings have yet to induce a blood clot. Rarely, people have reported headaches from overly enthusiastic face palming. Still, I disavow responsibility because, say it with me now, correlation is not causation.  Call me biased but I consider my writings to have an acceptable side effect profile.  Let us hope I can keep my thrombosis-free streak going! 

I can attest to that which I bolded. Or is affirm? 

Either way it uncrosses my eyes, and results in a chuckle or two.

And occasion the rare guffaw ; )

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

In this, my personal stance is a hard pass on vaccination.

I have changed my mind ~ I am not going on vaccination.

I will enrol for some music classes instead...

183326.jpg

thrombosis

thrombone (x76)

Edited by Limahong
Correction

On 5/1/2021 at 9:16 AM, dontknwmucboutanythng said:

After a couple of years of meditation/introspection I thought I made a bit of progress on pride/ego.  But a few recent next to nothing incidents proved I was wrong, perhaps even regressed. So any tips on training to reduce pride/ego would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

My perspective on this would be to look for the source of the discomfort.  It's in a memory from way back.  You have been imprinted in a certain way, and sometimes these imprints need to be reversed.   And for anyone who wonders why the ego must be contended with at all - it doesn't have to be, unless you want clarity.  If clarity is what is wanted, then these buttons which force ego to raise its head must be eliminated.

If the ego is inflamed, there is something inside screaming for removal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen a  thrombosis-free streak   for years   

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkB0zO01XyFRvimilJG_h

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

thrombosis ~ synonymous with thrombone?

Socially distancing ~ of course.

Egoists like trumpets?

trumpet-player-blowing-horn-stock-illustration__x75034179.jpg

Thats a trombone    not  thrombone  .

thrombone is a bad pain in the    .......     well,      you will know when it happens  ..

• Haha 1

Thank you Nun

Corrections amended.

15 minutes ago, Nungali said:

thrombone is a bad pain in the    .......     well,      you will know when it happens  ..

Thrombone pain throbs...

4928747bcffc3a77ce49d8cc81801e6a.gif

Egoless?

- Anand

4 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

The opposite to pride is humility. Practice humility to reduce pride.

Realizing we are all One helps this too.  It's hard to be arrogant when you realize they are the same creature as you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, manitou said:

It's hard to be arrogant when you realize they are the same creature as you.

Hi Barbara,

What if my arrogance is rooted in ignorance?

th?id=OIP.DN7CQ2O5Dw8yZqOghw9HeQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300 th?id=OIP.5RR1uZt7KOI9scoL33Kk1wHaEo&pid=Api&P=0&w=290&h=182

40 minutes ago, manitou said:

Realizing we are all One helps this too.

Arrogance and ignorance ~ One?

- Anand

On 5/1/2021 at 9:46 PM, dontknwmucboutanythng said:

After a couple of years of meditation/introspection I thought I made a bit of progress on pride/ego.  But a few recent next to nothing incidents proved I was wrong, perhaps even regressed. So any tips on training to reduce pride/ego would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

The ego manifests as negativity, emotivity, compulsiveness and reactivity and these are often toxic to relationships.

Present moment awareness or mindfulness/witnessing can help create a space between yourself and your mind/ego, and can prevent one from slipping to the reactive mode.

Practicing patience by holding back in volatile situations can also help. You can count to ten to defuse the volatility within to calm centredness again.

'When you are in a great hurry to do something, just hold back a few seconds, that's all it takes to shift from compulsiveness to consciousness.' ~ Sadhguru

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent post IMO, AjayO.  The practicing patience thing is invaluable.

I've had some success in diminishing the ego that gets in my way.  I had to do it to stay sober.  The way I go about it, is that every time I feel upset about something, or angry at someone, etc - I realize that that's my ego that's been jostled.  I've done this for so long now that it's automatic.  I look for the thing inside me that it's rubbing up against.  Fear of failure?  Fear of another person?  Fear of lack?  It's always a fear, and oftentimes there is a memory that accompanies it.  If the childhood memory can be seen and understood, then the awareness of that tendency will diminish the ego bit by bit.  Awareness alone will do it, if you are ernest about diminishing ego.

The reason ego needs to be diminished is because it colors all of our thoughts, our attitudes.  To achieve the kind of clarity that most folks on this forum are seeking, this must first be dealt with.  It's part of the necessary elimination process.

• Like 3