Shadao

Legit channels/videos?

Recommended Posts

I was browsing YT and found a few videos/channels that I wanted to know if the stuff they're teaching is legit or if they are "making it up".

Be as it may, online stuff is the only way(for now) for me to get anything related to qigong and such, and of those I can only get either what's cheap or what's free so I do have a habit of(once starting to learn something) searching for and "acquiring"(saving) what I find to see it later all together.

 

The videos/channels in question are:

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried the movement from the 2nd video of Swimming Dragon Qigong. Back in the day i experimented with it as a way of sublimating sexual energy. I found it to be quite effective. 

 

Ba Duan Jin or 8 Brocades is a set i experimented with when i first began training. Good for health....but i have not heard of anyone using it as a tool of deeper cultivation. 

 

Don't know anything about the rest of the videos. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

I tried the movement from the 2nd video of Swimming Dragon Qigong. Back in the day i experimented with it as a way of sublimating sexual energy. I found it to be quite effective. 

 

Ba Duan Jin or 8 Brocades is a set i experimented with when i first began training. Good for health....but i have not heard of anyone using it as a tool of deeper cultivation. 

 

Don't know anything about the rest of the videos. 

 

Yeah, my question was more on the people teaching these things than the content of their teaching per se.

Do they seem legit?Or are they mixing legit knowledge with fake stuff?

 

This is what I am in doubt.Their legitimacy to be teaching what they are teaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Knowthing said:

Yeah, my question was more on the people teaching these things than the content of their teaching per se.

Do they seem legit?Or are they mixing legit knowledge with fake stuff?

 

This is what I am in doubt.Their legitimacy to be teaching what they are teaching.

 

Few people are skilled enough to teach Qigong beyond just doing the motions. Here's a few names that i believe are reputable. 

 

-Jenny Lamb 

-Tao Semko 

-Michael Lomax 

-Chunyi Lin 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

 

Few people are skilled enough to teach Qigong beyond just doing the motions. Here's a few names that i believe are reputable. 

 

-Jenny Lamb 

-Tao Semko 

-Michael Lomax 

-Chunyi Lin 

Many thanks.

 

I'll search for them and see what I can find.

EDIT: Now that I realized one of the names if from the guy of SFQ

Edited by Knowthing
dumb moment
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know about the other teachers you posted but I am on Nick Loffree's patreon and I find his practices to be very good.

They are better than his YT ones in some ways as they are basically his unlisted youtube videos( you get 6-8 a month for about $5) and you dont get as as distracted by the wonderful scenery !

I have to try that  Swimming Dragon form, looks very nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 7:47 AM, Shadao said:

I was browsing YT and found a few videos/channels that I wanted to know if the stuff they're teaching is legit or if they are "making it up".

Be as it may, online stuff is the only way(for now) for me to get anything related to qigong and such, and of those I can only get either what's cheap or what's free so I do have a habit of(once starting to learn something) searching for and "acquiring"(saving) what I find to see it later all together.

 

The videos/channels in question are:

 

 

 

 

 

 

None of these are good to me, sorry.

 

On 2/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, Shadao said:

-Jenny Lamb 

-Tao Semko 

-Michael Lomax 

-Chunyi Lin 

 

Sorry, I can only recommend Lomax and Lin, ad the first one has some ethical issues and her knowledge is actually dubious. The latter I have never encountered, but a quick search shows underwhelming practices put together for the sake of marketing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How exactly would you know if something was really real?

 

You need to figure out how answer this correctly before you can go about trying to ascertain if a teacher or a system is really real.

 

 

Edited by Iliketurtles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Iliketurtles said:

How exactly would you know if something was really real?

 

You need to figure out how answer this correctly before you can go about trying to ascertain if a teacher or a system is really real.

 

 

Indeed, but until I get enough experience to be able to ascertain this by myself, it doesn't hurt to hear from others(more experienced) here their own opinions about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadao said:

Indeed, but until I get enough experience to be able to ascertain this by myself, it doesn't hurt to hear from others(more experienced) here their own opinions about it.

 

Logic, reason, and compelling evidence make for a good candle in the dark.

 

 

 

Edited by Iliketurtles
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My own experience is that it doesn't take much more than a week or two of daily practice for me to get a sense of whether or not a given practice is taking me in a direction I want to go.  It's true, no doubt, that there are unscrupulous teachers best avoided.  Still, most people are better served just diving in and then evaluating things in their own mind after a short period rather than greatly concerning themselves with the legitimacy of others.  I'd guard against the tendency of expecting perfection from teachers, especially if you're just seeking to pick up a qigong form or two.  Perfection is seldom on offer.  Greater due diligence may be warranted if you're looking to formally initiate a teacher/student relationship.

 

Just my point of view.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I'd guard against the tendency of expecting perfection from teachers

I never expect perfection from anything or anyone, because perfection is an ideal that doesn't exist in real life.At most you can get close to it, but never get it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites