thelerner

Gaming Corner- What's your game

Maybe we can get people meeting up and playing games together during the lockdown.  

I'm a Mac user.  Got Steam.  Intimidated by Valve's Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2.  My kids are experts at them though.  It'd be fun to learn with other newbs who don't mind an older slower player. I grew with simple top down games.  I remember being in awe of Space Invaders and Galaxian.  My fingers and brain don't react as well to 3D.  

Any Steam games recommended?  

Also an Ocular Quest II VR user.  I love it, remarkable technology.  I play Drop Dead and Arizona Sunshine, two zombie games that are multi-player.  Be fun to hook up with another player.  

How about you guys.  What's your system, what do you play?

• Like 6

I maintain a small rented island on the Second Life mainland. Visitors could be...interesting. 

island_001.png

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

I play almost all genres grew up in the glorious times of Real time Strategy games and First person shooters :)

@thelerner you should explore the infinite worlds of Vrchat with your oculus quest if you find the time the game is free (its basically a social meetup game where users can create their own worlds and avatars theres alot to see from japanese temple to huge fantasy worlds)

If anyone wants to play we probably can find a game we have in common either pm me or add me on discord Milo#8844

• Thanks 1

We got the first generation Oculus. I thought it was the closest experience I've had to lucid dreaming while awake. It is interesting to see how, given enough time, one reifies and solidifies literal light into solid objects. I was playing this game where I tried to lean on a bar and was surprised to find that it could not support my body. I think there is a lot of potential, but it's not quite there yet. 

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 1:55 PM, Sketch said:

I maintain a small rented island on the Second Life mainland. Visitors could be...interesting. 

island_001.png

I had no idea Second Life was still going! I used to play this about 15 years ago.

I recently bought a gaming laptop and have been trying to figure out how to play Total War Warhammer (always been a big fan of the tabletop game). Also bought Assassins Creed Valhalla, which is incredible and also a little terrifying as a testament to how far games have come since I last played with any regularity (Sega Megadrive/Genesis as a kid)

On 16/01/2021 at 2:17 PM, forestofemptiness said:

We got the first generation Oculus. I thought it was the closest experience I've had to lucid dreaming while awake. It is interesting to see how, given enough time, one reifies and solidifies literal light into solid objects. I was playing this game where I tried to lean on a bar and was surprised to find that it could not support my body. I think there is a lot of potential, but it's not quite there yet. 

Reminds me of this classic scene 

Definitely want to get an oculus. They look incredible

• Like 2

I'm an avid collector of consoles and card systems and board games.

Particularly the recreations of ancient games.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

What if all of the "deaths" you've been responsible for in the various games you play are actually attributed as actual murders when they weigh your soul against a feather (or whatever you believe)?

Purely an intellectual pursuit here to get you all to think outside of the frame as its an entirely viable possibility when you consider games take place in their own "world" and the (soon to be) AI assisted characters by default will have some rudimentary subjective experience/feels much like our own.

What if we're actually in a game with really good graphics? Are we playing or getting played?

2 minutes ago, Seeking said:

What if all of the "deaths" you've been responsible for in the various games you play are actually attributed as actual murders when they weigh your soul against a feather (or whatever you believe)?

Purely an intellectual pursuit here to get you all to think outside of the frame as its an entirely viable possibility when you consider games take place in their own "world" and the (soon to be) AI assisted characters by default will have some rudimentary subjective experience/feels much like our own.

What if we're actually in a game with really good graphics? Are we playing or getting played?

That's either Ender's Game or Star Ocean: Til The End of Time.

7 minutes ago, Iliketurtles said:

ChronoTrigger.

Hell. F**king. Yes. And Final Fantasy VI. and EarthBound.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 8:17 AM, forestofemptiness said:

Just had my first Oculus VR injury.  Not the Zombie games like In Death Unchained or Arizona Sunshine or the boxing game, Thrill of the Fight, rather the seemingly benign Eleven, ping pong.  The computer lobbed it high and shallow, just past the net.  I reached and reached, instinctively put my hand on the virtual table to stabilize and fell forward.  A small scream as my hand went through the table and louder one when I hit the floor. 

Next time, I'll step through the table, taking advantage of being a material man in a material world. 

I assume my practice in virtual ping pong is making me a better player in real life.  It's a little more dubious but I think my marksmanship is improved by all the gun and bow & arrow play.  Though in the zombie games without a laser pointed gun, shooting at multiple advancing targets is difficult.  Letting me realize how much goes into accurate marksmanship under distance and (imaginary) stress.   Death Unchained often has me balanced precariously on rooftops and rails quite often, so maybe my comfort with heights is getting better.. maybe.  i won't know til the zombie apocalypse starts. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

RPG is my favorite genre.Character creation, skilltrees(or better yet, mix-n-match unrelated skills for a customized "tree") and a rich backstory are my jam.

FPS comes in second place, as I do enjoy games with action, kind of a reason why a rich game like "Control" has become a favorite.

Although I am still faithful to the trilogy of Mass Effect, Control comes close.

Horizon Zero Dawn is awesome too.

Overall, I prefer games where I can go my own pace and play solo, but I can make exceptions for multiplayer games that caught my attention.

I would like to try to play some MILSIM with games like "Squad", "Arma" and such, but I just do not have the tactical mind nor experience to actually do it...maybe in the future.But not now.

Lately I have been playing oldies like "Prototype", "The Chronicles of Riddick", "Second Sight" and some point and click adventure games.

I have no experience with TTRPG(neither as player nor as DM/GM/Storyteller/Etc.), but I do have the material of ones I would like to try one day.Mostly from the World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness(Werewolf, Mage, Demon...heck, maybe even Promethean or Mummy), but there are others like Dark Matter, City of Mist and Shadowrun.

On thing right now getting a hold of decent gaming hardware is super expensive.

I subscribe to a service called Shadow Tech, which let's you stream a mid range gaming pc, for $30 a month. 

I like it, I don't have to worry about hardware upgrades.

I just keep running an old machine and keep a decent fiber optic connection, and my games stream much like netflix.

On 2/5/2022 at 2:51 PM, Shadao said:

RPG is my favorite genre.Character creation, skilltrees(or better yet, mix-n-match unrelated skills for a customized "tree") and a rich backstory are my jam.

FPS comes in second place, as I do enjoy games with action, kind of a reason why a rich game like "Control" has become a favorite.

Although I am still faithful to the trilogy of Mass Effect, Control comes close.

Horizon Zero Dawn is awesome too.

Overall, I prefer games where I can go my own pace and play solo, but I can make exceptions for multiplayer games that caught my attention.

I would like to try to play some MILSIM with games like "Squad", "Arma" and such, but I just do not have the tactical mind nor experience to actually do it...maybe in the future.But not now.

Lately I have been playing oldies like "Prototype", "The Chronicles of Riddick", "Second Sight" and some point and click adventure games.

I have no experience with TTRPG(neither as player nor as DM/GM/Storyteller/Etc.), but I do have the material of ones I would like to try one day.Mostly from the World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness(Werewolf, Mage, Demon...heck, maybe even Promethean or Mummy), but there are others like Dark Matter, City of Mist and Shadowrun.

HZD IS THE SHIZNIT!!!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Iliketurtles said:

HZD IS THE SHIZNIT!!!

It is! And your buddy is the one who recommended it to me, a guy who loved caffeine, was totally right about what made it awesome.

I have many favourites:

Open world games/RPG - Saint's Row, GTA, Watch Dogs: Legion, Cyberpunk 2077, Far Cry, Fallout, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Mount and Blade

City Building - Cities Skylines, Sim City

Strategy/4X - Civilization, Crusader Kings, Humankind

RTS - Age of Empires, Total War

Survival - Conan Exiles

I much prefer single player than multiplayer, and love games where you can customise everything.

Skyrim especially is a magical game, there's something crazy about it. If you have the chance to play it in VR I highly recommend it. 

If anyone here is from South East Asia and likes medieval sword fighting games, check out the Suvarnabhumi Mahayuth mod for Mount and Blade: Warband. The graphics suck because it's an old game but it's amazing to have a game set in mainland South East Asia for once (only the island countries are not in the game, unfortunately for Indonesians and Filipinos). The gameplay is fun too, you start off as a peasant and can eventually work your way up to leading a kingdom, either by joining an existing one and marrying a princess or you can start your own! Check it out here: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1