Trunk

Bone broth, ox tail, soups

(at the risk of posting old news, "yeah, everybody knows that".

A couple of days ago I was in the mood to make some ox tail soup.  I do, now and then, especially when I'm feeling that I want to go through a cycle of deep restoration - as it drives energy deeply into the tissues and bones.  As well as circulating nourishing the lower abdomen the way the meaty part of the ox tail does.

Making the soup is an all-day process in the crock pot: 8-9 hours of slow cooking, then cool and - the next morning - put in the refrigerator - and dole it out for various soups over the coming week +.  It's a bit of work.

... but ...  my local store has been out of ox tail for a month!  And I notice that it's been harder to find in general these days.

The butcher pointed to a freezer and said I could get some frozen bone broth there if I wanted.  I've been aware of that option for years but've never tried it because I thought, "no comparison between fresh cooked vs. processed-premade-frozen bone broth".  Boy, was I wrong.

40673442_08980a2b-98b0-447a-8b36-0e9727c

I got this "Signature sippable Bone Broth" made by "Osso Good Co.", $9 bucks.  It's a mix of organic chicken, turkey, pork, & beef bone broth PLUS some seasoning.  First try, I added some to a bowl of soup and *POW!*: it so strongly drew the energy deep that pretty much put me to sleep.  Really.  Since then I've cut the dose down.  AND: it really is sippable!  I can sip a little bit from the spout, straight from the bottle/package.  With the seasoning, it tastes good.  Super convenient, inexpensive.  This is a strong herb.

This sippable (seasoning + spout) bone broth is something I can easily have around all the time, and then just make ox tail soup when I'm in the mood for it.  Always (eventually) learning.  :)

- Trunk

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Whats the full ingredient list?

does it have any chemical additives

also curious why do you call it a herb?

ive been looking At a  croq pot to make bone broth in.

but havent been able to find a place to get organic bones to draw from.

buying all the Biological chicken  every Week gets very expensive, 

how much bone would you say is needed to get the medicinal/nourishing and gut repairing effects of bone broth?

Edited by Takingcharge

Bone broths are really great for cultivators - on many levels. Highly recommended!

6 hours ago, Takingcharge said:

but havent been able to find a place to get organic bones to draw from.

buying all the Biological chicken  every Week gets very expensive,

Find a supplier that will send you a box full of feet and necks - they're the best for broths. And very cheap if you shop around. Don't use a whole chicken. Also beef bones work well. Roast them in the oven for a bit before boiling for extra taste.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Bone broth and vegetable stocks have been a big deal in my kitchen for years. In a small company,  the players all have more than one role; the young princess chicken this weekend is starring in next weeks soup. The onion skins add color and depth to the broth. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, freeform said:

Bone broths are really great for cultivators - on many levels. Highly recommended!

Find a supplier that will send you a box full of feet and necks - they're the best for broths. And very cheap if you shop around. Don't use a whole chicken. Also beef bones work well. Roast them in the oven for a bit before boiling for extra taste.

yeah, im planning on making it a standard part of my life, to just brew a weeks worth and take a cup on an empty stomach everyday  using it medicinally / nutritionally

and maybe then sometimes make some extra to make a proper soup or stew for dinner

i looked around today, found 3 kilo for 12 euros, around that mark.  Delivery cost is twice the price of the bones :lol:

its grass fed organic packs of bones, tendons and ribs.

not sure about necks and feets they didnt mention those

i also saw oxtail and tongue although tongue doesnt have bones so probably isnt that much of a soup thing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Takingcharge said:

Delivery cost is twice the price of the bones :lol:

Yeah that’s normal.

When in Europe, I get a number of local butchers to hold back leftover bones (I pretend it’s for ‘my dog’ - so they don’t ask too many questions)...

If you go to Caribbean or African neighbourhoods, they’ll often sell ‘cow feet’ or ‘cow heel’ - which are basically the really gelatinous parts of the lower leg - the joint capsule, cleaned hoof etc. That makes a very collagen and gelatine rich broth.

In Asia it’s impossible to cook stock for 48hrs indoors... so I go to a lady who runs a congee stall. I just pay her to cook an extra thick stock for me once every couple of weeks (the standard one for her congee is cooked for 8hrs - mine she cooks for a couple of days).

She tends to invite her girlfriends to come see the crazy foreigner on days I pick it up :) (I play up to the role of course - wouldn’t want to disappoint!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3