Wilhelm

Key 'Stats' for Cultivators

For those without a nerdy bone in their body, I'll start with a quick explanation using the analogy of a role playing game.

There are a range of stats that the player can develop in their character (things like strength, intelligence, charisma etc.).  'Leveling up' these stats develops those qualities in your character, and depending on the game usually leads to specific capacities related to what those stats represent (i.e. when your character grows in strength they're able to carry more stuff).  Depending on the character class chosen (i.e. whether you play as a fighter or priest or whatever) there are an ideal set of 'Stats' to 'level up' to maximize your character's potential.  I quite like this analogy when applied to the disciplines of self development and spiritual development - because its already out quite clearly (in Daoism anyways, and from a cursory glance Buddhist 'lists' as well) that there are specific stats, or qualities, necessary for cultivation.

Unlike the RPG analogy, it seems that certain stats become more useful at certain stages of your development (we could say that you only need to 'level up' strength to a certain point, after which it becomes counterproductive).

Applying this to a 'formula' for cultivation then becomes a big task - first of all, there is a laundry list of qualities/stats required for certain levels of meditation (i.e. Jhana, Samadhi), and second of all - how does one 'level up' in real life?

I have some thoughts around the current formula of 'Stats'/qualities that apply to my own cultivation, as well as the means used to develop them (internal and external), but I was hoping to open it up to you guys to hear your thoughts on the matter.

To give an example, I could tell you that I'm currently focused on developing (amongst other things, and in no particular order):

Mental qualities like focus, concentration, mental stabilisation

Emotional qualities like gratitude

More general qualities like humor and humility

As these all directly come from my line of study, maintaining this 'formula' allows me to maximize my 'Character's' potential within this specific system.  If I were to deviate and focus on qualies like book knowledge and physical strength, there would be less harmony between me and this tradition.

The means I'm using to 'level up' include:

Specific exercises I've been taught that develop some of those qualities individually

Studying classical texts and their relation to these qualities

Adjustment of behavior in daily life to attempt to use these qualities (i.e. playing Chess or doing other attention-demanding tasks to improve concentration)

Do you have an ideal 'formula' of stats/qualities that apply to your current cultivation?  What about the 'key stats' that relate to your specific line/tradition (that you're able to share, anyways)?  And what are your means to 'level them up'?

Phew, that's a lot of nerding for first thing in the morning!

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Like 8

Grading myself that way is one of the behaviors I've worked to get out of in order to level up.

Edited by Sketch
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Grading myself that way is one of the behaviors I've worked to get out of in order to level up.

Different stokes for different folks!  Treating my training like I'm playing an RPG is one of the only leftovers from when I used to play video games that's proved to be very helpful in my self-development

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Like 1

I can dig it. Playing a bard in tabletop d&d as a teen gave me a platform to work out a lot of things.

Naturally this principle can be applied to your whole life and skill in any field of study. Leveling up in the Business world or in your ability in carpentry. I made a post about this awhile back in my PPD making a similar comparison. 

There are too many different dimensions of cultivation to make some kind of "standard chart". Suffice to say each individual has his own "base stats" at the beginning of the game and areas that he is naturally inclined. It's important that the individual first assess his beginning of the game natural affinities....Incarnation Stats. 

Once you discover your naturally abilities...its important to invest skill points in leveling up that particular tree. Some "common" skill trees in the area of cultivation are: Healing, Divination, Martial Arts, Mantra, Astral Projection....etc. In this game though....the skill levels have no cap. 

• Like 3

Good self awareness and judgement. I've been told that high level cultivation is done throughout the day in each and every moment, and that these will make sure that you stay on the right track as you interact with the world. 

Oh, and some luck in order to find a genuine method to cultivate. 

Edited by CozySpace
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, freeform said:

There are so many... and each level of a quality has sub levels.

Going through what I’m working on will make little sense to most (“gathering Shen to nurture the Qi” for example).

So I’ll mention some (just a taste) of the early to intermediate levels:

Ting

1) listening with your ears

2) listening with your heart

3) listening with your breath

Structure

0) stretch and create ease in the body

1) line up the bones

2) open the joints

3) muscles hang off bones

4) connection to the floor

5) maintain structure while moving

Connection (through sung)

1) connect jing jin

a. Relaxed

b. Floaty

c. Inner stretch

2) create space (disconnects)

3) reconnect

4) eat bitter

a. Iron cables

5) compression

6) more bitter

jing jin 

1) sink chest

2) adhere to the back

3) spread through the back

4) rise through Chong mai

5) lengthen jing jin

6) awaken jing jin

7) stress jing jin

awaken energy body

1) open Yong quan

2) open the kua

3) activate the lower field

4) small water wheel

5) congenital rotations

6) side branches

7) dai mai

8) Chong mai

These are qualities rather than techniques... though there are techniques to build these qualities.

Whatever my levels elsewhere,  low level would be an apt description here.

Edited by Sketch

On 1/10/2021 at 12:05 PM, CozySpace said:

Good self awareness and judgement. I've been told that high level cultivation is done throughout the day in each and every moment, and that these will make sure that you stay on the right track as you interact with the world. 

Oh, and some luck in order to find a genuine method to cultivate.

Yep. Some people are born with luck.

• Like 2

On 2021/1/11 at 1:05 AM, CozySpace said:

..I've been told that high level cultivation is done throughout the day in each and every moment, and that these will make sure that you stay on the right track as you interact with the world. 

Death is not something happens in  future , some many years away ;  death happens right  at and because of our everyday   mediocrity  . This  is why people  say : " You can't  deviate from  Tao even for a minute of time "  .  Always stay on the highland , in a high energy  status so that everyday scenario , our habits and emotions not  making us  leak our jing, qi and  shen ; without such a discipline and self-awareness , we  are doomed  to succumb to aging , diseases and death .

Edited by exorcist_1699

Everyone is different. Stick to the classics as freeform suggest. You are the possibility and only you know if it is positive or negative to ones own life.

Stats maybe good for the OP (your own progress) but will stagnate and create obstacles for others to achieve growth.