Ghostexorcist

Keep getting "Banned" messages

Dear moderators,

I am new. I've only made a few posts but I keep on getting banned notifications and I'm not sure why. There are no warnings. In order to access the site, I switch the location on my VPN. Is it because my VPN is changing my address to someone who has been banned for bad behavior, or did I actually break a rule. If it's the latter, why no warning? Can someone please explain? Thank you. 

Edited by Ghostexorcist

@Ghostexorcist

You have no warnings and have not broken any rules to my knowledge.

I suspect your VPN is creating the problem.

I've tagged @Trunk to see if he knows more than I about use of VPN's and problems accessing the site.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, steve said:

@Ghostexorcist

You have no warnings and have not broken any rules to my knowledge.

I suspect your VPN is creating the problem.

I've tagged @Trunk to see if he knows more than I about use of VPN's and problems accessing the site.

Ok, thank you. That makes sense.

• Like 1

If it keeps happening copy & paste the message you're getting.  It might be a clue.  Wonder if you're logging in on different devices, and one is setting off the message? 

The fact that you're logging in sometimes is a positive sign.

• Like 1

Ban can be associated to the IP address as well. Probably someone in the past had used the same kind of VPN to break the one-account-per-person rule or other mischief.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, thelerner said:

If it keeps happening copy & paste the message you're getting.  It might be a clue.  Wonder if you're logging in on different devices, and one is setting off the message? 

The fact that you're logging in sometimes is a positive sign.

I log in using the same device. I'm an American living in Taiwan. I use a VPN when I want to access Amazon Prime, which doesn't work over here due to international licensing issues.

If I remember correctly, it just says "You have been banned from viewing this site" or something like that. There is no code that goes along with it. 

• Thanks 1

@Ghostexorcist

1. Can you log onto TDBs when you're not on your VPN?

If that goes ok, then *bingo* to what everyone has been suggesting: the vpn is the sticking pt (maybe 'cause we banned someone before from it).

2. If it's convenient for you to log on regularly here outside of your vpn?, then *yippee*: all solved.

If not, well... I'm not sure if we can go further than that.

- Trunk

• Thanks 1