Taoist Priest

Becoming a Taoist Priest: The correct how to..

Hi to All those Interested in Genuine Taoism.

I am a Fully Ordained Australian Taoist Priest of the "Zheng Yi Dao linage" aka Celestial Masters branch of Taoism. Internationally recognized by The Chinese Taoist Association of China.and the Eight Immortals Taoist Temple aka, "BA Xian AN" Taoist Temple in XI'AN Shaanxi Province PRC.

I am the Principal and Owner of a genuine Taoist Qi Cultivation and Taoist Qi-gong Education School in Western Australia.  .

I have no political connection nor will I go into such discussions as they have nothing to do with being a Taoist..

All genuine Taoist questions like:

How do I become an official fully ordained Taoist Priest?

What is  the correct and proper education and training required? 

What is the importance of Linage? 

What are the two main branches of Religious and Spiritual Taoism? 

Can I be a Taoist and not be Religious? 

What is required if I only want to be a "Philosophical Taoist". (a person who only follows the teachings of the "Tao Te Ching".  

What Taoist books do I need to study.

Are cross cultural religious studies Important? 

• Like 2

Hello Taoist Priest,

Welcome to the bums; your membership is approved. 

This is a rather eclectic philosophical/spiritual type forum, and you will find fellow travelers who are other than “genuine Taoist.” 

There are three topics pinned at the top of this welcome sub forum regarding rules and expectations, please ensure you are familiar with them.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:51 AM, Taoist Priest said:

Hi to All those Interested in Genuine Taoism.

What Taoist books do I need to study.

Welcome to the site.  Great to have experienced practitioners here.  

I'd be interested in learning which books you'd recommend.

thanks

Michael

@Taoist Priest Taoism is full of references to directions like in the Yi Jing, the Bagua and so on.   The north is associated with water, cold; the south is hot and fire.  However, being in Australia, all directions are reversed, the meanings attached to the directions are reversed too.  There are 2 types of treatment, one is treat Australia as if in the northern hemisphere, another is to re-draw the Bagua completely to reflect the new environment.  From your experience, which is the better way?

There is not a better way. Just a right way. Treat Australia as if in the southern hemisphere. The more South you go the wetter and colder it is so south=water. The more North you go the dryer and red the ground gets  so north= fire. All other elements are reversed.

With respect, I disagree with the reversal of designations based on hemisphere. While the temperature is reversed when you are in the southern hemisphere, the magnetic nature of the poles is the same. I would argue that the magnetic nature of all eight of the directions is more important than the temperature or humidity... I think that the idea of reversing the bagua based on southern vs northern hemisphere is an understandable, but superficial misunderstanding of the directions... I moved from the northern hemisphere to Australia, but I did not change any of the designations of the directions and it has worked well for me... My two cents... Peace...

Master Logray raises a good point. As I mentioned in my earlier response, I think the magnetic properties of the directions are what is important. Let's look at Nature: birds migrate using the magnetic energies, not the concept of heat or humidity. Salmon navigate to their spawning ground using magnetic energy. Even during the ice ages, the northern hemisphere had much more ice than the southern hemisphere. So, even if we look at hot, cold, wet and dry, on the whole, the southern hemisphere is warmer and drier than the northern. To address, Master Logray's question, if we reverse the north and south directions when in the southern hemisphere, we would have to reverse the east and west. The sun still rises in the east and sets in the west here in the southern hemisphere. The positive and negative magnetic charges of the poles don't reverse just because we have changed residence on the globe... The globe is a globe. It is not a mirror of two half globes... So, for me, the bagua is the same whether in the northern or southern hemispheres... my 4 cents...

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 1:51 AM, Taoist Priest said:

The Chinese Taoist Association of China

A cursory search suggests this is controlled by the Party. Color me skeptical that the Party would allow any sort of genuine Taoist cultivation as that would represent a threat to their authority. 

This ma be so in Beijing Mainland China where the party does try to control but in fact is impossible to control Taoism worldwide. certainly not in other country's but the Chinese Taoist Association do support overseas Taoist Priests that they can prove to be legitimate... 

On 4/1/2021 at 12:28 AM, Master Logray said:

If north and south are exchanged, then how about the east and west? 

There is no change to East Green Wood Liver/or to West Metal Lungs. But the yin/yang symbol in the center is drawn in an anti-clockwise direction. It is also important to remember the further away from a magnetic pole you are the less influence it has on your practice.  

On 2/21/2021 at 2:18 AM, thelerner said:

Welcome to the site.  Great to have experienced practitioners here.  

I'd be interested in learning which books you'd recommend.

thanks

Michael

Hung Di Nei Jing, Yellow emperors Canon on Internal Medicine, (Nei-Jing practice).

A good translation version of Lao-Tze book the "Tao Te Ching". a single verse picked once each week for Tao guidance.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, ilumairen said:

Hello Taoist Priest,

Welcome to the bums; your membership is approved. 

This is a rather eclectic philosophical/spiritual type forum, and you will find fellow travelers who are other than “genuine Taoist.” 

There are three topics pinned at the top of this welcome sub forum regarding rules and expectations, please ensure you are familiar with them.

Understood...

You said,  "It is also important to remember the further away from a magnetic pole you are the less influence it has on your practice." what point are you trying to make in the context of this thread?  

@Taoist Priest Welcome! It would be great if you begin a thread in the daoist section. the questions you post in the OP are very interesting. Some months ago we had a discussion about westerners becoming priests and the partial conclussion was that westernes (generally speaking) lack the time and training to be a fully ordained daoshi. But this was more focussed in Quanzhen. What could you say about that? How is the training for a westerner in Zhengyi? Also, do you have a neidan trainig? (Perhaps integrated into ritual trainig as Michael Saso explained in his book about master Chuang).

• Thanks 1

Greetings Taoist Priest,
          I just joined the forum today, or maybe it was yesterday already. My question to you is, "What characterizes the Celestial Masters branch of Taoism, in particular, and what attracted you to that branch in particular?"

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 10:04 PM, damdao said:

@Taoist Priest Welcome! It would be great if you begin a thread in the daoist section. the questions you post in the OP are very interesting. Some months ago we had a discussion about westerners becoming priests and the partial conclussion was that westernes (generally speaking) lack the time and training to be a fully ordained daoshi. But this was more focussed in Quanzhen. What could you say about that? How is the training for a westerner in Zhengyi? Also, do you have a neidan trainig? (Perhaps integrated into ritual trainig as Michael Saso explained in his book about master Chuang).

In answer to your question do I have a Nei-Dan Training? The answer is Yes. I think it is very Important to cultivate and refine your Internal Qi (Internal Alchemy) on a day to day basis, and your question on becoming a Daoshi (Taoist Priest) is also yes it takes a lot of time working on personal self development for Nei-Jing practice and Taoist Style Qi-Gong practice.. Cross-cultural religious studies, Taoist Philosophy and cross cultural social studies at a Taoist Temple under a Taoist Grand Master is Important as is the linage. For Zheng Yi Dao  the linage is "Celestial Masters" and comes legitimately from one of two :Zheng" family's. One is in Mainland China and has been able to prove their family linage back in history to Zheng Dao Ling the original founder of the "five pecks of rice Taoist Movement" and the other genuine "Zheng family" branch is in Taiwan. My education and training was from the Taiwanese Zheng family " under Taoist Grand-master: Zheng Zi Jing"  who was at the Pu-Xin Taoist Temple in Northbridge. Perth. Western Australia from 1997 to 1999 for 2 years and here under a working holiday visa before returning back to Taiwan. Daily Taoist ritual practice is also important as is living your life by guidance readings from the Tao-Te-Ching on a weekly 7 day cycle. 

For Quanzhen  I agree with you,, and  others who have looked into westerners who have tried that branch of Taoism. It requires that you will need to stay permanently inside a Taoist Temple and study under their educational Taoist texts.. I have never come across one in Australia so not sure if one actually exists... genuinely that is..  :-)   

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 6:12 AM, NordaVinci said:

Greetings Taoist Priest,
          I just joined the forum today, or maybe it was yesterday already. My question to you is, "What characterizes the Celestial Masters branch of Taoism, in particular, and what attracted you to that branch in particular?"

I think it was mainly the fact that you are able to stay in the public with Zheng Yi Dao.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, ThunderWizardDotcom said:

You said,  "It is also important to remember the further away from a magnetic pole you are the less influence it has on your practice." what point are you trying to make in the context of this thread?  

"Wu-Wei" action through non-action,,,,

"Wu-Wei" action through non-action,,,,

That's not an answer... If you are saying that the magnetic fields are not important because "the further away from a magnetic pole you are the less influence it has on your practice" That is just simply not true... It is obvious that the closer you are to the poles, the greater the magnetic influence and it is obvious that the further away, the less impact. But if you are on the planet, anywhere, you are effected by the magnetic poles. It is obvious, that the higher one goes, the less effect gravity has on you but it is still effecting you... Not convinced. To me, this is an instance of dogma over experience...