thelerner

Hey Goodlookin, What u got Cookin?

Tired of endless daily grind of cooking dinners, I've ordered out a bit more then I like.  Thought I need to re-energize myself and the best way to do that is to plan out and share menu ideas.  

So what you guys got cookin?

• Like 1

<a post from my blog.  wanted to open it up to get others suggestions>

Yesterday, an easy chicken parmesan.  Started w/ decent quality frozen Chicken kiev stuffed w/ broccoli cheese mix.  Baked in toaster oven for 35 minutes, last 4 minutes put on spaghetti sauce and slice of mozzarella cheese.  While cooking made spaghetti and a salad.   Plated pasta & sauce, w/ Chicken Kiev covered in baked cheese on top.  Very little effort and looked good tasted good.  Nutritionally, so so, but in winter, fatty and carb is more forgiveable.

Today, making a thick soup, https://www.veggieinspired.com/instant-pot-vegan-split-pea-soup/, I like that its a split pea that uses potato.  Gives it a thicker body.  Uses liquid smoke too, being veggie it needs some extra flavor boost.  Sorry I don't have any sea weed around.  I'll hit it up w/ a little fish sauce, just a tad, knocking out its pure veggie nature to give it even more umami.  

I'll serve it with salad and 7 grain bread, w/ butter and hummus on the side.  

<I'm getting tired of chopping and peeling.  So used a square box shredder.  Instead of peeling the potato, I gave it a light scoring along the sides w/ the box shredder, then shred it into the hot oiled pan.  Same w/ the onion, shredded it thickly into the pan.  No tears or knife work.  Gotta to remember to use that more often.  Especially for turning tomatoes into sauce> 

Tomorrow a grain bowl.  Farro (boiled), corn (nuke or run under hot water), edamame(boiled), chopped salad from bag, cooked chickens.. served w/ a lime and balsamic dressing.  Perhaps leftover soup.  < w/ the farro no need for rice >  Like the soup menu, this is solidly good nutrition.

I'm a coffee guy.  Generally 2 small cups a day.  At 2:30 had the decision- coffee or tea.  Chose the tea.  Good decision.  Sipping Gunpowder Green.  Mellower, a taste I have to reach out to savour, versus coffee, an overwhelming but pleasing bitterness.  Plus getting a different 'hit' of antioxidants, the wider variety the better.

• Like 3

I'm having a bit of a spring clean so my diet is pretty basic at the moment. Tonight was some peppered belly pork, roasted in the oven for about 40mins until crispy around the edges then chopped up on a pile of broccoli and cabbage. Yesterday was a standard - chicken in broth. About 1/2 litre of chicken stock, flavoured with garlic, ginger, some sort of dried mushrooms I have in the cupboard and a pinch of wakame. Stick a chicken breast in to poach then vegetables that you have to hand. Last night was some mushrooms and choi sum. I think there might have been broccoli again. Works well with salmon and prawns instead of the chicken. Day before that was a fry up of onion, cooked brussel sprouts, mushrooms and chorizo. There are worse diets!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RobB said:

some peppered belly pork, roasted in the oven for about 40mins until crispy around the edges then chopped up on a pile of broccoli and cabbage

ummn crispy pork belly.. a good kind of evill..

I arrived home to the smell of slow roasted, shredded pork.

Fresh homemade pico de gallo and guac, cilantro, salsa and cabbage.

Aaaaah... street tacos, without the street. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ha, street tacos without the street. Made me lol

reminds me of a time I was at a school trip to an amusement park, and it started raining. But we were all hungry so we ended up eating tacos in the rain. My friend remarked, “This is as low as it goes.”

Edited by Mithras
  • Haha 1

had leftover food from last night, and a stuffed indian flatbread -- potato and fenugreek stuffing (we call it Aloo Paratha), with hot and spicy ketchup :D 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Aaaaah... street tacos, without the street. 

They're best when they're cooked on upside-down trash can lids.  Tamales de pina are da bomb.

• Like 5

On 1/20/2021 at 2:57 PM, thelerner said:

Tomorrow a grain bowl.  Farro (boiled), corn (nuke or run under hot water), edamame(boiled), hard boiled egg, chopped salad from bag, cooked chickens.. served w/ a lime and balsamic dressing.  

Grain bowl was a big success.  Relatively fast, filling, very nutritious and easy cleanup.  I could see making these more often.  The leftovers make for great um.. leftovers.  It's easy and flexibly carnivorous or vegetarian.  

• Like 1

Cooked dinner tonight for the family. 

Our spread is always communal, in the sense that all the dishes are laid out on the table, and everyone gets a plate of rice and help themselves to what they fancy, in whatever portion size they like. Most days we prepare more than enough, and the leftovers are then eaten for lunch the next day. Thats the cycle we observe - very very seldom does a dish get re-introduced at next evening's dinner, unless its a big pot of herbed pork rib soup, braised pork belly in soy sauce, or some form of curry. Apparently, meat curries always taste better overnight. 

So, tonight we had.... Steamed whole marbled goby with ginger, scallion & coriander, drizzled with slightly sweetened soy sauce and doused in sizzling hot oil to release the aromas of the herbs, which then infuse the fish. This was the star of the meal. Additionally, I made a pot of Chinese soup with air-dried bok choy (the large variety) from China, pork bones, pork, and red dates. The piece of pork is taken out earlier, cooled, and then sliced up to be eaten with a blended condiment of fresh garlic, green chillies (home grown), apple cider vinegar & a bit of sugar. To lift the taste, a few drops of fish sauce can be added to make it more Thai, but my family are not really fond of fish sauce in any chilli dips. Then I stir-fried some choy sum (lit. *heart of vegetable* - Chinese flowering cabbage, although it looks nothing like cabbage) with garlic & oyster sauce, together with an Asian style scrambled eggs with garlic & tomatoes. All these accompanied by a bowl of fresh iceberg lettuce, which is quite a regular feature at our family table. 

Recipe for the soup here 

https://www.ohmyfoodrecipes.com/dried-bok-choy-soup/

Steamed marbled goby 

image.png.0f7ee2aeb6dd02339b6602faeb1f2552.png

Tomato scrambled egg recipe: https://rasamalaysia.com/tomato-eggs/

As always, we try to eat mindfully, with a grateful heart. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C T said:

Tomato scrambled egg recipe: https://rasamalaysia.com/tomato-eggs/

As always, we try to eat mindfully, with a grateful heart. 

Wow, chef.  That looks incredible.  Do you travel?  Would your family mind?

Edited by manitou
  • Haha 1

Oh my you guys make some tasty sounding stuff!

I’m on very simple meals at the moment (leading up to retreat).

So last night was roasted and boiled buckwheat, sprinkled with black sesame seeds and seaweed flakes, black beans, a few walnuts, leftover roast sweet potato and carrot and some freshly steamed black kale.

No salt, no herbs, no oil - but feels very nourishing when eaten with a degree of mindfulness.

• Like 4

Just made something new -- avocado butter.  It couldn´t be simpler.  Just take softened room temperature butter and mash it up with avocado.  Add salt and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.  Maybe some cumin or cayenne, something to add a bit of zing.  Really good.

Next on the dairy adventure docket: sardine butter.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Thanks 1

Made a little snack just now — 

finely chopped quarter yellow onion, quarter cup of roasted peanuts, a tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/8 tsp paprika — mixed up. 

• Like 1

Made garlic confit following this recipe: https://paleomg.com/garlic-confit/.  Delicious!  You get two products really, the softened garlic (reminescent of roasted) and the infused garlic and rosemary olive oil.  Next time I´ll add more heads of garlic for the 2 cups of oil.  Saw one recipe with 6 heads per 2 cups.  Can also experiment with adding different herbs, maybe thyme next time.

Mash up a few of the cloves with a spoonful or two of the oil and you´ve got a good base for a salad dressing.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

making my signature goat curry — marinate 2 lb goat leg cut up in small pieces with turmeric (1 tsp), cumin powder (1 tsp), red chili powder (1/2 tsp), dried fenugreek leaves crushed (1 tspn), olive oil (1 tbspn). 

Roast onion (1 large), ginger (2 tspn), tomato (2 large), cilantro (1 bunch) and then blend into a paste. 

2 large russet potatoes cubed and roasted. 

Stir in the goat with the potatoes, stir fry for 4 minutes, add in the curry paste and add salt to taste. 

cook in a pressure cooker or in slow cooker with optional 1/2 cup of water. Add enough water to not let the dish dry out while cooking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

That sounds delicious.  Wish I had a good local source for goat!

Check if you have Indian stores nearby. They usually have good goat meat :)

• Like 1

Last three nights -  soft fish tacos .

Harvested the last of my tomatillos,  too cold now for more .  Tomatillo roasted with  garlic, peppers , blistered chilli,  fresh coriander and lime juice   ( for the salsa) . a  bunch of different tomato types and peppers and onion dry roasted / 'blackened '  in a pan then add a little water p+s and smoked paprika.

Corn tortilla , 3 small whiting fillets seasoned and pan fried , a gob of  fried tomatoes,  some salsa,  finely shredded red onion, shallots, squeeze of lime juice and some smoked habanero sauce  ,.

- but not tonight  - I ran out of fish .

83B165B0-1F62-4CAE-AD71-5FEA2EAAE2E2.jpe

[ entrée has  been 'Mexican prawn cocktail'   ....   flashback food , with a twist . Remember these  - if you are old enough

54807119.cms?width=1200&height=900

The old 'prawn cocktail ' .    My one is on a plate, on bed of  shredded lettuce ,  with cocktail sauce plus Tabasco and smoked habanero sauce,  halved black cherry tomatoes and local king prawns

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQebcFMee5KulHTJNNFbhG

(I'm loving these black cherry tomatoes lately )

• Like 4

20 hours ago, dwai said:

Check if you have Indian stores nearby. They usually have good goat meat :)

A Jamaican friend gave me his recipe for curry goat when we lived in London, during the mad cow days.

His main point was to go to Dalston Market and find the halal butchers. One of them would have fat Jamaican ladies in line. This was the line to be in, I was to confirm this with the ladies and get what they told me to get. Any further questions were to be directed to them.

Over the years I've made it many times, finding that halal goat is rather variable, depending on the butcher. 

I had a great guy in Berkeley. 

Edited by Sketch
  • Haha 2