Mig

Does luck exist?

I've wondering if luck exists or is it an incident in life weren't aware because we're overwhelmed by the superficialities of life and all the excuses we keep inventing or creating problems without knowing the consequences or how to handle life. Not sure what far east thoughts on luck if luck exists 

1 hour ago, Mig said:

I've wondering if luck exists or is it an incident in life weren't aware because we're overwhelmed by the superficialities of life and all the excuses we keep inventing or creating problems without knowing the consequences or how to handle life. Not sure what far east thoughts on luck if luck exists 

An interesting topic.  I'd say there is greater and lesser order, and variables that depend upon the level and scale  that laws of universe are in effect for given times and places,  with people being part of the that.   For instance and on an elemental level one could watch waves braking on a shoreline along with looking for patterns to same.   All the waves would generally be braking the same yet there was an occasional and unexpected wave or set of waves.  When I was a surfer years ago we would intently focus on watching the wave patterns and timings so we could position ourselves for the best waves yet there were moments when the waves caught us by surprise and either went lull or grew in size and became more desirable.  Such occurrences didn't last long before all the surf returned to the general level it had been for that day. The thing is to get in and be in position for the better than unexpected waves one almost had to have  a 6th sense like feeling for its coming.   So was such a surfer "lucky" or tuned in for being in the right place at the right time during the convergence of normally unpredictable variables?   (as for bad luck this idea could be reversed if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time)

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 2

I certainly behave as if luck were real.

My family has a line of successful gamblers.  Usually at things attributable to skill.

I decided not to gamble at all, to cultivate that lucky streak where it matters.

My great good fortune in friendships, relationships and the way my wayward adventures have turned out so far, seems very lucky to me.

• Like 3

From a favorite author of mine on chance/luck: 

"Chance ... is a word used to excuse oneself for not understanding, or to explain acts, objects and events that occur and which are not easily explained, as “games of chance,” or “chance happenings.” But there is no such thing as chance, in the sense that a happening could have happened in any other way than it did, independent of law and order. Every act of chance, such as the flipping of a coin, the turning of a card, the throwing of a die, happens according to certain laws and in order, whether they are according to laws of physics or laws of knavery and trickery. If what is called chance were independent of law, there would be no dependable laws of nature. Then there would be no certainty of the seasons, of day and night. These are laws which we more or less understand, just as are “chance” happenings, which we do not take enough trouble to understand."

• Like 3

In my opinion and study there is no law of attraction or 'manifestation' neither. Time and Space are naturally multipathed / faced but one (direction - velocity, hence Energy).

When we 'manifest' we simply change perception. Perhaps there are beings out there that can travel in space and time. But we do not have the possibility based on how we are configured right now....merely to flow from instance to another in this river of lights (possibilities).

An example. When I was a teenager I met a youtube video about this dude describing weed to 'beginners'. It had like thousands or millions of views, he made it funny and all that.

It captivated my curiosity. Never before had I been approached by weed dealers in my area/school anywhere ever. In the next 6 months some 14 weed dealers approached me, in the park, at the shop out of nowhere, I was even with friends like a week after that video, some 3 separate people walking by us asked us, or me, if we wanted to buy and took their number. My friend exclaimed wtf, so many weedealers out of nowhere.

It stopped after a while and never since had I been approached. Similarly I've used this level of curiosity/will to run into or stay away from some 'old friends' that still lived in my area for years but I stopped seeing them.

Same with luck - it's in the mindset - Double-Slit experiment - change what you're 'observing' :)

- I suspect it's a DNA based phenomena, not purely energetical. Hence it's not 'thoughts' that 'manifest' but ...something else, which can be simply thought of as the subconsciouss mind.

Anyway, being DNA based could explain why the whole Annunaki craze, animals and perhaps many other aliens cannot navigate timespace with the same efficiency as our DNA :) also can explain why luck for a specific activity can run in families. It also has to do with the being in the presence of someone 'observing' their luck towards being a thief or whatever they believe themselves to be awesome in. You are naturally drawn into that observation....

Edited by EmeraldHead
ok, finished editing now

Why would I do that? I'm on a lucky streak.

Edited by Sketch

The scientist in me says no.  Luck is a word we use for events that fall on the far sides of the probability curve. 

Whereas the regular me thinks, sure.  There are times I've been quite lucky.  Matter of fact an almost dependable luck.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anshino23 said:

"Chance ... is a word used to excuse oneself for not understanding, or to explain acts, objects and events that occur and which are not easily explained, as “games of chance,” or “chance happenings.”

This was my understanding as well.  The law is 'cause and effect', and if the chain of events is complicated enough that we can't identify the causes, we call the event 'luck'.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mig said:

I've wondering if luck exists or is it an incident in life weren't aware because we're overwhelmed by the superficialities of life and all the excuses we keep inventing or creating problems without knowing the consequences or how to handle life

image.png.f4a5dfca5b7797234ef324da687a78b6.png

12 hours ago, Mig said:

. Not sure what far east thoughts on luck if luck exists 

tenor.gif

13 hours ago, thelerner said:

The scientist in me says no.  Luck is a word we use for events that fall on the far sides of the probability curve. 

Whereas the regular me thinks, sure.  There are times I've been quite lucky.  Matter of fact an almost dependable luck.  

Precisely, we can argue that average or median are inevitable so luck doesn't exist. If you have touched bottom in life for reasons that you created yourself and then things go down hill, then is bad luck, but if you keep doing what should be right for you, assuming you are doing the right thing as not getting worse financially or mentally, then there is a chance that you encounter the right situation and that is where you jump in. It seems that luck could be those unpredictable moments in life that if you are there, you catch it. There should be a reason each culture has luck in their repertoire of beliefs.

56 minutes ago, Mig said:

There should be a reason each culture has luck in their repertoire of beliefs.

I heard a Christian priest once say that Luck used to be a Babyloan/Mesopotanian God. He advised his followers to stop referring to luck and to their God instead.

Spoiler

image.png.640d6333bca4d79f902b3d8f1cc22c85.png

Edited by EmeraldHead

6 hours ago, Mig said:

assuming you are doing the right thing as not getting worse financially or mentally, then there is a chance that you encounter the right situation

i think this is on going in each second as the day unfolds.

and what are peoples individual goals? speaking only for myself

do I have the ability to honor myself with respect and why am I so hard on myself.

this is my world view.

how do I do this now? I take full responsibility for my life. on the business front I give my best and it shows.

even if my life is down trodden and simple--

let me look outside again because the hawk did soar a little higher.

Wish I could find it, but Taomeow had some fascinating views on Daoism and luck.  I wish I remembered more but Daoism has a system for creating luck.  Heck its what amulets and Fu's are all about.  

I dont know FU and I really dont have amulet.

I have a few really good snapshots and just mowing the lawn and maintaining some semblence ? of order.

I dont  know.

I have a shit load of four and five leaf clovers my son found. I think I mentioned that? maybe

I think meeting luck takes preparation and I think I just create what is necessary as I follow along my path 

as best I can negotiate. I am looking at you with much trepidation. movie or no movie.

I am in the river of uncertainty,,,, as how life has been.

I have maybe nature amulets. I find them as I go along mostly hearts.

lots and lot of hearts. really cool baby turtle shell. I have the photo but lost actual shell in the shed. bout the size of nickel

it looks scary on the underside. like a person like a wizard but I dont like that but its fascinating.

I have  small piece of turquoise as well. when times are real bad-- good and earthy and its love

I see a significant amount of things people do not see. atleast I dont see anyone seeing like I do..

why am I lucky finding simple gifts from nature? I believe I try to work for the highest good.

Edited by sagebrush

18 hours ago, thelerner said:

Wish I could find it, but Taomeow had some fascinating views on Daoism and luck.  I wish I remembered more but Daoism has a system for creating luck.  Heck its what amulets and Fu's are all about.  

Do you remember what it was? Are you also talking about Majosi, the guy nobody likes and considered fake? This question about creating luck has made me ponder, why do we say I am lucky or someone is lucky and all I can think, we look for that balance, a better way that the usual way. And why do we say bad luck? Some people live in misery or we fall in misery because our own mistakes and some will get out of that and get better. Would I prefer living in a car, which I did because my mistakes or living in a house with a garden living comfortably? I would prefer living comfortably with all the necessary items and keep going then I see opportunities arise and new good things happen. Thus, we create our intention and grab what is good for us then we call it luck.

Maybe I was thinking of this post..

or from this interview with her- https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/35367-taomeow-ttb-interview/

"..

9. You talk about ganying.  Which feels to me a little like luck.  How do we increase ganying or synchronicities in our life?

Ganying is certainly an important component of “luck,” but “luck” is, in and of itself, a major notion of traditional taoist thought -- and a separate science, an application of certain universal  relativistic, stochastic principles to personal human concerns.  Ganying is understood as a kind of resonance, a fractal of reflections of events and phenomena into different scales and dimensions which on some level appear “similar,” “related,” “patterned on each other” and on some other level, blatantly “the same” – like the sound produced by plucking a string is the same sound of the same string whether you hear it from within one inch or one foot or a hundred feet away from the source.  Whether there’s an amplifier in between or a soundproof wall. 

To learn to discern ganying, resonating meaningful relatedness of phenomena that don’t appear related to a superficial analysis by inadequate methods -- “coincidences,” “similarities,” “sameness” of phenomena -- one needs to learn to listen.  It’s like with music – you recognize a melody, and then a style, and then a performer, and then an emotional or creative or mood-affecting, heart-affecting, etc., impact of music on your life, by listening, paying attention, and internalizing the patterns.  Perhaps you can even learn to play an instrument.  Perhaps you can become a true virtuoso if you practice daily and put your body and soul into the practice.  Then you won’t have to rely on luck to hear your favorite guitar piece or violin concerto – you can produce it, anytime you like.  That’s the relationship between ganying and luck.."

<brilliant stuff, imo>

We have one word for luck and tend not to delve into it to much.  Interesting to see other cultures and how they relate to luck.  The closet I get to it, is when I play Life as Dream; looking at life, interpreting it, as if it was dream.  Where happenings are full of symbolism, messages and synchronicities. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2021 at 6:55 PM, thelerner said:

To learn to discern ganying, resonating meaningful relatedness of phenomena that don’t appear related to a superficial analysis by inadequate methods -- “coincidences,” “similarities,” “sameness” of phenomena -- one needs to learn to listen.  It’s like with music – you recognize a melody, and then a style, and then a performer, and then an emotional or creative or mood-affecting, heart-affecting, etc., impact of music on your life, by listening, paying attention, and internalizing the patterns.  Perhaps you can even learn to play an instrument.  Perhaps you can become a true virtuoso if you practice daily and put your body and soul into the practice.  Then you won’t have to rely on luck to hear your favorite guitar piece or violin concerto – you can produce it, anytime you like.  That’s the relationship between ganying and luck.."

<brilliant stuff, imo>

We have one word for luck and tend not to delve into it to much.  Interesting to see other cultures and how they relate to luck.  The closet I get to it, is when I play Life as Dream; looking at life, interpreting it, as if it was dream.  Where happenings are full of symbolism, messages and synchronicities. 

I totally do not treat life as a dream, like any kind of deliberate mind exercise, but I experience synchronicities and it fills me with sadness, loneliness and frustration when I try to share it with those involved but only reap silence. I have made a quite consistent chain of experiences of this realm being incompatible. It's like NPCs everywhere. You say a bit too much and you break their little scared-puppy brains.

And so those things I see become like a torture. They contain profound implications but they accumulate within me and nothing ever comes from it that could give me any consolation, hope or other type of empowerment.

This world is also supposed to have avenues to help, but they, too, seem embedded in the sick structures and thus become part of that grotesque expression of corruption, where those who actually manage to find the help they need didn't need it in the first place because they managed to wade through all that shit to 'get help'.

Imagine that state of loneliness. You on one side and the entire fucking universe on the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Owledge said:

I totally do not treat life as a dream, like any kind of deliberate mind exercise, but I experience synchronicities and it fills me with sadness, loneliness and frustration when I try to share it with those involved but only reap silence. I have made a quite consistent chain of experiences of this realm being incompatible. It's like NPCs everywhere. You say a bit too much and you break their little scared-puppy brains.

And so those things I see become like a torture. They contain profound implications but they accumulate within me and nothing ever comes from it that could give me any consolation, hope or other type of empowerment.

This world is also supposed to have avenues to help, but they, too, seem embedded in the sick structures and thus become part of that grotesque expression of corruption, where those who actually manage to find the help they need didn't need it in the first place because they managed to wade through all that shit to 'get help'.

Imagine that state of loneliness. You on one side and the entire fucking universe on the other.

hello, sir

what do you get from this point of view?

48 minutes ago, Indiken said:

hello, sir

what do you get from this point of view?

How could I answer that if I am not motivated by it?

It is its own expression. The messages contained should be blatantly clear.

Or do you mean that will come of it? Well, in lack of feasible alternatives, after much life lessons, it always brings me back to simply be myself and express that. Seems to me that is the most authentic communication of reality; my part of it as a contribution to the whole.

Can you accept that so that change can occur?

2 minutes ago, Indiken said:

i am a fool 

What answer do you want from me?

to the best of my abilities:

i can insult you

i can praise you

i can question you

i can offer you some material, which will explain better your state

so on...

i here to learn my lessions from you

this will be a lession even if you will not answer

I am not interested in talking to fools. They are abundant and thus naturally I had an abudance of study with and about them.

And of course we can see folly as a scale and call everybody a fool, but this kind of nitpicky refusal to read between the lines would be folly.

1 minute ago, Owledge said:

I am not interested in talking to fools. They are abundant and thus naturally I had an abudance of study with and about them.

And of course we can see folly as a scale and call everybody a fool, but this kind of nitpicky refusal to read between the lines would be folly.

thank you

you are on the right path