thelerner

Anyone got interesting plans for February?

Wish I did.  January has been a chronological wasteland for me.  I got nothing to show for it.  Not even blisters.  

Looking for inspiration or vicarious living.

IN FEBRUARY 2021  I LOOK FORWARD TO THIS RAT  ~ CHANGED TO AN OX

The Dao Bums

th?id=OIP.8AlhrcdADrJ4t3_F4ZWoYgHaFP&pid=Api&P=0&w=229&h=163

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Haha 1

I always have the fantasy that when I'm retired, I'll spend more time practicing. I've heard a lot of Tibetan stories about householders who, upon retirement, go into long term retreat and attain high states of realization. 

However, at one time, I had a few months between jobs. I thought, "wow, I will really use this time for practice." And I did. Practicing watching Netflix, going to the gym, walking around outside, going to book stores, reading, playing video games, sleeping in, etc. For some reason, I find it easier to practice when I have less time. 

Just now, thelerner said:

mostly retired, putzing around a bit in finance.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I´ll offer a video I´m watching.  Here psychotherapist Esther Perel is talking about how to recover that feeling of aliveness so many of us are missing lately through fantasy and imagination.  She calls it "eroticism" but she´s not really talking about sex, or at least not only about sex.  More like vitality, spontaneity, a delight in the unexpected.  

My favorite quote from the video: In an effort to flatten the curve, we have flattened ourselves.

58 minutes ago, thelerner said:

mostly retired

Hi Michael,

only retyred

tired of the old tyres

84893459.gif

th?id=OIP.XGtjfwTq7d8JHb2wX1ynCgHaEe&pid=Api&P=0&w=271&h=164

- Anand

1 hour ago, forestofemptiness said:

For some reason, I find it easier to practice when I have less time. 

Ain't that the sad truth.  

I practiced more when I had 3 kids in diapers, ran a small business and was working on black belts.  Problem w/ doing nothing is you're never quite done w/ it.   

Though, this morning I woke up, played w/ wife, did Pan Gu qigong, followed by Ocean breathing, sun/moon form, Crossing the Ocean, 5 minutes of shaking, little bit of zhan zhuang, and KAP stretches.  Not that I spent much time on any one thing, but felt good.  I've been sitting too much, getting stiff.  

the only interesting thing I'm half way planning is the creation of a certain kind of tincture.  One that would be actually legal, a bit expensive, but frowned upon by my significant other.  

Going north to get some grass trees. Last time I was there I saw some advertised  by the roadside , very cheap. But I was in the wrong type of car - no room.   I suppose they are  small ones .

gt271106.jpg

but many years later ;

W2KMSBHSllGiZ9wy-uc8WyTiRDhXByuhy-fHqLbU

Going to visit my XGF  and we are off for a 2 day trip. north  Just as I return I am going south for a bit of a martial arts  get together - our head guy passed on a few months back so some seniors are getting together again ( I missed the first one , it was 'admin' , organisation, restructuring and  other immensely boring stuff I happily avoided  :)  ), this time   for 'practice'  . It appears  only two of us ( I am one )  that has retained the fuller extent of our weapons system , so I hope to be  doing a session on that .

Then,  just as I return from that , my Thailer   ( Thai tiler )  turns up  FINALLY  ( I have been waiting MONTHS! )  to start work inside my now finished   garden bath house .

In between that I plan to float down the river a lot and go out to the coast and do some salt water fishing .   I got dinner there yesterday - what an adventure !  Hooked up a decent fish , but he came back in, went under the wharf  and through the netting into the swimming pool - snagged .  So I had to get down in there  dive to the bottom and  untangle it, under water .   Took me 3 goes ,  the things a fisherman will do to secure his catch !     :D  

• Like 1

I'm.planning to learn a bit about Ba Zi. Good time of year to start something new!

• Like 1

February will be almost entirely focused on work for me.  Breaking down drawings and building scenery.  We've resumed production on the 11th of Jan after a month off for the holiday and the big spike of covid here in LA.

Our show opted to build a rather ambitious one block replica of NYC circa the 80's, along both sides of a street near our studio in lieu of going into downtown for location shots.

We juggle the elements, the materials, the drawings, nearby homeless encampments, drive-by solicitations for sex and drugs and the deadline pressures of a major tv shooting schedule that is in near constant shift.

I'm grateful beyond words to be able to work and provide for my family.  That i also am able to do so among artists I both love and respect, not only for their skills in craft, but for their skills in humor and in navigating the deadliest pandemic of our lifetimes without becoming a spreader event... all in the midst of LA's spike.

Truly humbling.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

That i also am able to do so among artists I both love and respect, not only for their skills in craft, but for their skills in humor and in navigating the deadliest pandemic of our lifetimes without becoming a spreader event... all in the midst of LA's spike.

Hi Creighton,

You are lucky to be among thus.

Keep safe and well among thus.

- Anand

• Thanks 1