Sign in to follow this  
Ajay0

Brahmakumaris on the cyclical nature of time in Greek, Roman, Indian philosophy

An insightful artice by Anthony Strano of the Prajapita Brahmakumaris on the the cyclical nature of time as emphasized by the ancient Greek, Roman and Indian philosophies. Anthony Strano was the Director of the Prajapita Brahmakumaris in Greece, and studied religion and philosophy at the University of Sydney.

https://aboutbrahmakumaris.org/time-and-transformation/

One of the core teachings of the Prajapita Brahmakumaris is the reality of eternal recurrence. What has happened will continue to happen an infinite number of times, due to the cyclical nature of time.

This is also echoed in the ancient Indian, Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Hebrew (Ecclesiastes),Mayan and Aztec philosophies as well.

The nineteenth century philosophy Friedrich Nietzche also held this concept of "eternal recurrence" central in his writings.

Hindu philosophy states that there are four yugas or ages in nature charecterising human civilization . They are the Satya Yuga (Golden Age), Treta Yuga (silver age), Dwapara Yuga (Bronze Age) and Kali Yuga (Iron Age).

The Roman Ovid (43 BC – 17/18AD), in his poem “Metamorphoses”, wrote of the four ages of human civilization. Similarly the Greek writer Hesiod in his 800 line epic poem called 'Works and Days', tells about the five ages of man(Golden,Silver, Bronze, Heroic and Iron Age).

In Europe, the concept fell into disuse until it reemerged with the Italian Renaissance which rediscovered ancient Roman and Greek thought and was further invigorated by Nietzche's own writings based on it.

• Thanks 1

The cyclical nature of the seasonal procession seems like an indicator of this inherent cyclical nature of the manifest, to me.  A Spiral Progression.

As I move through the process of my life here, these cycles reflect internally as well, within my own individual awareness are the ages of the spiral progression reflected within my own process.

As within, without.  As above, below.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

This makes me think of two things.

In the book of Daniel in the Hebrew bible Daniel saw a statue that was made from top to bottom gold, silver, bronze, and iron. Later in the book each element was said to be a kingdom.

The other are the three ages of Buddhism of which we are said to live in the third.

A subset of this would be the Kali yuga of Hindu thought.

I also remember a while back when watching Battlestar Galactica thinking it was really interesting when they kept saying all this had happened before and it would all happen again.

Sign in to follow this