arthur

The use of technology to induce deeper states

I used to meditate with binaural music to get myself into faster and deeper states. I have tracks for alpha, theta, delta, gamma and epsilon brainwave induction. I also have a device that modulate electric to pulse at certain frequency for the same effect. All of it works well. 

Recently i need to use these tech assistance again because my environment is not conducive for meditation.

I'm wondering what's the opinion of tech-assisted meditation or if anyone else is using it.

Would it be considered cheating?

Edited by arthur
  • Like 2

I don't think it's cheating any more than riding a bike or using a taxi is cheating. However, there are many places that are inaccessible by bicycle or taxi.

I've explored the tech myself and occasionally recommend some of it to beginners but generally it's better to use natural entrainment (e.g. your heartbeat, breathing and so-called inner sound (anahatanada) and inner light) because these also provide biofeedback and they are infinitely superior to any tech currently available.

☮

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 8:05 AM, arthur said:

I used to meditate with binaural music to get myself into faster and deeper states. I have tracks for alpha, theta, delta, gamma and epsilon brainwave induction. I also have a device that modulate electric to pulse at certain frequency for the same effect. All of it works well. 

Recently i need to use these tech assistance again because my environment is not conducive for meditation.

I'm wondering what's the opinion of tech-assisted meditation or if anyone else is using it.

I collect guided meditations,  biaurals, breathing apps, have an Oura sleep ring.   I think they're a great addition, but not substitution for meditation.  Just sitting you have to face your mind and body, its thoughts and anxieties, the body's squirms and itches.. Your weapons are concentration, relaxation, surrender and practice.  

• Like 3

On 2/6/2021 at 8:05 AM, arthur said:

It is not cheating at all, but IMHO, we should also develop the ability to meditate under non-ideal circumstances. 

• Like 2

I've experimented with meditation technology, but I personally did not find it helpful. What I do find helpful are subtle body practices, such as qigong and Tibetan exercises (like in Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's Awakening the Sacred Body).