thelerner

Chatbox for the site

New member Milo mentioned this to me-
wouldnt a chatbox be a great addition to the forum or maybe a discord server ? :)

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7465-chatbox-free/

Years ago it was nice to have an active chat feature, another way for members to connect.  Though it was not without its controversies.  Don't know how much work it'd be to add this on, but thought I'd pass it on.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, thelerner said:

New member Milo mentioned this to me-
wouldnt a chatbox be a great addition to the forum or maybe a discord server ? :)

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7465-chatbox-free/

Years ago it was nice to have an active chat feature, another way for members to connect.  Though it was not without its controversies.  Don't know how much work it'd be to add this on, but thought I'd pass it on.  

:D Are we *SURE* we want to go down that path? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dwai said:

:D Are we *SURE* we want to go down that path? 

I'd say yes.. until calls come that it was creating cult members. 

then i'd want a cut

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have no interest in participating or the extra work of maintenance and moderating. I don’t think there is much support among mods and active admin currently. One can always pray, you never know what the changing winds may bring.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How about making a novel derivative of Chatbox?

I propose a Scatbox where people could press a button, and — Ah! Voilà! — a fresh unicode turd appears on the top of the chat list. There would be no way to enter any other symbols and only one to three randomly designated turds per day are allowed per the common wisdom about healthy bowel movement.

💩

On particularly grisly days when all TDB seems to be brimming with speech lower than the toilet standard, the Scatbox would bring delight, improve morale, and elevate the overall level of user contribution.

• Haha 1

Funny how people love to shit-talk about TDBs but continue to show up nonetheless...

It reminds me of the Howard Stern movie. In it they talk about his ratings. 

The people who hated him tuned in more often and for longer than the people who loved him.

When asked why they tune in both groups gave the same reply - I want to hear what he says next!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, steve said:

Funny how people love to shit-talk about TDBs but continue to show up nonetheless...

Was that meant for me and my piece of shitatire? Seriously, it was only meant to make fun of the people's want of new features.

I actually think that TDB is very good for the broad ranged discussion forum it is. If there are hard feelings about something I have said unfavorably about TDB quality in the past, then I must confess that I have moved on and forgotten about those issues entirely.

Maybe there is something worth visiting or picking on about the past, but I'm not able to know what's the issue unless it's brought to my attention.

Edited by virtue
crucial typo

2 hours ago, virtue said:

On particularly grisly days when all TDB seems to be brimming with speech lower than the toilet standard, the Scatbox would bring delight, improve morale, and elevate the overall level of user contribution.

8 minutes ago, steve said:

1 minute ago, virtue said:

Was that meant for me and my piece of shitatire? 

Of course, among others

You just referred to the standard of speech at TDBs as toilet standard.

That is insulting to the members and mods alike.

I have no old grudges to bear, only responding to what you are posting in this thread.

And it's not only you.

Lots of folks seem to have this love-hate relationship with the forum, like an addiction, myself included.

It's very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steve said:

That is insulting to the members and mods alike.

4 minutes ago, steve said:

Lots of folks seem to have this love-hate relationship with the forum, like an addiction, myself included.

It's very interesting.

Was it completely lost to you that I was making the same commentary that you spelled out straight?

21 minutes ago, Apech said:

I regard 'toilet standard' as a compliment.

I understand your hint about basic needs serviced. Here you go, my good sir.

576px-A_cat_using_an_automated_fully-plu

On a more serious side, I meant for the phrase "lower than the toilet standard" refer to time and place when discussion shoots down to hell and people get angry or hateful with each other. Can't get worse than that, in my opinion, to make enemies on a friendly discussion forum. I would rather have toilet humor and casual nonsensical posts instead, even if it meant equating the TDB standard as the toilet standard.

I appreciate that. I guess I can get overly sensitive and defensive sometimes. We’ve put a lot of work into making the forum a better place and I tend to be that way online, not so much in person. Sorry if I was harsh.

🙏🏽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3