Sign in to follow this  
ShenGoku

Astrology?

Hi ShenGoku

I consider astrology very real and useful. That's why I made it one of my major fields of study and practice since about 30 years.

Not sure what exactly you mean by 'mainstream' though. The kind of astrology you encounter in the back newspapers and magazines? Modern Western astrology in general? There are many schools and individual approaches... Despite technical differences, most of them agree on basic elements and principles.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ShenGoku said:

Is astrology real? Like the astrology that people study mainstream?

I guess that would mean what you define as "real".

Part of me thinks its interesting on one hand.

Another part of my brain does not understand how hunks of rock and gas in space affect our lives here on Earth?

I watched a video on youtube of a channel called "conscience" and a young boy predicted whats happening in 2020 using vedic astrology

1 hour ago, dmattwads said:

Another part of my brain does not understand how hunks of rock and gas in space affect our lives here on Earth?

Is our own planet a hunk of rock (with at least a bit of gas alright) to you? Or is it a living organism that has a soul of its own?

Astrology is based on an understanding that considers the whole cosmos to be teeming with life and consciousness. The visible planets are the bodies of the gods in the traditional view.

And you were (and ever continue to be) intimately connected to them, as the macrocosm became a microcosm when you were created as an individual being.

1 hour ago, ShenGoku said:

I watched a video on youtube of a channel called "conscience" and a young boy predicted whats happening in 2020 using vedic astrology

Interesting! Would you happen to have a link?

In regard to these:

On 12/23/2020 at 12:14 PM, ShenGoku said:

Is astrology real? Like the astrology that people study mainstream?

and

On 12/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, dmattwads said:

Is astrology real: I would say that that "real" usually means, does astrology work as a means of determining the personality and character of people and can it be used to gain an insight into future events.  Based on decades of experience using astrology, I would have to answer yes, astrology works.

Another part of my brain does not understand how hunks of rock and gas in space affect our lives here on Earth? Both gravity and light from these rocks affect our lives here on earth, and in modern physics these rocks and the big gas aggregation kind of in the middle really cannot be separated from us in any significant way.  More importantly in modern physics there is plenty of room for as yet undetermined causes which could effect our lives here on earth.  Since Minkowski reformulated Einsteins theory of relativity in four dimensional space/time the number of extra dimensions required to explain the simplest interactions between these rocks and gas clusters has risen significantly, even by the late twenties of the last Century Kaluza-Klein physics required five dimensions to create a unified model of gravity and electromagnetism, and I can assure you five dimensions leaves lots of space and time for alternate explanations, things undreamt of in most physicists philosophy, but which were considered quite compatible with the Platonic/Aristotelian worldview that characterized Western philosophy from the Hellenistic period to 1700 or so.

When I started studying astrology in the late sixties it was a significant investment in time and money just to get the books necessary to do the calculations by hand with pen and paper.  Nowadays if you want to fool around with it you have no excuse, here are reviews of Thirteen free astrology programs that will allow you to fool around to your hearts content:

Reviews of Thirteen Free Astrology Programs

There are programs for both Western and Indian astrology which are very similar and indeed large parts of Indian astrology can be traced to a Hellenistic Greek astrology text as can be seen in this discussion of the Yavanajataka one of the fundamental texts of Indian astrology.

There are probably free Chinese astrology programs out there which will allow one to fool around with Chinese astrology also.  There are several types of Chinese astrology and unlike Indian astrology they are different enough from Western astrology that they should be studied separately, but they also work.  They are simply a different interface for getting readouts from the cosmos.

I hope that this is helpful.

ZYD

• Like 2

On 24/12/2020 at 7:43 AM, dmattwads said:

Its basically  due to positional arrangements  -  one example ;

perigeanspringtide-large.jpg   image.thumb.png.aa94d121b5f6dfffb941829dbcb6bd0e.png

eg.  fish feeding times and general rest / activity cycles  relate to the position of Sun and Moon ; fish are more active when the Moon is 'under foot'  / IC  (immum coeli  - bottom of the sky ) . Also  more active when Moon is at O   deg  (Moon rise )  90 ( Moon Noon ) and Moon set . Not as much so with these same positions of the Sun but even more so when they align  eg .   the best seems Moon at IC while sunset is happening   - they are jumping out the water - going crazy . When this isnt happening with sun and moon , you can dangle bait in their faces and they will not take it .

same with cows and their  active grass eating , and 'dozing' / chewing cud   cycles  ( no they dont just wake in the day and sleep at night ) but its a  complex trigger relating to Moon cycles .

The effect on vegetation and agriculture is more well known and has existed for 1000s of years   ( but not so much known about or used in modern 'super agriculture' ) .

Its the same with the 'less obvious' planets  and astrology - influence is more about ( and used to be more about )   the angular relationships between bodies and not their lone  positional relationship within the 'grid'  -  ie, hardly any overriding influence of the Sun's position in relation to the 'signs'  ( grid )   and more so , modernly, the natal Sun ( eg ; "I am a Leo "  )  , but a more important relationship between natal Sun's position in relation to your position on earth (and the angle that makes )  ie ; 'houses'  especially the 1st  (  "rising sign'   @  O deg )

;

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Astrology may have a truth, but it is hard to decipher.  Let's take a look at what it actually is.  

1.  Fact 1 - astrology is based on "fixed" star systems beyond the Milky Way galaxy.  

2.  Fact 2 - these star systems are then "imagined to be" shapes of certain mythical beings and animals...each of which contain certain qualities unique to their own imagined form... which was collectively created and changed through time by cultures.

3.  Point 1 - I can imagine a figure or shape on anything outside of myself by way of my imagination.... but that doesn't make my shape really there or carry any type of quality of significance at all...  

4.  Fact 3 - the whole system of astrology is based on the relative position of the earth, the sun, and the zodiac.  The zodiac signs are just used as basically place holders for degree spans within a 360 degree circle or sphere that surrounds our galaxy... and there are stars within them that are not visible to the naked eye, which means the popular "constellations" of the zodiac while existent do not provide all the influence in the span of their little place amongst the total 360 degrees.    ( 30 degrees each ) 360 /12.  

5.  Conclusion - if one believes in cosmic forces beyond our galaxy having an effect on one's personality, than what else do these cosmic forces have effects on?  I mean they are giant cosmic forces... people's little personalities on our planet cannot be the only thing that cause or effect...so what else is there?  Can anything else be seen?  Even if these spans of 30 degrees have an effect on people, what is the effect?  I mean we clearly already showed that drawing imaginary mythical beings is totally hogwash... as I can draw something totally different than what is already accepted as true and say it is true... I can draw a mythical whatever and say it has this whatever energy....  so that aspect of astrology is scarily misguided and foolish.  

6.  There could be some significance to it - I mean many occult schools of thought place some level of significance to the zodiac, mostly because it is unchanged... and occult people like to notice things and draw conclusions, and everyone likes to believe everything is connected... lol.  The real questions are more like, to what extent are they connected?  I am, you are, the tree is, the planets are, etc. etc.  what an ant does doesn't affect what happens in the suns core, what I do doesn't affect what happens to you across the world and vice versa not in a practical sense, what the moon does doesn't affect what stars outside the galaxy do, does it?  I mean how would you ever know?

Astrology is like the Tarot;  it contains basic things that every person can encounter in life, organized in such a way as to make one think they are going through it at that moment, when really, it is broad, and can apply to anyone at any time.  

Sign in to follow this