ronko

good books on letting go , anger ,the past etc ?

does anyone know any good books to help with letting go of the past , anger , ,forgiving people from your past

Maybe, keep it simple.  The problem is giving such people too much of your thoughts and emotions.  Reading a whole book about it might be giving them and even more time and effort.  

Perhaps googling your question but use 'article' instead of 'books'.  It might be 2 or 3 simple steps well practiced are better than a whole book.  

Forgiveness is hard, its good to remember we do it for ourselves, our own well being, not necessarily for the other person. 

Lots of good articles with methodologies here https://www.google.com/search?q=articles+to+help+with+letting+go+of+the+past+%2C+anger+%2C+%2Cforgiving+people+from+your+past&oq=articles+to+help+with+letting+go+of+the+past+%2C+anger+%2C+%2Cforgiving+people+from+your+past&aqs=chrome..69i57.7729j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

I have to agree with Lerner's points - keep it simple - but there's one concise source that helped me out a lot.  

A couple of years ago I was busy coming up with all the rotten things I was going to say about my mother at her funeral when I finally cued up the audiobook of "The Wisdom of Forgiveness" by the Dalai Lama and started listening to it while walking my dog in the hills behind my home.  (Apparently, it's not possible to feel sorry for yourself while doing something positive for yourself simultaneously!)  Once I got through the power of forgiving the Chinese for torturing and butchering thousands of his HH DL's countrymen, I gained some perspective on my own plights. 

But for those of us who took a giant dose of developmental trauma as children, it's important to remember, as Lerner said, that forgiveness is hard.  And then comes the difficult work of mourning the loss of the life you could have had if things didn't unfold so wretchedly.  I hear music or see some expression of human beauty and weep when I realize that my own creative potential was alla but assassinated before I was old enough to vote.  Fortunately, I have the enormous gift of growing old and realizing a level of resolution I never thought possible.  May you find the peace you're looking for and deserve.

thanks for the suggetions ,

i need a book as its for a freind who has ended up in hospital so looking to get hold of something they can read

while admitted.

Here is a deceptively short book that ISN'T religious or secular, and is FULL of surrender and other practices that might just lead you across the river. If there was ANY book for someone either very ill or dying, I think this is it. I teach this one every few years in my little sangha, and it is always well received:

https://untetheredsoul.com/untethered-soul

Edited by stirling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, stirling said:

Here is a deceptively short book that ISN'T religious or secular, and is FULL of surrender and other practices that might just lead you across the river. If there was ANY book for someone either very ill or dying, I think this is it. I teach this one every few years in my little sangha, and it is always well received:

https://untetheredsoul.com/untethered-soul

Wonderful book.

I've recommended it to a few people over the years and it's generally very well received.

I often recommend a book by my current teacher, it is the book that introduced me to him.

It's a book filled with practices which I found very easy to adopt and incorporate into my life.

It's great to want to let go. The tricky part is, once you let go, what fills that space? 

What prevents the problems from filling us right back up? What do we connect to in order to prevent that? 

Where do we turn when things are really tough? Where can we find support?

This book introduces us to that support, which is in and available to every one.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13227894-awakening-the-luminous-mind