laughingblade

Breath holding in neidan

I've come across a teacher using long breath holds, particularly empty holds, as part of the firing process in neidan.

I'm wondering does this have any genuine lineage connection? I've certainly only encountered normal or reverse breathing.

I've encountered emptiness breath sublimation practices in G-Tummo (Tibetan) and in my experiences with Longmen Pai.  I expect it's shared by many traditions under a variety of names and to a myriad of potential applications.

It's surprisingly potent for me.  I play it sparingly.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, laughingblade said:

I'm wondering does this have any genuine lineage connection?

Not in my Longmen tradition - at least not contrived holding... though it does happen of its own accord at a certain stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laughingblade said:

I've come across a teacher using long breath holds, particularly empty holds, as part of the firing process in neidan.

I'm wondering does this have any genuine lineage connection? I've certainly only encountered normal or reverse breathing.

IME it does have a genuine lineage connection. And it should be practiced with caution, few at a time and with breaks between days. 

Thanks bums.

I'd come across the vase breath in tummo from Glenn Mullin & Lama Yeshe and had good results with the syllables, channels and so on. But that's held on a full breath.

The only empty hold I've seen until now has been Wim Hoff of course. I'll take it gently according to advice, and note that it is really quite enticing.

On 2021-01-03 at 8:21 PM, freeform said:

Not in my Longmen tradition - at least not contrived holding... though it does happen of its own accord at a certain stage.

The same in my tradition. 

And then it passes, like so many other sensations that accompany practice. 

• Like 1

I fall into it naturally, during longer meditations. kinda luxuriating in its emptiness.

• Like 3