Diamond-K

your recommendation list of teachers

I was introduced to qigong, like many of others, by mantak chia. but having studied some of his work i find it difficult to follow (and understand) and because there's so many methods out there i feel like there really should be someone much easier to learn from. 

who do you personally recommend that teaches in Book format or video - other than mantak chia or micheal winn?

what im interested in (or at least would like a different approach to)

- dan tien strengthening practices
- universal orbit
- sexual kungfu 
- inner smile 

- third eye 
- daily practical exercises 

i know youtube has plenty exercises but i dont like jumping from teacher to teacher to later find out im practicing incompatible or completely different methods that dont give any room to progress and learn deeper with. theres always a paywall somewhere, which i understand but, i want to double-down one just one instructor that has as much coverage on topics as mantak. 

i feel like mantak has so much popularity mainly because of the amount of content he has available. ive not come across any one else that comes even close to covering so many areas in qigong. 

for example - sexual kungfu and seminal retention. any suggestions?

and yes ive tried google, mantak chia is the only one that comes up for SKF in detail. 

if not, i guess ill just stick with mantak. its not like the 'million dollar point' method is all that bad, right?... Right?

Cheers

Hello Diamond-K,

Welcome to the bums.

There are a plethora of cautions regarding Mantak Chia on this site - predominantly owing to people developing issues related to the sexual stuff and semen retention. So much so that there seems to be a collective cringe here when the subject comes up. You will be able to find the many threads related to this by using the search function, if you wish. And you are also welcome to start new threads related to your inquiries.

Being female, I avoid the semen retention threads like the plague, but perhaps @Wu Ming Jen, @Cleansox, or @freeform (as well established, knowledgeable, and personable Daoist practitioners) may be able to assist you in your search and queries.

warm regards,

ilu

P.S. You will find three topics pinned at the top in this sub forum regarding expectations and rules here, please make sure you are familiar with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Hello Diamond-K,

Welcome to the bums.

There are a plethora of cautions regarding Mantak Chia on this site - predominantly owing to people developing issues related to the sexual stuff and semen retention. So much so that there seems to be a collective cringe here when the subject comes up.

thanks!

yeah i got that impression about mantak even in posts dating in 2005, i really wonder how many people become interested in qi gung simply because they heard on youtube that they too can become multiorgasmic. 

You will be able to find the many threads related to this by using the search function, if you wish. And you are also welcome to start new threads related to your inquiries.

i dont know if im using it wrong but the search doesnt give me anyting related to list of popular online teachers?

literally "teacher" / mentor   search term gives me nothing. even the term "recommend" 

how about you personally, who / where do you source your great wisdom of qi gung from? 

For the sexual part (although "avoid" is a relevant advice) James McNeil Nine Little Heaven. 

For the rest, you are more or less describing Damo Mitchell/Lotus Neigong. 

Both have strengths and weaknesses, but fulfil the criteria of easy availability. 

Many here have good relations to as interesting teachers, but availability might be an issue so the above might be a good start, if the goal is to check off your list. 

6 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

For the rest, you are more or less describing Damo Mitchell/Lotus Neigong. 

yeah i listened to his podcast going to sleep, really enjoyed it. how he talks about the dantian needing to be first formed and that it isnt already there ready to use whenever like other practitioners say.

he also pointed out (and contradicted mantak) about 'universal orbit' being more unconscious and un-intentional. its like a body habit that only comes about from advanced training. where mantak just says, consciously do it - it will work. 

the only thing is that he doesnt a written format, other than just the one simple book that doesnt go deep in to anything at all. 

14 minutes ago, Diamond-K said:

the only thing is that he doesnt a written format, other than just the one simple book that doesnt go deep in to anything at all. 

Two books on Nei gong. 

One book on Nei Dan. 

One book on dao yin. 

One book with miscellanious material. 

Three books in the coming. 

27 minutes ago, Diamond-K said:

he also pointed out (and contradicted mantak) about 'universal orbit' being more unconscious and un-intentional. its like a body habit that only comes about from advanced training. where mantak just says, consciously do it - it will work. 

Yes, you have the difference right there. That is the essence of all critique of Chia's methods ever written. 

My guess is that it comes from a Mao Shan heritage, which influenced the reverse engineering of, among other things, the Zhong-Lu tradition. 

He does the same with the Emei Shan version of the Shaolin Nei Jin Yi Zhi Chan, so it's not personal against the daoist tradition. 

Edited by Cleansox
Added stuff

15 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Two books on Nei gong. 

One book on Nei Dan. 

One book on dao yin. 

One book with miscellanious material. 

Three books in the coming. 

well there we are. i have some googling to do. thanks!

10 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Yes, you have the difference right there. That is the essence of all critique of Chia's methods ever written. 

My guess is that it comes from a Mao Shan heritage, which influenced the reverse engineering of, among other things, the Zhong-Lu tradition. 

so youre saying that chia has this habit of underemphasising or skipping key information about the things he teaches? 

Edited by Diamond-K

No, he has the tendency to rely heavily on visualisation, while other methods get result by "proper practice" (yes, that was mean). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

No, he has the tendency to rely heavily on visualisation, while other methods get result by "proper practice" (yes, that was mean). 

so what kind of qigung topics are you into? have you bought any of Mitchell's courses?

I have his books. I like books 😁. 

I have a practice, and through the years it has led me to interesting places. Wouldn't recommend it though, hard to find a teacher that is willing to teach the entire system, and a lot of slow, hard work when one build the foundation. 

I also have a practice, somewhat unique in its simplicity.

And through the years it also has led me to interesting places.

I would recommend comfortable shoes, as I suggest walking, its healthy.

And can lead one to interesting places!

If the shoe fits by all means wear it out!

Safe and rewarding wandering!

18 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

I have his books. I like books 😁. 

I have a practice, and through the years it has led me to interesting places. Wouldn't recommend it though, hard to find a teacher that is willing to teach the entire system, and a lot of slow, hard work when one build the foundation. 

thats one way to peak someones interest, describe it like its a secret that few teach. that its hard painful work but somehow keeps you commited.  i like that about forums. this way you know when theres something valuable to uncover, but shouldnt be shared so freely. otherwise you wouldnt be the only one with that something special. 

im in to cold therapy, and i think theres so much potential there in combination with qi gung. and thinking with your body rather than your mind. being able to make unconscious habits of qi practice

Edited by Diamond-K

15 minutes ago, Diamond-K said:

thats one way to peak someones interest, describe it like its a secret that few teach. that its hard painful work but somehow keeps you commited.  i like that about forums. this way you know when theres something valuable to uncover, but shouldnt be shared so freely. otherwise you would be the only one with that something special. 

Part of that is "traditional", part is true (teachers seldom teach everything), and other parts is practical: On a forum there is always someone ready to bitch about other peoples practices, and not being too specific keeps the fecal flinging to a minimum. 🐒 

I tend to do some flinging myself, in Chia threads, but thats based on BTDT (the sexual qigong, the Kong Jing Gong, the Bone Marrow Nei Gong, the really stupid Iron Shirt packning exercises (every time i tried that one, I developed a blockage, but being young and brave I tried again... 😁), the first Fusion book,....). Aahhh, the nineties. Brings back memories. 

Edited by Cleansox
Added stuff

Part of that is "traditional", part is true (teachers seldom teach everything), and other parts is practical: On a forum there is always someone ready to bitch about other peoples practices, and not being too specific keeps the fecal flinging to a minimum. 🐒 

theres a chinese saying, "teach too little, and gods will punish you, teach too much, and gods will punish you" in a way its a good thing, how it leaves room to get creative when there are clear gaps in knowledge. gaps to experiment and discover new things. but it gets you thinking of how much the practice changed and evolved and how much of it was lost before people discovered writing. i bet tai qi was so much more powerful back then than it is now, its like inventing a gun and giving one to an enemy / your kids. ofcourse thats illogical. same with the healing practices, you want your family to prosper, not your neighbours. i think what we have here online has that same thing going on. its all but skimmed milk here. these teachers know this. 

there was this teacher known as dr yan xin, who disappears with rumours the chinese government wants his talents and teachings reserved for themselves. all his content vanishes. books and audio recording just wiped. 

I tend to do some flinging myself, in Chia threads, but thats based on BTDT (the sexual qigong, the Kong Jing Gong, the Bone Marrow Nei Gong, the really stupid Iron Shirt packning exercises (every time i tried that one, I developed a blockage, but being young and brave I tried again... 😁), the first Fusion book,....). Aahhh, the nineties. Brings back memories. 

stem cells, bone marrow practices, sex practices. sounds like one big clickbait to get more attention / profit - might be chias line of thinking. but i cant speculate until i try i guess

i thought iron shirt is one of fundamentals, have you found a better source?

3 hours ago, Diamond-K said:

what im interested in (or at least would like a different approach to)

- dan tien strengthening practices
- universal orbit
- sexual kungfu 
- inner smile 

- third eye 
- daily practical exercises 

KAP1 and KAP2 has all of what your talking about including working with Kundalini energy. I'd recommend going to an in-person workshop, there a lot of fun. 

https://kundaliniawakeningprocess.com/blog/ 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

KAP1 and KAP2 has all of what your talking about including working with Kundalini energy. I'd recommend going to an in-person workshop, there a lot of fun. 

https://kundaliniawakeningprocess.com/blog/ 

thanks for the lead, got some research to do.

yeah but the workshops are always on the other side of the world and are overpriced when all you really need is a video recording 

1 hour ago, Diamond-K said:

thanks for the lead, got some research to do.

yeah but the workshops are always on the other side of the world and are overpriced when all you really need is a video recording 

Online Video Recordings come with the purchase of KAP 1. 

12 hours ago, Diamond-K said:

i thought iron shirt is one of fundamentals, have you found a better source?

According to the general gossip, a handful of Healing Tao instructors have gone out and said that that material should be retracted. 

I have read that myself somewhere, but I didn't save the source so see it as unsubstianted gossip. 

There are three systems and teachers I can recommend:
1) Simplified Kundalini and Kaya Kalpa Yoga by Vethathiri Maharishi

2) Master Zhongxian Wu (Emei Shamanic Qigong, Dai Family Xing Yi, Hidden Immortal Taiji)
3) Chunyi Lin (Spring Forest Qigong).

Let me say a few lines about each, related to your requests:
"- dan tien strengthening practices
- universal orbit
- sexual kungfu 
- inner smile 

- third eye 
- daily practical exercises"

Simplified Kundalini and Kaya Kalpa Yoga (SKY and KKY for short)
- you open your different chakras in a specific sequence, including the navel chakra)

- you circulate energy in your spine

- Kaya Kalpa Yoga is specifically devoted to recycling and transmuting the sexual vital fluid

- the third eye is gradually opened as the practices advance through the third eye chakra, meditation, recycling the sexual vital fluid and eventually gazing exercises specifically for the eyes and the third eye

- there are very easy and simple to do physical exercises, breathing exercises and meditation for each day, 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening

It's extremely easy and simple, yet the most powerful practices I've tried in my entire life. So, if you lean towards meditation, recycling sex energy and improving your character, this has been my personal favorite

Master Zhongxian Wu

- there is dan tien work in every single practice I've learnt from him

- the orbit is opened and worked in several of the forms and meditations he teaches

- I've tried to ask him about sexual practices, but he doesn't teach that

- there are no specific third eye practices he has taught so far, instead the third eye opens gradually by itself due to the qigong and meditation

- daily exercises, including shaking (tribal, shamanic dancing), mantras, physical moves and stretches, visualisation and mudras.

For me personally, the EMEI style of qigong he teaches has simply hit home. Especially his "cosmic orbit qigong". It's so easy and simple, can be done both standing and sitting, and each movement has a mantra, mudra and visualisation. It's easy, yet it just works (for me).

Chunyi Lin (Spring Forest Qigong)

- the dan tien is worked through the different qigong exercises

- he has specific "small universe" meditations with mantras and visualisation

- no specific sexual kung fu that I know of

- there are specific third eye exercises starting from his level three classes.. They work!! (He has lvl 1-3 available online and with videos, lvl 4 and 5 are only in person)

- easy and enjoyable daily exercises, follow along videos, it's easy, yet it just works!

See if any of the descriptions or names attract you. If they do, check them out on youtube, see if you vibe with them. If you do, feel free to ask me more questions, or simply just buy their stuff and try it out.

For sexual qigong and kung fu, I've written about that specifically here, including my own personal experiences The link is below. 

All the best in your qigong journey! 

• Like 1