Shadao

Regarding books...

1.What would be the very first book you would tell someone to read when it comes to Tao/Dao/Qi?Something that they should get on as fast as possible before anything else?

2.What would be the top three books you would recommend for someone to read, based on your own experience reading those books?

EDIT: I think there might have a bit of confusion about the questions, or I worded them incorrectly...

First question is about ONE book you would say it's highly important for a BEGINNER to read once they start on this path.The first one they should read before anything else.

Second question is about THREE books you liked and/or consider to have helped you in your own path and that you would recommend for others to check.It is UNRELATED to the first question.

Edited by Knowthing
eh...clarification?
  • Like 1

Laozi and Zhuangzi come to mind. Much of the rest is commentary and elaboration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DDJ, as many translations as you can get your paws on...

Dr Yang Jwing-Ming:  The Roots of Chinese Qi Gong

Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine

Those are my top three starters

Then I'd add...

Wang Liping: Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Neigong Shu

Wang Liping: Daoist Internal Mastery

Zhuanzi (again as many translations as you can get)

Jerry Alan Johnson:  Daoist Internal Alchemy - Neigong & Weigong Training

Fritjof Capra:  The Tao of Physics

Scott P Bradley:  The Indifference of Birds (Zhuangzi commentary)

and for flavor, several books on Classic Chinese Poetry with a broad overview of multiple poets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As others have pointed out, DDJ and ZZ are important core texts and should be studied, they're a lifetime study not a casual read.

If asked about the very first book one should read about Daoism, I would recommend "When the Shoe Fits" by Osho.

I'm not generally enamored of Osho's books and talks but this book is a brilliant introduction to Zhuangzi and Daoist thought, IMO, albeit a bit colored by Osho's unique perspective. 

The other book I've found to be very valuable is "Original Tao" by Harold Roth. It is a translation and commentary on the Neiyeh, possibly the oldest extant example of a practical and explicit guide to inner cultivation. 

For me, reading Dao De Jing and Zhuang Zi was challenging, dull, and of little value until I first had a taste of what they were pointing at. I got that through a variety of commentaries and modern teachers, including Osho, Anthony Demello, Alan Watts but, most importantly, from my own Daoist teacher and the practices he strongly prioritized over reading.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, silent thunder said:

DDJ, as many translations as you can get your paws on...

Dr Yang Jwing-Ming:  The Roots of Chinese Qi Gong

Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine

Those are my top three starters

Then I'd add...

Wang Liping: Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Neigong Shu

Wang Liping: Daoist Internal Mastery

Zhuanzi (again as many translations as you can get)

Jerry Alan Johnson:  Daoist Internal Alchemy - Neigong & Weigong Training

Fritjof Capra:  The Tao of Physics

Scott P Bradley:  The Indifference of Birds (Zhuangzi commentary)

and for flavor, several books on Classic Chinese Poetry with a broad overview of multiple poets.

From dr. Yang I have only "Qigong meditation: embryonic breathing","Qigong meditation: Small circulation" and "Taijiquan Theory".Does any of them work or it would have to be "The Roots of Chinese Qigong"?

As for the other I have one called "Yellow Thearch's Basic Questions", I reckon it is the same thing?Kind of?

I think I have many books of Jerry Alan Johnson(Daoist: Exorcism/Magical Incantations/Magical Talismans/Transformation Skills/ and Weather Magic, along with other books not-titled Daoist: something) but maybe not this specific one you mentioned.

Ah, that moment where you feel like you hit every target except the one you were supposed to have hit -.-

Thanks for your recommendation, I'll check them once I have some free time for leisure reading.

Ah, ok, some of those authors are heavy hitters... so you've got quite a bit of reading under your belt already.

For me, Dr Yang's Roots of Qi Gong was instrumental in familiarizing with foundational concepts, theory and basics of practice in Daoism and Qi Gong.  If you're reading JAJ, then you'll likely find Roots of Qi Gong to be a very simplistic beginner's manual (I sense I have misinterpreted your initial quesion). 

You may get some mileage from Wang Liping's offerings.  They are quite practical and have considerable depth in my experience  (most of his offerings lie beyond my current process).

I'm not familiar with Thearch's work, I'll look out for it and based on your sharing, I'd welcome any titles that have particularly resonated with you. 

Peace

/|\

• Thanks 1

-Path Notes by Glenn Morris 

-Tao of Health Sex and Longevity by Daniel Reid 

-Mysteries of the Life Force by Meech 

-Midnights with the Mystic by Sadghuru 

-Magus of Strovolos by Kyriacos 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, silent thunder said:

You may get some mileage from Wang Liping's offerings.  They are quite practical and have considerable depth in my experience  (most of his offerings lie beyond my current process).

4 hours ago, RiverSnake said:

-Path Notes by Glenn Morris 

-Tao of Health Sex and Longevity by Daniel Reid 

-Midnights with the Mystic by Sadghuru 

I'll second all of these and raise you, Ajahn Brahms who has wonderful books and dharma lectures.  Haven't read Midnights w/ Mystics but I've enjoyed Sadghuru's dharma talks.  

Most authors have indepth articles, interviews and writings available on the internet, so its a good start to see if the author connects with you.  

• Thanks 2