steve

New Moderator

Please join me in extending a warm welcome to @dwai who has volunteered to join the mod team.

Thank you for offering your services dwai, I look forward to working with you on the team!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, dwai said:

Thanks friends :)

Welcome to the team dwai, and thanks for volunteering your time. Glad to have you onboard.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Avē Cæsar, moritūrī tē salūtant.  :) 

that brings back high school memories.  

As a group of us poorer students would announce before a test-

All Hail Mr. Williams

We who are about to fail, Salute you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, thelerner said:

that brings back high school memories.  

As a group of us poorer students would announce before a test-

All Hail Mr. Williams

We who are about to fail, Salute you!

This brings similar memories.  In college I wrote a poem with that line used in it before an exam in Latin.  Actually, poetry saved me that day.  I was woefully unprepared, and our professor was very intimidating, a perfect match for the course she taught -- she looked like a power drunk Roman legionnaire and dressed it too, at least the sandals were almost exactly the same, and she was merciless.  I was supposed to translate a page from Commentāriī dē Bellō Gallicō by Julius Caesar, it was a written exam with a severe time limit and I was stuck on this one sentence which I couldn't make sense of.  Since I was running out of time, I wound up asserting, in my rushed desperation, that one of Caesar's great generals, Marc Antony, was eaten at the Capitol.  Talk about fake news.  In reality the verb that referred to eating in the passive voice meant that a feast celebrating Marc Antony's victory took place at the Capitol.  The professor shook her head in stern disapproval but then remembered an earlier assignment, a translation from Catullus which I produced a month before, and said that, despite my ineptitude with verb conjugation, I produced the best translation from Catullus she'd ever read anywhere, and gave me the highest grade anyway.  Good old days... :) 

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 8

Ars poetica. The highest art.

@dwai has already been an artful moderator on this forum. Evidenced time and again. Now it is official is all.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Ars poetica. The highest art.

@dwai has already been an artful moderator on this forum. Evidenced time and again. Now it is official is all.

Poetic my ars.

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Apech said:

Poetic my ars.

That’s what they always say...😇

• Like 1