Sign in to follow this  
old3bob

meanings related to Lord Shiva

https://vedicfeed.com/meaning-behind-symbols-of-lord-shiva/

(copied from link)

"Lord Shiva, Mahadeva is perhaps the most complex of Hindu deity. He is the Auspicious one (Shiva), The terrific one (Rudra), Lord of the Dance (Nataraja), Lord of the universe (Vishwanatha), He is the Destroyer and the Transformer. He is limitless, transcendent, unchanging, formless and also the one without beginning or without end.

SHIVA” means the auspicious one. It is humanly impossible to explain Shiva, just as it is impossible to explain the universe yet let’s make an attempt.

From simple human intellect, he is the one from whom the Brahman emerges, in whom it stays and within whom it goes back.

Here Brahmman is not mere the Universe but is the one who is the base and cause of the universe. Brahmman holds the universe. Lord Shiva is reasons of all causes. He must not be seen as a Human-God. That’s a wrong notion. Scriptures call him the Nirgun Brahman and the Sagun Brahmman

Shiva exists in 3 states

1. Nirgun: In this state he is formless, and the whole universe and creation lie in the pervasiveness of Shiva.
  2. Saguna: In the Saguna state Shiva is the entire universe and his “ansh” is present in the tree, the insect, the animal, male, female and the whole creation. In this state, though all forms arise out of him yet, no form can describe him.
  3. Nirgun-Sagun: In the Nirgun-Sagun state Shiva is worshipped as the Shivalingam. The word Shivalingam has been derived from Sanskrit roots Shiva (Lord) + Lingam (Mark/Chinha/Symbol). Hence, Shivalingam is the mark of the lord within its creation. Everything in the world arises out of a dome/a ball/ a Pindi. Be it a tree which comes from a seed which is round, a child which comes from a cell which is round, all heavenly bodies are round, the minutes of cells are round and our very earth is round. Everything being round is a mark of the Lord/Shiva. Since Shiva can’t be comprehended, we worship his mark or we worship the whole Brahmman in a Shivalingam..."
Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

I have meditated for many years using the Om Namah Shivaya mantra.

I will only say that Shiva in my experience is another name for the Abrahamic God and the repetition of that most powerful mantra leads to liberation in a unfailing, expeditious way, and to the clear perception of the presence of Shiva in the Sadhaka.

Eduardo, it is far different per the scriptures of Hinduism. Below is an excerpt trying to explain that.  Btw. I also believe that most Saivites in their final analysis see Brahman and Shiva as one besides there being manifest properties in form, including transcendental form as depicted in drawings and accounts of Lord Shiva.

"Brahman is not "God"

Brahman, as understood by the scriptures of Hinduism, as well as by the 'acharyas' of the Vedanta school, (and I add Saivite schools) is a very specific conception of the Absolute. This unique conception has not been replicated by any other religion on earth and is exclusive to Hinduism. Thus to even call this conception of Brahman "God" is, in a sense, somewhat imprecise. This is the case because Brahman does not refer to the anthropomorphic concept of God of the Abrahamic religions. When we speak of Brahman, we are referring neither to the "old man in the sky" concept nor to the idea of the Absolute as even capable of being vengeful, fearful or engaging in choosing a favorite people from among His creatures. For that matter, Brahman is not a "He" at all, but rather transcends all empirically discernable categories, limitations, and dualities."

from:   https://www.learnreligions.com/brahman-of-the-vedas-1770045

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this