rocala

Meditation Mystery

I had been going through a period when my meditation was not going well. I usually do breath counting and sometimes metta bhavana. I was going to stay at a community in the countryside, which had a building set aside for meditation. Each morning there is a one hour silent meditation. I thought this was just what I need.

First two days, just an hour of monkey mind each morning. In the house that I stayed in there was a large collection of books which I enjoyed browsing through. I saw a quote in one book that struck me as really beautiful and I had the idea of meditating on it.

So on the third morning I gave it a try. I don't recall anything except a sort of day dream in which I was standing in a wheat field. The sun was very hot and was hurting my eyes a little. I was clothed differently, my arms and legs were bare. Then the gong sounded end of session. A whole hour had gone in what felt like seconds.

I was a little puzzled but had a very strong feeling of peace which was with me for most of the day. That was about 5-6 years ago but when I think about it I can still feel the sun on my face and the wheat against my legs and left hand. It was all so incredibly real.

Strangely I could not recall a word of the quote nor could I remember which book it was from. I have no idea what I experienced that morning.

Edited by rocala
omission
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rocala said:

I had been going through a period when my meditation was not going well. I usually do breath counting and sometimes metta bhavana. I was going to stay at a community in the countryside, which had a building set aside for meditation. Each morning there is a one hour silent meditation. I thought this was just what I need.

First two days, just an hour of monkey mind each morning. In the house that I stayed in there was a large collection of books which I enjoyed browsing through. I saw a quote in one book that struck me as really beautiful and I had the idea of meditating on it.

So on the third morning I gave it a try. I don't recall anything except a sort of day dream in which I was standing in a wheat field. The sun was very hot and was hurting my eyes a little. I was clothed differently, my arms and legs were bare. Then the gong sounded end of session. A whole hour had gone in what felt like seconds.

I was a little puzzled but had a very strong feeling of peace which was with me for most of the day. That was about 5-6 years ago but when I think about it I can still feel the sun on my face and the wheat against my legs and left hand. It was all so incredibly real.

Strangely I could not recall a word of the quote nor could I remember which book it was from. I have no idea what I experienced that morning.

I would say that those first two days of monkey mind were not as unproductive as you might think.

Good meditation isn't sitting there and making your mind quiet. It's just sitting there and letting whatever happens happen even if it happens to be monkeys 🐵. 

Still it would be interesting to know what it was that you read.

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rocala said:

I was a little puzzled but had a very strong feeling of peace which was with me for most of the day.

Do you vividly recollect that peaceful feeling? What happens when you simply go back to that feeling now?

4 minutes ago, dwai said:

Do you vividly recollect that peaceful feeling? What happens when you simply go back to that feeling now?

I have tried this quite a few times over the years and the result was usually good. As time goes by the effect seems weaker. When writing the post I did find myself smiling, the recollection then was quite strong.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Still it would be interesting to know what it was that you read.

You are so right. The thing is so odd because I have a very good memory for words. This was also something that I had found to be striking and had made a point of memorizing it. I am sure this was no ordinary memory lapse.

7 minutes ago, rocala said:

I have tried this quite a few times over the years and the result was usually good. As time goes by the effect seems weaker. When writing the post I did find myself smiling, the recollection then was quite strong.

I am inclined to suggest that you introspect on this peaceful feeling. Who is it that experiences this peaceful feeling? Is it the mind (monkey mind) or is it something else?

• Like 1

Thank you @dwai I feel that this is good advice. When it happened I was away for two weeks. This involved both study and social/community activities. Pretty busy and things can get pushed aside. Lately though it keeps coming to mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

When you put yourself in retreat under optimal conditions for cultivation....strange things can happen. 

Very true I believe. I am far from a beginner, but at what point do we stop being beginners, if we ever do?

Beginner: Your lost

Intermediate: You have a moderate grasp of things

Advanced: Not much catches you by surprise....you've got a decent map....but know there are greater depths 

Edited by RiverSnake
  • Like 1