Sign in to follow this  
Zorro Dantes

Intellect vs Wisdom

In honor of  Madam Manitou's awesome idea for a thread(my apologies for the crude humor by the way, Hardcore drugs impacted my life by way of parents, guardians, and peers...That being said,  despite being able to navigate and survive such false natures and narratives...I don't feel that defines me)SO let's cut to brass taxes Everybody...  Intellect vs wisdom do you guys think the United States appreciates either for business? Survival? Overall wellbeing?

Personally, I feel like all you have to do to excel in a lot of this is by being slightly more efficient than your peers and appear like your not crapping your pants in presence of challenge, and boom the world is your oyster!  you guys think so?

• Like 1

Intellect is reading the recipe carefully, getting the idea of what the ingredients are, memorizing the process and imagining the outcome.

Wisdom is knowing what it is to make the recipe, knowing that it mistakenly suggests keeping something in the oven for far too long, knowing that you need salted butter despite the instruction, and knowing ultimately what the golden, flaky crust of the outcome is REALLY like and why it is worth the effort. What is the world like when this story is followed to its conclusion? Can it ever be forgotten? No. This is wisdom.

-

In Buddhism there are six senses, one more in addition to our standard 5 - the 6th being mind, or thought. Thought creates another input to our senses based on its interpretation the other senses, but it is no more exalted than the others, and in fact must be watched carefully. We often mistake the story mind tells us about sense-information for who or what we are, and its conclusions about reality AS reality. The mind, the intellect, is NOT a process for seeing reality as it is - it is a way to divide reality into sections and imagine how these illusory separate bodies interact. 

There ARE no divisions in infinity. Buddhisms chief perspective on this is Dependent Origination. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratītyasamutpāda

Try this: What exists that is not dependent on something else for its existence?

Further reading:

https://www.lionsroar.com/the-fullness-of-emptiness/

Edited by stirling
  • Thanks 1

I agree Stirling, but not totally... you're suggesting the core of the united states are individuals with a firm grasp of said concepts...hmm 

4 hours ago, Zorro Dantes said:

Personally, I feel like all you have to do to excel in a lot of this is by being slightly more efficient than your peers and appear like your not crapping your pants in presence of challenge, and boom the world is your oyster!  you guys think so?

Usually from what it seems, the bar is set even lower than this; just half-assed silver tongue maneuvers based on subconscious incompetency(greed, jealousy, hatred, general one-up-manship, etc). Keep in mind this is not How I conduct myself...not my culture and heritage...I ain't no fortunate son. I do believe for the most part that some fortunate sons do act out this way somewhat; and that its predatory based human behavior self-perceived notions of possessing a high intellect,  except its Fredo Corleone style. This could be uniquely American circumstances on being SMAT and non too wise, too though... 

Edited by Zorro Dantes
Good lord...my spelling

I misunderstood your question, figuring it was related to the other topic, but I will still say that in business, CONVENTIONAL wisdom (i,e. experience) is valued primarily. I have heard any number of directors and VPs at various Fortune 50 companies that they don't like to have to train new MBA's, or people who haven't worked at their level yet to do their jobs. 

It takes intellect to develop wisdom, but with a small "w" and a large one, but it is secondary.

For survival or well-being? I want the person who has personal experience, and repeatable success... the guy who knows how to improvise based on experience. Do you want Bear Grylls or the guy who memorized all of his books?

-

From the perspective of my original point, ultimately Prajna Paramita (or alignment with the Dao if you prefer, being the same) is ideal preparation for ALL situations ALWAYS trumping intellect.

Edited by stirling
  • Thanks 1

I have heard those seeking an MBA are rarely as qualified as some one with out a MBA but with practicable experience.

Validating at least in part :

9 hours ago, stirling said:

I have heard any number of directors and VPs at various Fortune 50 companies that they don't like to have to train new MBA's, or people who haven't worked at their level yet to do their jobs. 

It takes intellect to develop wisdom, but with a small "w" and a large one, but it is secondary.

-

• Like 1

Yes, you guys got the ball rolling, that's essentially what I was getting at. Sure you could have super predatory intellect...but if your just an ankle-biting pup whose sneakiness is quite transparent, I think it's a self-sabotaging approach...but again this is just me and my dealings with people on the ground level in the U.S... 

On 3/23/2021 at 8:53 PM, Mithras said:

intellect sticks, wisdom dissolves itself

I don't know,  sounds solid at first, but that's just as brazen, and absurd as "how stupid you are is a reflection of how smart you can become."  on that, you can trust me. I would say Intellect is augmented based on the development of wisdom and that wisdom is the intellect that survives the liquidation of unnecessary thinking. A drug lord who wants supremacy in life won't set foot ground-level operations ...just as his henchmen to whom he/she is sharing his/her compassion, aren't going to threaten or try to make jokes behind the back of their Boss.  Sure we could do that because maybe we are "smarter" with better education and whatnot, but is that wise?

Edited by Zorro Dantes

Keep in mind people, I come from something of a henchmen's walk of life, therefore there are certain bitch quality-based thought patterns at play, what trying to line my way of thinking with that of my superiors most of the time lol

On 3/30/2021 at 1:05 PM, natural said:

Trumpism. Self defined /  Self proclaimed...

An outlier to both either ? 

ah yes, most certainly a group comprised of  bimbo quality thinking for sure...big ditto they won't ever admit that. I on the other hand am quite open to the fact that I'm a truth seeker. thus always keen and enthusiastic to getting schooled, especially by other truth-seekers....forgive my weirdo analogies though

To answer that question...I don't think they place a lot of value on Wisdom or smarts...they act like terms of moderate thinking are outrageous and unreasonable requests... nor are they people that have been factually slaughtered back to the stone age. I would say their way of life comes with quite a few holes, to say the least...

"My way of life is choosing how  I Iive to die! And if you don't believe in the same thing as me I'll Kill You!"  Not a very compelling worldview to put mildly.

Edited by Zorro Dantes

Pardon the bizarre humor, in hindsight, it should go without saying the Biden people are also guilty of such wildly insane "bimbo thinking"  the way I see it as far as Intellect is concerned...anyone can pick up intellect, not everyone is open enough to grasp wisdom. which is interesting because...to say you respect intellect and not wisdom is like some of these guys who are all about "respect" but have nothing but disdain for people who are "friendly"  In my opinion, you can't achieve quality business/quality respect without being friendly... 

Sign in to follow this