Back in November, I joined a small temple on a religious pilgrimage to the south of Taiwan. Their flavor of folk Daoism focuses on self-mortification rituals performed by spirit-mediums (Taiwanese Hokkien: Tangki, 童乩; Chinese: Jitong, 乩童; literally: "Divining Child"), who are believed to channel the spirit of their god, in this case the "Great Sage Equaling Heaven" (Qitian Dasheng, 齊天大聖), better known as the Monkey King Sun Wukong (孫悟空). The self-mortification serves several purposes. First, hacking, skewering, and poking the body with various weapons is considered a form of self-sacrifice. Second, the weapons that pierce the flesh are believed to imbue the Tangki with spiritual power needed in their battle with demonic forces that pervade every corner of daily life. Third, the resulting blood is believed to have demonifugic properties, hence the reason it is smeared on paper talismans and clothing. Overall, the ritual is performed to exorcize evil spirits that cause bad luck and mental and physical illnesses.

The Tangki wear ritual bibs normally associated with babies in Asian culture. As noted above, the Hokkien/Chinese word for spirit-medium means “Divining Child”. This refers to the centuries-old belief that children were the mouthpiece of gods. In fact, the mediums are known to speak in a shrill voice known as “shen (, god) language”. The fact that their back is bare refers to ancient Shang-Zhou period rituals in which a sacrificial victim was exposed to the elements.

Though small, the temple I accompanied, has an astounding seven Tangki, each who channels one of seven monkey god spirits. Five joined the pilgrimage, including the senior Tangki, his son, and his disciples. The ritual they performed to ensure the trip’s safety was the same as that completed at each of the temples we visited. The Tangki donned their ritual garb, the aforementioned bib and a tri-panel apron, and held a command flag in their left hand as they formed a line. A young acolyte (or sometimes the senior Tangki) held an incense pot up to their face until they worked themselves into a trance. Once the monkey god spirit took over, the Tangki struck a martial pose and held out their right hand, thus signaling an attendant to bring them a ritual sword (this was completed for each Tangki in turn). The first Tangki walked out to the center of the specified area (in front of the temple) and pointed to the ground with the sword, where attendants set fire to spirit money in a small metal pan. The Tangki waved their command flag over the fire before hacking their back with the sword. Then they performed a ritual walk to a new location and lit four more fires. The five fires in total represent the celestial generals of the five cardinal camps (N, S, E, W, and Center), which are led by the monkey god in combat. The following Tangki start with a sword but change to different weapons at each new fire pot. These include an ax, a spiked club, a saw fish nose sword, and a spiked ball. All the while, temple members play drums and gongs.  

The weapon hits are superficial but still draw enough blood to drip down the back. Spirit money is tucked into the back of the pants to soak up the blood. Once the ritual is over, their backs are sprayed with alcohol and briefly wiped. It’s interesting that the blood almost immediately stops flowing. The hacking is performed so much that their backs are left in a permanent raw, pink state. I must note that the self-mortification ritual performed by this temple is quite tame compared to what I’ve read about in Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore, where they skewer their cheeks and backs with all manner of rods, spears, and hooks.  

I have video of the ritual. I’ll try to add some in a future post. In the meantime, please enjoy these photos. And before I forget, Happy New Year!

!!!BLOOD WARNING!!!

DU1D6f.jpg

U3zjpC.jpg

3bDc1m.jpg

1Xb5p4.jpg

YkjyPw.jpg

0j50H1.jpg

5lCLjB.jpg

6jPyny.jpg

aNjWGs.jpg

3gziDH.jpg

mzLAYt.jpg

UYAQqc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Very interesting post. Love me some good old folk animism. :D

Working with blood as an offering can be very powerful, though not recommend for the unskilled or in a "wack-a-mole way". Obviously these people have a long time relationship with the king and thus a well-tested procedure...so that's great.  

Could you describe the various aspects (7) of the Monkey King that the Temple works with? 

Edited by RiverSnake
  • Like 2

Yes, Thailand offers a more raw version of this, even more than Malaysia's. Singapore has somewhat muted theirs in recent years. I've witnessed these *celebrations* live many times in the past here in SE Asia. 

There are quite a few interesting youtube clips available.

Keen parties, search "Nine emperor gods festival Malaysia" or "Phuket vegetarian festival" (add 'trance ritual' for more bite)

(Beware graphic contents)

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, C T said:

Yes, Thailand offers a more raw version of this, even more than Malaysia's. Singapore has somewhat muted theirs in recent years. I've witnessed these *celebrations* live many times in the past here in SE Asia. 

There are quite a few interesting youtube clips available.

Keen parties, search "Nine emperor gods festival Malaysia" or "Phuket vegetarian festival" (add 'trance ritual' for more bite)

(Beware graphic contents)

Yes, I've seen pictures. I thought the bike through the cheek was pretty hardcore.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

Very interesting post. Love me some good old folk animism. :D

Working with blood as an offering can be very powerful, though not recommend it for the unskilled or in a "wack-a-mole way". Obviously these people have a long time relationship with the king and thus a well-tested procedure...so that's great.  

Could you describe the various aspects (7) of the Monkey King that the Temple works with? 

I'm still gathering information on the temple, so I can't give you an accurate answer right now. I do have pictures, though (see below). Worshiping numerous Monkey Kings is common to his religion. From what I've gathered at other temples, each serves a specific purpose. See section two of my article here for a description of one Monkey King temple's pantheon. 

IXxBas.png

0z7POo.png

kqYFMn.png

4aMwxU.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

A good interview talking about Thai Occultism. I've heard good things about the Author Jenx's books. 

Thank you. I'll definitely give it a listen.

I'd read about the red bibs in relation to different village festivals, specifically related to cults associated with Nezha. I'd thought they were part of that deities livery as opposed to a more general symbol of transformation. 

Edited by Sketch

A side point about Thai cultural awareness of amulets and perception of what "is" and "isn't". 

While I was in Thailand,  I wore a small black ceramic ocarina on a leather lace around my neck. Several times, Thais noticed it, asked about it...and lost all interest in it as an amulet when I tooted a note on it. 

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I am wondering how ancient these type of rituals are .     Some of the Australian Indigenous practices ( still extant in some places , if not, only recently  stopped   historically )  are some of the oldest in the world and have some similarities - of course the 'cultural clothing ' is different but it is often the method and reason that  is  similar ;

"  ... self-mortification rituals performed by spirit-mediums 1 ..... First, hacking, skewering, and poking the body with various weapons is considered a form of self-sacrifice. Second, the weapons that pierce the flesh are believed to imbue the Tangki with spiritual power needed in their battle with demonic forces that pervade every corner of daily life.2 Third, the resulting blood is believed to have demonifugic properties 3, .... exorcize evil spirits that cause bad luck and mental and physical illnesses.4 "

1.  Although the Shaman may do it to themselves they will often say the spirits did it   to them , eg.   " The spirit threw a quartz rod lance and it pierced my tongue "  and then he shows his tongue with  a large permanent hole trough it .  Other types of 'mortification are accrued over  time , age and level of initiation, scarification seeming the most common  ( cutting with stone or shell and packing the cut with ash )

6a251ac19f614301970a0d000b028b99.jpg

Note :   They do not see it as a 'cruel' process and have a different view about it  from ours .  When they first saw pain ( flogging) being used as a punishment , they where horrified .

2. In the above case , the quartz lance was kept 'inside his body' where it was placed afterwards .  Such things do help in spiritual battles

Men_using_a_pointing_bone,_Aluridja_peop

and they also see the world imbued  with demonic forces that pervade every corner of daily life.

3.   Certain ceremonies where they are covered in blood it is left on , never washed off  - eventually the physical part of the substance wears off .  In some places it can be seen in civilisation ; someone might come into town from a remote area for supplies ; they will be very quiet , 'shy' eyes downcast , usually with a hoodie pulled down and long sleeves over hands . If you get a peak under the hoodie  you might see see the dried  blood in their hair .

4. Yes, they definitely think those things are caused are caused by evil spirits . Hence the rituals and actions to repel or control them .

Of course, a high level shaman  ( kaidiacha  or  'clever man' ) will have those very same 'evil spirits' as his protectors and guardians - trouble comes about by not following their laws , or other peoples misuse of their law and power .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nungali said:

Of course, a high level shaman  ( kaidiacha  or  'clever man' ) will have those very same 'evil spirits' as his protectors and guardians - trouble comes about by not following their laws , or other peoples misuse of their law and power .

Very often, its a symbiotic relationship - the shamans perform rites and make ritual offerings to 'feed' these spirits in return for 'favours'. 

13 hours ago, C T said:

Very often, its a symbiotic relationship - the shamans perform rites and make ritual offerings to 'feed' these spirits in return for 'favours'. 

Yes they do. But in my tradition it is a little different .   The favours are freely given to those that follow Law , just by asking for them and then the  offerings are given to show   appreciation and gratitude .

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

Yes they do. But in my tradition it is a little different .   The favours are freely given to those that follow Law , just by asking for them and then the  offerings are given to show   appreciation and gratitude .

What happens should such offerings be withheld, for whatever reason? 

I dont feel as good and joyful about all the things I have been given.  I sort of 'take them for granted' and the amazing miracle of just being alive .... and everything that comes after it , passes me by . 

On 1/1/2021 at 9:59 AM, Nungali said:

I am wondering how ancient these type of rituals are .     Some of the Australian Indigenous practices ( still extant in some places , if not, only recently  stopped   historically )  are some of the oldest in the world and have some similarities - of course the 'cultural clothing ' is different but it is often the method and reason that  is  similar ;

[...]

That is interesting. Thank you. I'm sure such beliefs are many thousands of years old. 

For those interested in reading more about Tangki, I have attached a book chapter on the subject.

Vessels for the Gods - Tang-ki Spirit Mediums.pdf

• Thanks 1