almaxy

I have a Shiva Nataraja statue at home, but I don't practice Hinduism. What should I do?

Some years ago my uncle went to India and bought a Shiva Nataraja Statue for me, but recently I'm discovering that I shouldn't keep this statue at home If I don't practice hinduism, can someone please tell me what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, almaxy said:

Some years ago my uncle went to India and bought a Shiva Nataraja Statue for me, but recently I'm discovering that I shouldn't keep this statue at home If I don't practice hinduism, can someone please tell me what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Why is that? Was the statue consecrated? If it’s just a statue, you can most certainly keep it at home. 

• Like 3

@dwai  I've been reading some posts that say we shouldn't keep this statue at home if we don't worship him(Shiva), but maybe it's ok then

• Like 1

I had one for many years on a shelf at home that my friend got me from India in the mid-1990's. I put it on a shelf for many years. Then one day, I had the chance to connect with non-dual Shaiva Tantra. Now it usually sits on my Buddhist altar. 

I've tended to stop thinking about these things so linearly. 

• Like 4

Btw, most anyone could use the safe mantra  Om Namah Shivaya  without being a member of a particular Saivite order although it will not be  empowered compared to one being a member and under their related guru.  Also in most forms of Hinduism Ganesha is normally or is supposed to be recognized first.  (which I believe Dwai could tell us more about if he is so inclined since I'm mostly looking from the outside - in as a "westerner")

FYI:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/religion/mantras-chants/know-the-importance-of-chanting-om-namah-shivay/articleshow/75203903.cms

Edited by old3bob