I read something a few years ago that gave me an idea for a Wuxia drama. Chinese emperors often referred to themselves as the "lonely man" (guaren, 寡人; sometimes rendered as gujia guaren, 孤家寡人), i.e. "it's lonely at the top". "The Lonely Man" would be a great title for an undefeated martial artist, one who reigns supreme over a fighting competition for so long he is bestowed the title. The story would revolve around other martial artists competing in order to move up the ranks and finally face him in the hopes of taking the title for themselves. Thoughts?

A battle Royale situation, with mythic overtones, like the story of Rex Nemorensis that forms the central theme of Fraziers "Golden Bough".

Ultimately, that priesthood became subject to political control. Outside parties just sending assasins they thought could take the "reigning champ".

image.png.77b8d02810216e6f6c8816de96a5e729.png

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

With perhaps a whiff of Emperor Georgiou . I'd watch it just to see Michelle Yeoh kick people.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 1:41 AM, Sketch said:

A battle Royale situation, with mythic overtones, like the story of Rex Nemorensis that forms the central theme of Fraziers "Golden Bough".

Ultimately, that priesthood became subject to political control. Outside parties just sending assasins they thought could take the "reigning champ".

On 1/9/2021 at 1:55 AM, Sketch said:

With perhaps a whiff of Emperor Georgiou . I'd watch it just to see Michelle Yeoh kick people.

Perfection. Somebody call the Shaw Brothers.

• Like 1