dwai

Indian Martial Arts -- a good resource

I've been following one YouTube channel named "Karate TV" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevnL1_oC_oAEmBnuk-789A) -- its run by a family of martial artists -- the young man is an excellent martial artist and his teacher is his father. The Father is a Karate and Kalari Payyatu exponent from it's native Kerala, and they share very many interesting traditional Indian workout methods and interview Kalari teachers on their programs. 

He does the program in "Hingish" *Hindi and English mixed*, though he speaks in English for the most part. Thought some of you bums might be interested in watching these. 

Spoiler

Here's the first part of a multi-part series they're doing on a 700 year old Kalari (Traditional Indian Martial Arts temple) --

Spoiler

Edited by dwai
  • Thanks 1

That reminds me of this youtube series-  This couple is so earnest and fun to watch.  It slips in some education too.  Here they spend a month learning and living Kalaripayattu from classic South India masters.  Fascinating..  

kinda weaponized yoga :o

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, thelerner said:

That reminds me of this youtube series-  This couple is so earnest and fun to watch.  It slips in some education too.  Here they spend a month learning and living Kalaripayattu from classic South India masters.  Fascinating..  

kinda weaponized yoga :o

Yes I’ve seen this video as well — very good :) 

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

This couple is so earnest and fun to watch.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing.

Everything is very physical.

Physical is fine with me.

But not too much on the mind.

Lovely couple.

- Anand

(They ordered appam for breakfast... and they were eating chapati too...).

• Like 1

This is one of the best online sites I've found for learning Kalaripayattu.

https://kalarilab.org/homepage-2/

I went through a stage about 10 years ago where I was looking everywhere for a teacher of this style. Would have jumped at the chance for this.

Have little appetite for it now, but I enjoyed the first lesson, which is free.

Edit: first 12 lessons are free

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMMeE5Ve9NsyvJ9D1Ckoktw#menu

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

I fought multiple indian guys in my karate class and none of them fought like that. Im sorry but I think thats bunk

7 hours ago, Scholar said:

I fought multiple indian guys in my karate class and none of them fought like that. Im sorry but I think thats bunk

Yeah , thats because you where in a karate  class .     :rolleyes: 

I had a Chinese guy in one of my karate classes ,  he didnt  fight like  a kung fu guy at all . So I guess kung - fu is bunk too  ?   

I bet those Indian guys in your karate class didnt use those long flexible  ' whip swords' either . 

( and I am betting you dont even know why 'karate class guys '  fight the  way they do  )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Nungali said:

Yeah , thats because you where in a karate  class .     :rolleyes: 

I had a Chinese guy in one of my karate classes ,  he didnt  fight like  a kung fu guy at all . So I guess kung - fu is bunk too  ?   

I bet those Indian guys in your karate class didnt use those long flexible  ' whip swords' either . 

( and I am betting you dont even know why 'karate class guys '  fight the  way they do  )

Woah dude, I didnt mean to offend you. You dont need to be rude because you got deceived ,I know it sucks but you shouldnt trust everything you see on the internet. 

Edited by Scholar

2 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Woah dude, I didnt mean to offend you. You dont need to be rude because you got deceived ,I know it sucks but you shouldnt trust everything you see on the internet. 

Stop trolling. 

23 minutes ago, Scholar said:

And you shouldn’t take the smallest conceivable sampling of individuals with a particular genetic heritage (found in a very particular setting), and believe they (and what you are able to witness in the particular setting) in any way shape or form are representative of certain cultural learnings.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Have little appetite for it now, but I enjoyed the first lesson, which is free.

Hi Vajra Fist,

Nothing is free ~ there is no free lunch.

Anyhow... 

BON_001_Shopify_logo_r3_x300.gif?v=1565812544

- Anand

3 hours ago, ilumairen said:

And you shouldn’t take the smallest conceivable sampling of individuals with a particular genetic heritage (found in a very particular setting), and believe they (and what you are able to witness in the particular setting) in any way shape or form are representative of certain cultural learnings.

Hi ilumairen,

We must be careful not to store up the teachings as only conceptual understanding lest that conceptual understanding becomes a block to wisdom.

The teachings are not ideas to be collected, but a path to be followed.

- TWR The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep

Am I trolling?

- Anand

4 hours ago, Scholar said:

I was the one that was deceived  ?     :D

Dont believe everything  you think    about what you see on the internet .

Edited by Nungali

I wonder if this had anything to do with why Alexander the great's men didn't want to go any further once they got to India. Yes I know they had been campaigning for a long time and had been away from home for a long time also, but perhaps this was a contributing factor?

Dwai , I think during the first vid 'empty hand ; techniques were mentioned , but I didnt see any on the video .    Got any of that to post ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Limahong said:

But of course...

Anyone that thinks I really am 'being deceived '  is more than welcome to explain that to me  logically and reasonably  -  if  they are capable of that .

22 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Dwai , I think during the first vid 'empty hand ; techniques were mentioned , but I didnt see any on the video .    Got any of that to post ?

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

Well, I have had my posts trolled before .

but not usually  one  single conjunctive conditional clause  from a post trolled !     :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dwai said:
  Hide contents

Also  .... they are funny  :D

be fun to train with . 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Also  .... they are funny  :D

be fun to train with . 

All the good martial artists (internal and external) seem to have a good sense of humor. If we can't laugh and enjoy what we're doing, if martial arts is a deadly, serious business, there is no joy in it. If there's no joy, then it is not art anymore :D 

• Like 1

Yes,   my instructor vacillates between  laughter and getting pissed off with me   ;)  

here is a fav of mine for  OS visitors  , during training  ( which we do outdoors in nature )

" Oh Look ! A kangaroo is watching us ! "

They turn to look ......    < slash >   ....  down their back with a wooden sword  ( gently , of course   :)  )  . 

• Haha 1

On 1/23/2021 at 2:58 PM, Nungali said:

I was the one that was deceived  ?     :D

Dont believe everything  you think    about what you see on the internet .

From a martial standpoint Kalaripayattu is exponentially less effective than wing chun, tai chi and these mostly unproven Kung fu styles. Kung fu may have been battle ready at one point in the past but it has lost its way. 

Karate on the other hand has many different styles and continues to have a turbulent evolution (right now mostly due to crazy karate politics). A very small minority of fighters use karate and it still has managed to produce champion kick boxers and legendary MMA fighters (yes they DO use karate techniques in their fights). There has even been a few battle hardened karateka that went on to diligently train and learn boxing and eventually become champion boxers as well. You can’t say the same for kalaripayattu. 

I’m not sure what the bias is that some people have against karate especially in MMA. It’s a very defensive style with excellent footwork, evasiveness, parries and powerful counters executed with precision. The conditioning in Kyokushin is unbeatable and some of these guys are very fast too. You don’t have to just take my word for it go and see for yourself!

Edited by Oneironaut

17 hours ago, Oneironaut said:

From a martial standpoint Kalaripayattu is exponentially less effective than wing chun, tai chi and these mostly unproven Kung fu styles. Kung fu may have been battle ready at one point in the past but it has lost its way. 

Karate on the other hand has many different styles and continues to have a turbulent evolution (right now mostly due to crazy karate politics). A very small minority of fighters use karate and it still has managed to produce champion kick boxers and legendary MMA fighters (yes they DO use karate techniques in their fights). There has even been a few battle hardened karateka that went on to diligently train and learn boxing and eventually become champion boxers as well. You can’t say the same for kalaripayattu. 

I’m not sure what the bias is that some people have against karate especially in MMA. It’s a very defensive style with excellent footwork, evasiveness, parries and powerful counters executed with precision. The conditioning in Kyokushin is unbeatable and some of these guys are very fast too. You don’t have to just take my word for it go and see for yourself!

Thanks for the little lecture .......  but ,  what on earth was in  my post that you quoted that you think it  needed this above response ?

And why would  I   need to  not  " ... take my word for it go and see for yourself "   .....  I have been 'going and seeing myself' , practising and studying history and development  of  'karate'  for over  50 years  .

Are you claiming Karate is  'battle ready '    ?    .   Maybe you   can explain why  hliite is used in tsuki during  kihon but not  kumite and especially not in MMA  ?

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2